Latest Posts

In full gear: Here’s your first look at Lion Scouts T-shirts and hats

If seeing is believing, prepare to be a believer.

This week we get our first look at the new T-shirts and caps to be worn by Lions — members of the pilot program for kindergarten boys set to roll out in participating councils this fall.

The team behind Lions has already answered many of your most-pressing questions and clarified that Lions will wear T-shirts instead of the blue button-up uniform shirts worn by Cub Scouts.

Today we get to see those T-shirts and optional caps Lions will wear as their uniform. My two-word review: They’re perfect.

My 13-word review: They’ll help Lions look cool and feel like they’re part of something great.

Which they are. Lions introduces boys to the fun and values of Scouting in an age-appropriate way.

Take a look at more Lion gear below, including stickers, the Adventure Book for youth, the Parent and Leader Guidebook, a sharp-looking polo shirt and a patch.

The patch is intended as recognition for the hard work and accomplishment of earning all of the required Lion adventures.

If you’re in a council participating in the Lion pilot, your Scout Shop will soon learn how to obtain these great products.

Lion-Designs

27 Comments on In full gear: Here’s your first look at Lion Scouts T-shirts and hats

1. I am in a Council that has been selected to participate. But it would be nice to see the actual requirements for the required and elective adventure before my Pack decides to implement.

• Check with your council. Ours is participating and is having a rollout meeting for district personnel on May 2 and for Unit personnel on May 9.

• Connie Knie // April 29, 2016 at 1:18 pm // Reply

Man I wish we were rolling out in such a timely manner. For the fall? We are getting the stuff in Sept….sigh

• We’ve used the pictured Lion Adventure Book (for the boys) and accompanying Lion Parent & Leader Guidebook. They’re packaged together, along with the stickers that are awarded when the Lion Scout finishes a Lion Adventure.

The Lion adventures are age-appropriate and fun. You’ll recognize the same themes that the older Cub Scouts adventures are based on.

• They don’t impress me as challenging enough. In fact, it evokes thoughts of preschool. With enumerated requirements for Cub Scouts and the most stringent Boy Scout advancement standards ever, it’s not solid enough. If you wait too long to provide details, councils are going to get duped, and the analysis of the pilot’s efficacy will be inaccurate.

2. How will boys wear rank once they hit 5 (Lion, Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf, & Bear)?

• Bryan Wendell // April 28, 2016 at 9:40 am // Reply

Hi, Mike. That was an error in my original post. The patch simply is intended as a recognition item for all the hard work during Lions.

3. Didn’t BSA learn a lesson with the Tigers and their orange t-shirts? They want to be a part of the Pack not a separate group. Put them in the blue uniforms just like the rest of the Pack!!! Same mistake, just years later, AGAIN!!!

• But the age group is different. Remember that we tailor the program to the level of the boy. The loose association with a Pack is a good reason to not go to the full blue uniform.

BTW, I wonder if the participants will consider the shirt to be optional and use the hat as the uniform.

• I see and understand the comment about the age group being different….but let’s look that 800 pound gorilla sitting in the corner in the eye and deal with the underlying situation. If you were the parent of a new “Lion” and were told either: (a) Your son is only part of the pack on certain occasions or (b) a separate entity yet still expected to pay dues, participation fees (for certain “age appropriate” events)….would you not consider that being a second class citizen?

I am normally not a “cut and paste person” but this comes directly from the Cub Scout portal of the national BSA web site: “Since its beginning, the Cub Scout program has been a fun and educational experience concerned with values. Besides providing a positive place where boys can enjoy safe, wholesome activities, Cub Scouting focuses on building character, improving physical fitness, teaching practical skills, and developing a spirit of community service.”

No where in that statement do I see limitations on age. If the BSA is choosing to make Lions part of the Cub Scouting Program….then do exactly that. Don’t make a half-hearted, different uniform wearing and separate from the pack slap to the face of the Lion and his parents. Having said that I also would recommend that the Guide to Safe Scouting’s Age Appropriate Activity Listing be modified to include Lions but keep them in age appropriate activities vice having the Lion and his family standing outside and looking in through the window at pack meetings or other activities they can participate in. Otherwise this is certainly not the diversity and inclusion that Scouting claims to incorporate.

