Take a look at some of my favorite troop trailers

There are some great troop trailers out there, but the best of all? That’s gotta be the one from Troop 1776.

When I asked for photos of your unit’s trailer last week and got the photo above from Patrick Adams, I knew I had found my favorite.

OK, OK. I better come clean.

I’m a Troop 1776 graduate, and Mr. Adams was my first Scoutmaster. So maybe I’m a little biased.

Still, the trailer has what every well-designed Scout trailer needs:

• A striking design
  • The troop’s name and location
  • A phone number or Web site where prospective Scouts can get more information
Troop 1776′s trailer has it all, but it isn’t the only Boy Scout trailer that looks great.

Over the past week, Scouters have sent me photos of their trailers. Some are simple, some are elaborate, but all do the job well.

Here’s a slideshow with some of my favorites:

24 Comments on Take a look at some of my favorite troop trailers

1. Bill Short // April 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm // Reply

Love the creativity of the graphics. Would love to see an article in Scouting Magazine on how the insides are organized to share ideas do someone who might be looking into getting a trailer for their unit. There was an article awhile back about the best vehicles for Scouting purposes. Do units just carry unit gear in the trailer or do they haul individual gear such as backpacks as well. Would be nice to see how the units configure the inside to new their needs. Might be a nice you tube video as well.

• Great ideas, Bill. We’ll give that some serious thought.

• If you do an article on trailers, please also include tips on how to keep them from being stolen. You read about that from time to time. A lot of times, the thieves aren’t after the contents, but they’re after reselling the expensive trailer.

• Scott – you’re in luck! There will be a blog post about that very topic tomorrow!

• We are looking for a new one since ours is rusting out and the axle is bent. Two other local troops bought new ones last year thorough grants. We were originally thinking of a longer one with duel axles but our fear is that the longer ones would have duel axles w/breaks and there may be a time when no one in the troop had a vehicle to pull it. Or the one guy who owns a truck would be required to go on all campouts.

With the cost of gas these days so many are downsizing their transportation. Anything above a single axle might be asking for trouble.

• Just as an FYI solution to dual axle with breaks issue and only have one or two trucks rigged with break controls, found a solution to that issue with a “wireless” controller. The break controller mounts on the trailer and a wireless controller goes in cab and plugs into cigerette lighter. Very cool, allows for almost any 1/2 ton truck like tahoe or suburban with normal 6000 lb class C hitch to pull the trailer.

2. I’d never considered this for our Pack, but it has started thoughts in motion. I’d love to see more info on (a) how units acquired them, (b) organized them, and (c) figured out how to “graphic” them.

• Pack trailers are rare. My local pack got theirs the last years I was there. The CO kicked us out of our storage room but bought us a newer used 18′ trailer :D Issue is when you go camping you take the derby track and rain gutters with you too :(

3. Bill Munro // April 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm // Reply

Great looking outsides, but how about the insides.

• Thor Conley // April 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm // Reply

I agree how about suggested ways to load trailers and must haves!!!! First Aid station with Eye/Hand wash station.

4. I second the thought on how troops have the insides set up. I’d love to hear feedback on how they do it.

5. I third the motion for information on how the insides of the trailers are customized.

My troop has grown from 8 boys to 24 in the last three years.

Our trailer is STUFFED and we are scratching our heads on how to maximize our storage without having to purchase a new trailer.

Even if its just pictures or sketches on the blog here, something soon would be fantastic!

Thanks Bryan!

• Tommy Sexton // May 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm // Reply

Check out this site – http://troop42.com/

• troop42.com site does not work

• try this instead: (forgot the 3 W’s)

6. Good stuff Bryan, thanks for sharing!

7. Wow, was my first thought, what a wrap, and if it gets more boys to join even better.

8. Great site and information!!!
    We just bought a 7X14 enclosed trailer for Troop 20 Hull, Massachusetts and are getting ready to do some graphics and plan out the interior. Ope4n to all ideas. Thanks!!

