Update July 17, 2013: The grants have returned for click here for details.
Consider it giving back to those who give back.
Lowe’s, the home-improvement giant with more than 1,700 stores, has teamed up with the BSA and local Scout councils to give selected Eagle Scout candidates a $100 prepaid gift card to be used toward their service projects.
Any Life Scout still in the planning phases of a construction-based Eagle Scout service project is eligible. In other words, if the Scout’s project requires supplies from, say, Lowe’s, it’s eligible.
Your local councils will actually award the money, and councils will get a certain number of awards based on a percentage of their three-year average for Eagle Scout Awards earned.
Here’s what you need to know:
Lowe’s National Eagle Scout Project Impact grant
- The council or district Eagle project review board will determine which projects qualify for a Lowe’s grant.
- The local council will distribute its allotment of the $100 prepaid gift cards to recipients.
- Cards must be used to purchase building materials and equipment for the Eagle candidate’s service project.
- The gift card may be used at any Lowe’s location, but it’s also accepted at other home-improvement stores.
- Scouts who get the gift card are still allowed to request additional donations of materials or money for their project, including asking their neighborhood Lowe’s for supplies.
- Eagle Scout candidates should speak with the local Lowe’s store manager when they arrive. This will help Lowe’s track how well the program is being received.
- Scouts should document their project with “before” and “after” photographs. Photos should show how the materials and equipment purchased with the gift card were used in the project.
How to apply
- Qualified candidates must be registered Life Scouts.
- The Eagle Scout service project must have all approvals before the work begins.
- Complete and submit to your local council the Lowe’s grant application (PDF).
- Use the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook (PDF) to document the results of the service project. Make photographs and all documentation available to the BSA for sharing with Lowe’s.
Submit any questions regarding the Lowe’s National Eagle Scout Project Impact grant to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo from Flickr by user USAG-Humphreys
Support the Eagle Scout Scholarship Fund
Contribute to the National Eagle Scout Association (NESA) Scholarship Fund. Donations to this fund go directly to providing scholarships to deserving Eagle Scouts, allowing them to pursue their dreams and make a positive impact on the world.Donate Today