• I am usually a strong proponent of wearing full and correct uniforms. It’s part of what makes Scouting different and valuable. However, I note that many parents balk at full uniforms at early ages due to the rapid growth of the boy and the rapid change of program through only a few years. Perhaps this relaxed uniform is intended to lower the barrier that many parents claim is there.

• Connie Knie // April 29, 2016 at 1:23 pm //

While I don’t really have strong feelings either way as far as tshirt vs Field uniform (just glad there are no iron on paws……LOL). I have to wonder on what planet making the tshirt the uniform tells the parents their boys are not part of the pack?

Actions not uniforms are the most important thing here. My understanding is that they meet as a den once a month and then join the rest of the scouts at the pack meeting. Shoot I hear now where the older dens are only meeting once a month as well……sigh

Just like all of the other dens. And of course they go on outings, and their parent are expected to take on pack positions…..etc……

4. How do find out which councils have been chosen? Is there a list?

5. Our Cub Scout Pack is in the Northern Star Council, which is one of the councils who’ve been piloting a Kindergarten Lion program for years. It’s been a great success for our active 40+ member pack.

To confirm the thought that Rick previously shared, we found that “Lion T-Shirts” didn’t do much to make our Lion Scouts feel like they were part of the pack. To address this, for the last two years our pack’s Kindergarten Lions have instead worn the traditional blue Cub Scout Short Sleeve Shirt with council patch, unit numbers, den number patch, World Crest emblem, etc. We do not provide a neckerchief or slide to our Lions, however we’ve considered making a special one for them.

We regard our Lions as a very important part of our pack. They’re not an add-on, a side group or a little brother patrol. They’re fully integrated into our pack meetings, family camp, outings and council camp opportunities. They are uniformed as such. Our Lions turn into enthusiastic Tigers, Wolves, Bears, Webelos and eventually Boy Scouts.

In our area, sports and many other after school activities start in Kindergarten. When Lions start with us they usually also start with sports. Families learn to adjust early to multiple activities on the calendar.

The t-shirts and hats shown in Bryan’s post look great, and a little nicer than those that were previously available. I’d suggest, however, they’re better suited to be additional optional fun items that families could purchase- somewhat like a “Class B” t-shirt.

I’d encourage packs who are new to the Lion pilot program to learn from our experience. Uniform your Lions with a traditional blue Cub Scout Shirt.

• Thank you for this! Our pack is planning on applying to pilot the program, and I’ve been curious how this actually would work. We already have many existing families who are interested w their younger boys, so I don’t see the point of not including them in all pack activities, including pack meetings. I also love the fact that your Lions actually wear the uniform. Parents who want their boys in Cub Scouts know that there is a uniform expense. There’s no reason to use that as the reason to not uniform Lions as part of the Pack.

6. roger rose // April 28, 2016 at 2:19 pm // Reply

not a uniform question. I have heard and seen the phrase, Lion, Lions, and Lion Scouts. Which one is correct

7. The Iroquois District has a few packs that will be doing it for the Theodore Roosevelt Council.

8. Twin Cities Scouter Mom // April 28, 2016 at 7:49 pm // Reply

I’m a den leader and committee chair in the Twin Cities (Northern Star Council), where we’ve had a Lion program for about 6 years in our Pack of ~80 Scouts. Our Lions wear the blue Class A Cub Scout uniform. We made up a gold trimmed brown neckerchief (with the Lion logo at the back point) for our Lions and they love them. The look just like the older boys in our Pack, and they can keep this uniform until they’re AOL rank, when they get the tan shirt – one less uniform purchase/change for parents – thrifty. Our Lions have monthly den meetings, just like the older ranks. They participate in all Pack meetings, Blue and Gold, PWD, campouts, Polar Cubs, basically anything the rest of the Pack is doing, our Lions do too. They are not diminished in any way. The Lion patch our Council has sold (similar to the one in the photo above) has a little loop on it, so the boys have been wearing it over one of their front pockets on their uniforms. I was told the boys should feel free to afix it permanently if they/their parents wanted, but most just have it looped on. If you cannot get the Lion handbook and accompanying guide in your Councils, see if the Northern Star Council Scout Shops will sell/mail them to you. They used to keep tight control on disseminating them, but I believe they’ve become more broadly available in the last year or so.