9. Curtis T. Stiles // October 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm // Reply

My troop just purchased our second trailer. We had a 5′x8′ trailer that we just out grew so we purchased a new 7′x16′ v nose trailer. The trailer was purchased with money from our anual yard sale money. I then went to a company close to us and asked if they would do the vinyl graphics. The only stipulation was it had to have the Troop #, our city & state & Council on it. The rest was up to them and their artist. They agreed to do it and donate the graphics. On the insde we made cabinets in the v nose part and an area to house our pronpane tanks. We also have a rod in the cabinet to hang our Class A uniforms so they are not folded up in packs. If anyone would like photos of the inside and outside you can email me at boyscouttroop81@yahoo.com.

10. Kelly Thorp // May 3, 2013 at 10:43 am // Reply

Responding to Scott’s comment about getting your trailer stolen. We use these utility trailers for our Troop as well as in my company. I recently had one of my company trailers broken into in a hotel parking lot. The hasp of the door where you put the lock on was sawed off. We lost about $30k worth of various equipment. Once we have experienced this, it became painfully obvious that the hasp design on these trailers is very easy to defeat. That said, due to this experience, we researched a better lock and found one that surrounds the entire hasp – these types of locks are available at a good trailer dealer or on-line if you search for them. Search for “utility trailer lock” and you will get plenty results. Just make sure you get the ones that cover the entire hasp. Other suggestions:
    - If you have an external mounted spare tire, use a coated wire cable and padlock to lock it to your trailer (Walmart etc or any hardware store).
    - If you leave your trailer unattended (in a Church parking lot for example), get a longer coated wire cable (12 – 15′) and run it through both tires (or all four) and padlock it so your tires do not get stolen
    - Always use a receiver lock (both on and off the vehicle)
    - Lock your Ball arm to your vehicle
    - If you have multiple trailers, lock them together when not in use
    - Of course, when selecting your security equipment, think of the quality vs. cost. Better locks are more expensive but harder to defeat. It all depends on your area and the risk level.

There are plenty of other options available – it is up to your imagination. I take scouts on extended canoe camping trips and leave the canoe and gear trailers at boat ramps for over a week at a time (usually in remote areas where folks have plenty of time to steal them). I use a combination of all of the above to secure the trailers and removable parts. While we have had cars broken into, after 10 years our trailers have not been tampered with. I wish I could say the same about the company trailer.

• I’d respectfully suggest you skip the coated wire. I’ve seen that tried (on a non-scout trailer), and the thieves just drove off any way. About 5 feet later the turning wheels snapped the wire like kite string. Use a log chain, the biggest, heaviest one you can find, and run it through both wheels. Lock it with at least 2 locks. Don’t just use a little padlock in the receiver lever. Any cheap bolt cutter will take that right off. Use a padlock AND one of those big locks that goes into the hitch (basically a locking ball). Also, most trailers have a rolling tongue jack, so after you unhook the trailer, have a few strong hands help you turn it around and push the hitch end into the parking space first. Preferably a space where the tongue can be chained to a tree, metal post, utility post, etc. This will help prevent the “drag it and go” approach, as well as make the rear doors visible, discouraging lock cutting etc. Park the trailer in the most visible part of the lot. This also deters thieves, plus advertises for your troop/pack. Call the local police and let them know about the trailer and the situation. Luckily, we’re in a small town, and if our officers see anybody they don’t know pulling our trailer, it’ll be time for party lights and sirens. :) Good luck!

11. It is really a nice and useful piece of information.
    I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us.

Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

12. When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now
    each time a comment is added I get three emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

13. Jeff Clausen // August 18, 2014 at 8:17 am // Reply

I pulled up behind a trailer at a car wash and among its many graphics was its name, “Truth”. Yes, you guessed it, the trailer in the next wash bay was named “Knowledge”.

9 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Nine tips for preventing troop trailer theft « Bryan on Scouting
  2. Points in the Paint: Ohio troop’s trailer a slam dunk for the BSA « Bryan on Scouting
  3. What’s inside counts: Send me interior photos or plans of your troop trailer « Bryan on Scouting
  4. Let’s peek inside 5 great troop trailers « Bryan on Scouting
  5. Let’s peek inside 5 great troop trailers - Troop 738 Richmond, VA
  6. Let’s peek inside 5 great troop trailers » Washington District Scouting News
  7. Let’s peek inside 5 great troop trailers | Central Florida Council | Boy Scouts of America
  8. Ask the Expert: How should Scouters handle insurance for troop trailers? « Bryan on Scouting
  9. One of the coolest Scout trailer designs you'll ever see