Hurricane Irma hit the BSA-owned Big Munson Island hard, toppling some trees and stripping bare others.
The 100-acre island, located off Big Pine Key in the lower Florida Keys, is used in the Out Island Program at the BSA’s Florida Sea Base. Treks depart from the Brinton Environmental Center, located on Summerland Key.
Irma brought 3 to 4 feet of sand on the beach at Big Munson, covering the area where some campsites had been located.
While Sea Base general manager Mike Johnson says the devastation “could have been worse,” significant clean-up will be required. Volunteers will be needed beginning Nov. 1; see more info in this post.
“This will likely require a relocation of campsites on the island and possibly different types of tents and coverage depending on vegetation,” Johnson says. “Big Munson Island will survive and bounce back. The topography may be different, but the spirit of Big Munson Island lives on.”
The island, gifted to the BSA’s Florida Sea Base in 1982, gives the Sea Base its own island property for Scouting activities.
In the Out Island Adventure, Scouts and Venturers leave the Brinton Environmental Center and travel 5.5 miles by Polynesian war canoe to the island. Once there, they can fish, snorkel and kayak.
Photos of Big Munson Island after Irma
Sea Base after Irma: The story so far
- Sept. 11: Florida Sea Base staff safe after Hurricane Irma, but damage to base not yet known
- Sept. 13: Sea Base after Hurricane Irma: ‘We’re very fortunate given the severity of the storm’
- Sept. 14: All Sea Base sailing captains safe after Hurricane Irma; here’s what else we know
- Sept. 18: FEMA uses Florida Sea Base facility as search-and-rescue staging area after Hurricane Irma
- Sept. 19: Volunteers needed to help the Florida Sea Base clean up after Hurricane Irma
Support the BSA National High Adventure Base Camp Scholarship Fund
Your support can help bridge the gap between ambition and access, allowing Scouts to participate in life-changing experiences at BSA’s National High Adventure Bases. Help make epic adventures a reality that will ignite a lifelong passion for the outdoors.Donate Today