Test yourself with a ‘Jeopardy!’ category about Boy Scout knots

No, not this kind of Boy Scout tie.

Despite some of the misperceptions out there, today’s Scouts do so much more than tying knots.

But don’t get me wrong: If you need someone to fashion a bowline, finding a Boy Scout is still your best option.

The BSA’s century-old, um, ties to the world of knots became its own Jeopardy! category in yesterday’s episode.

It’s actually the third time (that I know of) that the BSA has been featured on the classic show of answers and questions in the past two years.

Both of the previous appearances were in 2010, the BSA’s anniversary year. Read those recaps and test yourself here and here.

Here are the answers from yesterday’s category, “Boy Scout Ties.” See how many you know, and then find the questions at the end of this post.

Can you get all five?

$200

$400

$600

$800

$1000

Scroll to find the correct questions below!

Correct questions:

• $200 – What is “A Good Turn”?
  • $400 – What is a tent?
  • $600 – What are Cub Scouts?
  • $800 – What is Splicing?
  • $1000 – What is a Bear Bag?

How many did you get?

Did you get all five? Were these too easy? Leave your thought below.

46 Comments on Test yourself with a ‘Jeopardy!’ category about Boy Scout knots

1. Yes -all five, as any Eagle Scout and/or leader should

2. I got all five! But I feel misled. I thought they’d be asking the types of knots.

• That might be too tough for these “regular” Jeopardy! players… ha!

-Bryan

3. No problem. Did the Jeopardy contestants get them all?

• They got all but the first one, actually. Someone guessed “Good Deed” but nobody knew “Good Turn.”

-Bryan

• Katie Squire // June 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm // Reply

No they did not.

4. I got all of them, but I answered Tiger Scouts for the leader knot….

• The Tiger knot wasn’t gold/blue. It looked like this:

• Or like this….

5. Scot Taber // June 28, 2012 at 11:39 am // Reply

All five!!! Still got it after all this time!!!

6. We were at Venture Crew last night and missed Jeopardy. Thank you fro sharing the questions. We got all five, but my son was sad that there weren’t any knot questions. They were about knot uses. By the way, he didn’t need to learn splicing until the Pioneering merit badge which isn’t Eagle-required. Splicing is cool.

7. Remind me never to go camping with a Boy Scout that thinks you should use a clove hitch with a bear bag. Granted, it’s a lot worse than how people think a square knot is a good joining knot.

• Actually at Philmont they teach using a clove hitch for securing bear bags. I agree that the square knot should never be used as a joining knot.

• scoutmaster // June 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm // Reply

No Rich, actually at Philmont they use a Larkshead to tie up the bear bags.

• Superstar // July 6, 2012 at 9:47 pm //

The rangers at Philmont compare the larkshead to the clove hitch.

• Exactly. The clove hitch is worthless if there’s any lateral pulling. Or if it slacks off. Which is why we use the Lark’s Head at the Ranch. The constrictor/boa/etc knots would work as well, but no scout actually learns any of those. And the Lark’s Head is much easier to teach to crews.

• Knot Master // July 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm //

Oh contraire, the constrictor know it taught in the pioneering merit badge

• It’s a good knot to tie around the open end of the bag, but a constrictor knot would be better and more secure.

• If only scouting taught useful knots like the constrictor…. I’m overjoyed when I have the chance to teach scouts something useful like a follow through figure eight knot.

• I have always used the clove hitch when securing the stick that rests against the carabiner when using the PCT method of hanging bear bags. Using this method I have never had an Adirondack Bear steal my grub.

8. 5, easy peasy.

9. More info on the first knot here:

10. Got em all!! Did the contestants get them also?

11. Gimme 5!

12. Got all 5. Pretty good for an old Cub Scouter. Still do Roundtable for Cubs and this year did Day Camp. My youngest son is an Eagle and District Camping Chairman so maybe that helped. I thought they were too easy.

13. Five of Five!

14. Five of Five… Life Scout from the 50′s, Order of the Arrow (national convention delegate), Cubmaster, Commissioner, Merit Badge counselor for a half dozen badges, and finally member of the adult leader wardroom for the Sea Scouts (and donor of two sailboats to the Sea Scouts)

15. Reblogged this on Algonquin District and commented:
    Jeopardy Fun! See how many you can get!

16. I got all 5, I think most Scouters know this stuff…

17. Tina Muller // June 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm // Reply

I am not offically involved in boy scouts yet, my oldest son is going into first grade, but I got all of the questions right! yay for background reading.

18. Margaret McCamy // June 28, 2012 at 7:39 pm // Reply

I got all 5 of the responses right. Being involved in Boy Scouts for the past 26 years, I should know all of this by now. Yours in Scouting.

19. Robert Wiseman // June 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm // Reply

I got all five, had to reread a few first though :)

20. Got all five… And note the misspelling of Alternative on the last question…. I guess the writers didn’t take “Be Prepared” (with a dictionary) to heart…..

• Pretty sure they spelled the word they were looking for correctly.

• H. David Pendleton // June 20, 2014 at 5:36 pm // Reply

“Bear Bag” is an alliterative. Definition: Alliteration is the repetition of the same sounds or of the same kinds of sounds at the beginning of words or in stressed syllables of a phrase.

21. missed the “splicing” one

22. James English // June 28, 2012 at 10:47 pm // Reply

Got all five. Too easy.

23. I hate to be a party pooper but I also was misled on #4 and thought it was the “square knot” or the “joining” knot…join 2 ropes together, and I’m pretty sure that of all the leaders saying they got them all, the majority probably said the same answer then saw “splicing” and said “that makes sense” and now understands the answer and accepted it as correct. I could be wrong and I know lots of you will say so, but am I?

24. Alliterative…it’s correct - the repetition of a sound, especially a consonant, for rhetorical or poetic effect. Also called adnomination, agnomination, annomination, alliterative.

25. Oops…meant to add…ba…ba…ba…bear, ba…ba…ba…bag.

26. 5 for 5 – Scoutmaster for 13 years and counting

27. H. David Pendleton // June 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm // Reply

I got all 5, but if they had been actually about knots I may have missed more.

28. Mel Koford // June 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm // Reply

On 4 the reference to film gave it away- splicing film is a common term. Thanks for sharing this.

29. Dan Gorski // June 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm // Reply

Too easy :-)

30. Wayne Lettieri // June 20, 2014 at 9:57 pm // Reply

Much too easy

31. James Moorehead // June 21, 2014 at 5:06 pm // Reply

Yes, all 5 here. I guess I learned something as a boys scout, adult leader, or both

2 Trackbacks & Pingbacks