Step aboard for high adventure on the high seas at the Florida Sea Base.
With treks in the Florida Keys, Bahamas and U.S. Virgin Islands, the Florida National High Adventure Sea Base offers once-in-a-lifetime adventures customized to the interests of your Scouts and Venturers.
Start planning your 2019 or 2020 trek now. Before you know it, you’ll be exploring the ocean, scoping out coral reefs, sailing, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, ocean kayaking, camping and enjoying all kinds of extreme adventure.
Scouts and Venturers can choose from 20 different Sea Base adventures at six spectacular locations. Learn scuba diving at a five-star PADI Instructor Development Resort. Camp on Sea Base’s own primitive barrier island. Enjoy a STEM program where you’ll catch and tag sharks to collect critical scientific data. The possibilities are positively oceanic.
Multiple winter, spring and summer 2019 dates are available. Registration for 2020 adventures will open on Jan. 15, 2019.
Here’s what else you need to know about planning a trip to this underwater wilderness.
Sea Base 2019 and 2020 registration info
- 2019: Multiple 2019 winter, spring and summer dates are available! Go here to learn more and make a reservation.
- 2019 Marine STEM Spring Adventures: Many high schools allow students to miss classes to participate in STEM-based adventures like this one. Imagine taking a week away from school to explore the Florida Keys, catch and tag sharks and grow endangered coral. Participants will snorkel the Florida Barrier Reef and Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary while learning to identify coral bleaching. They’ll kayak through sea grass and mangrove habitats. And they’ll build underwater robots and fly drones — all in the name of science. Go here to learn more.
- 2020: The “early open” reservation period for winter, spring and summer 2020 adventures begins at 9 a.m. ET on Jan. 15, 2019. It closes at 5 p.m. ET on Feb. 13, 2019.
- Note: This isn’t a lottery system. These 2020 reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sea Base anticipates that more than a thousand users will access the reservation system on Jan. 15, so Be Prepared. You’ll want to have a list of multiple dates and adventures prior to entering the reservation system. Have a check or credit card available to pay the $250 deposit that will secure your adventure.
What’s new at Sea Base?
12-participant adventures to St. Thomas
Want to sail in St. Thomas and bring more than eight crew members? Sea Base will begin offering sailing adventures for crews of up to 12 participants in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, beginning in 2020.
A sailing adventure with a stop in Key West
Want to sail to Key West? Sea Base will open a new sailing adventure that spends time in Key West, Fla., beginning in 2020.
More summer dates
At Sea Base, demand regularly exceeds the supply of available adventures.
In an effort to meet this demand, Sea Base is expanding the number of summer adventures available starting in 2020.
Other Florida Sea Base news you need
- Sea Base programs serve Explorers, Scouts, Sea Scouts, STEM Scouts and Venturers who are 13 or older by their date of arrival.
- Sea Base is open for Winter, Spring and Summer adventures!
- Do participants have to be able to swim? Yes. All participants, both youth and adults, must pass the standard BSA Swim Test as a Swimmer prior to arrival. Sea Base has no programs for non-swimmers or beginners.
- Do participants need to be seasoned sailors to participate? Absolutely not! Sea Base provides licensed captains aboard every vessel.
- Sea Base hires staff and interns over the age of 18 to work in the Florida Keys and U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more here.
Support the BSA National High Adventure Base Camp Scholarship Fund
Your support can help bridge the gap between ambition and access, allowing Scouts to participate in life-changing experiences at BSA’s National High Adventure Bases. Help make epic adventures a reality that will ignite a lifelong passion for the outdoors.Donate Today