• Do you have picture of your uniform? My boy is a lion in the longhouse council pack 33 and we only have the choice of the shirt

9. The new Lion program is very much like the Tiger program when it started. They were supposed to meet once a month and attend only some pack meetings. They were not considered a part of the pack. They had Big Ideas they did They were not supposed to do all the pack activities such as camping. But that is what they wanted to do! Gradually we went from a white t-shirt (with iron-on’s) to an orange t-shirt with Tiger on it (with iron ons). They went thru several different types of iron ons as their program changed. And then they became fully a part of the pack and got a regular uniform. It took a long time to change over but I suspect that it won’t take as long this time. My son would be 34 now and he started several years into the Tiger program. There is already one change. At first it said an experienced scouter would lead the Lions with help of parents; now it says parents will be leaders.

10. Twin Cities Scout Mom // April 30, 2016 at 8:09 am // Reply

For our Lion den leader, we have usually had our Cub Master emeritus lead the Lions for a few months in the fall until one (or more) of the parents in the den steps up to be the leader. The parent leaders are then mentored throughout the year so they learn the cadence of the Scout year. It has worked well for us.

11. Old Scouter // April 30, 2016 at 5:53 pm // Reply

Well, here we go again! BSA found another way t muck up a great program.
    First taking away the premise that Cub Scouting was based on-“The Jungle Book”. Where is AKELA? Where do you think we got the Wolf and Bear ranks from? I still question where the original Lion came from since they don’t exist in India; It should have been the Panther (since Baghera was the guide for the young scout), but I can only hazard a guess as to why not.
    Now we are repeating the mistake made when Tigers were introduced in the early 90’s by not having those boys and parents part of the pack, and which rank will get the axe and no longer be part of the Diamond?
    The most important foul up is the constant watering down of Training. Scouting has become more complex over the past 40 years but we constantly make Training for Cub Leaders less and less because adults don’t seem to want to invest time where it is most important and don’t want to understand that the Cub program is NOT the Boy Scout program nor was it meant to be. A young scout can understand and relate to the Law of the Pack and the Cub Scout Promise, but the Boy Scout Oath and Law???
    I’m just sayin

12. Old Scout // May 3, 2016 at 2:45 pm // Reply

Sorry, my impression remains that the new “Lions” is a repackaging of the ORIGINAL Tiger Cub program, save iron-on paws and orange Tee shirt, for one a earlier boys and parent(s). More member$hip numbers. — The blue Tee is a strong hint that they are “Junior Cubs” and not that seriously a _separate_ program. Time will tell.

And, in a few years, will be in blue shirts with pockets, rank badge, and fully a part of the pack.

13. Maybe we should take another look at what “age-appropriate ” means.. We don’t ever want to underestimate children, especially since our future is in their hands.

14. all the negative comments is discouraging to parents like myself looking up information on joining. I think it is clearly stated that this particular group is a part of a long term pilot program which appears to be in the final phase. With that being explained I think most reasonable people will understand why there are limitations. It seems like BSA has made it fairly easy to tailor this program to the packs individual needs. These comments seem over critical. AS for the uniform I like the idea of them having a special uniform I don’t feel like my son will be excluded and made to feel like he is less of a member. It appears that a lot of these comments are made by people who went through the tiger pilot an dare left a little bitter due to some bumps. But its a pilot program its going to have bumps and issues that’s why they test it out for soo long. My father, brother and husband did scouts when they were younger and I am excited to have my son try it out! But reading these comments makes me a bit apprehensive. Such a negative culture and outlook. Is this what I am to expect from the Scout community? Because the representation here is not the best. This is one of the first article that appeared when I googled Lion scouts.

15. Carrington Fisk // October 12, 2016 at 7:35 pm // Reply

So I’ve been trying to find a way to purchase these shirts online somewhere but have gotten nowhere. Anyone know where to get the shirts?

16. Not finding anything that related to LIONS for the pilot program – only the leader/parent book I had a local printer make up the shirts last year & copied pages from the book myself. We had a golden yellow t-shirt with the Lion emblem printed on the front and yellow folders with the copied pages inside.
    There doesn’t seem much sense to have parents invest in a shirt that the boys will grow out of in less than 6 months! you would not believe how much these guys grow from k to 1rst grade!
    Requirements and pages online seem to work the best!
    I have been a Tiger/ Lion den leader for many years & will continue as long as I am able to get them started. MANY WONDERFUL LEADERS have come to Cubs with their sons over the years.