Lowe’s nails it! Helps pay for Eagle Scout service projects

Update July 17, 2013: The grants have returned for click here for details.

Consider it giving back to those who give back.

Lowe’s, the home-improvement giant with more than 1,700 stores, has teamed up with the BSA and local Scout councils to give selected Eagle Scout candidates a $100 prepaid gift card to be used toward their service projects.

Any Life Scout still in the planning phases of a construction-based Eagle Scout service project is eligible. In other words, if the Scout’s project requires supplies from, say, Lowe’s, it’s eligible.

Your local councils will actually award the money, and councils will get a certain number of awards based on a percentage of their three-year average for Eagle Scout Awards earned.

Here’s what you need to know:

Lowe’s National Eagle Scout Project Impact grant

• The council or district Eagle project review board will determine which projects qualify for a Lowe’s grant.
  • The local council will distribute its allotment of the $100 prepaid gift cards to recipients.
  • Cards must be used to purchase building materials and equipment for the Eagle candidate’s service project.
  • The gift card may be used at any Lowe’s location, but it’s also accepted at other home-improvement stores.
  • Scouts who get the gift card are still allowed to request additional donations of materials or money for their project, including asking their neighborhood Lowe’s for supplies.
  • Eagle Scout candidates should speak with the local Lowe’s store manager when they arrive. This will help Lowe’s track how well the program is being received.
  • Scouts should document their project with “before” and “after” photographs. Photos should show how the materials and equipment purchased with the gift card were used in the project.

How to apply

• Qualified candidates must be registered Life Scouts.
  • The Eagle Scout service project must have all approvals before the work begins.
  • Complete and submit to your local council the Lowe’s grant application (PDF).
  • Use the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook (PDF) to document the results of the service project. Make photographs and all documentation available to the BSA for sharing with Lowe’s.

Questions?

Submit any questions regarding the Lowe’s National Eagle Scout Project Impact grant to lowes.grant@scouting.org.

Photo from Flickr by user USAG-Humphreys

27 Comments on Lowe’s nails it! Helps pay for Eagle Scout service projects

1. Wow, what an awesome program.
    Thanks Lowe’s

2. Lowe’s is awesome. When I was working on my project back in 95-96 They donated cans of Rustoleum paint, sand paper, and I couple of boards to help with building my eagle project. These may seem like small things, but I’m greatly thankful to Lowes for helping, and not just them, but several other local companies who donated goods like concrete, and steel poles for helping build an outdoor basketball court at a recently repurposed school which was not originally built with older elementary age kids in mind.

3. Jennifer shearouse // September 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm // Reply

My son is doing hisOctober 6th. Hope we can get it!

4. Fabulous program, and an expansion of the last years’s program. Last year it was $50 and they had to use it at Lowe’s. Problem is getting someone at the local council that knows how to process it.

5. Bryan, I was not a scout growing up am interested in my son becoming a cub scout. Infact I went so far as to order his uniform and attend one session with the cub scouts. Since then I’ve been lambasted with emails saying its my duty to have my son go sell popcorn and attend ‘blitzes’ and sit in front of Lowes bugging people to sell popcorn.

I’m not comfortable with my son doing this. I’m perfectly comfortable paying for campouts. But the scout master tells me that the dues for a scout are $650 a year. I think this is a rediclously high fee – $60 a month when we only meet twice and what looks like two camp outs a year.

So a few questions – Are the scouts just some ploy to sell popcorn? Can my son be a scout without pressure to attend these popcorn selling events? I’m very turned off by the organization at this time. I had visions of my son learning how to tie knots, pitch tents, build camp fires, and numerous other outdoor activities. So far the only words of wisdom told my son are that it’s his duty to sell popcorn (this was right after we spent $110 on a uniform.

• Selling popcorn is not a required part of Scouting – it is an optional fundraiser. Because it is a national fundraiser, professional scouters are often graded on how much popcorn is sold. Councils, districts, and units may offer incentives and rewards for selling popcorn, and many do.

In my opinion, your unit is far too obsessed with the popcorn fundraiser and those dues are absurd. I would look for another unit to join.

• richard burton // January 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm // Reply

find another unit at: https://beascout.scouting.org/

• Adam davenport // April 18, 2013 at 7:57 pm // Reply

I agree, I’m a life scout and I feel like popcorn doesn’t really show the scout spirit . I always feel like i’m cheating people out when they find a small tin of popcorn that costed 15 bucks also shows no real scout skills. Now my troop , we do a Holiday tree sale during Christmas and i feel it shows good
        scout skills like putting trees on cars using knots , knowing the different trees , and cutting trees with a bow saw. All things we learn in scouts put too use , Makes a nice profit at market value we complete well with the local Lowe’s and Walmart with are high quality trees and customer service. I feel like a plan like this would work every where . DISCUSS and reply

• Mr Hogan. I’m a Scout Master in Streator Ill. I do encourage my boys to sell popcorn. But it is not mandatory. We do it so it is not a burden on the family. I have never heard of due’s being $60 a month. Other troops as well my troop do not have due’s so every boy can still be in scouts no matter what there income is. Some only charge $2.00 or $3.00 a week It is up to the troop. But we do fundraising to off set that cost. Most troops go camping more then 2 times a year. If the program is done right it is boy lead and the boys decide that. I would suggest that you look around and find enough troop in your area that is more in to outdoor actives. Not all troops do the same things. some like to be indoors some like being in the woods. I hope you have not been turned off to Scouting because of one bad experience. I know other troops would be real happy too have him.. Good luck… I hope this helped you some. If you go to myscouting.org you can find a different troop near you.

• I must advise you to call around for a different local troop. My son is a scout working on his Life and his troop pays only $1 each week in dues. This helps cover patches. They camp or do an outting at least once a month, sometimes more. There are many ways to fundraise and popcorn is our smallest fundraiser. It is recommended, but certainly not required. Troop fundraisers, like a Chili Supper, Yard Sale, Bake Sale, Car Wash are just some ways to bring in enough to keep dues low. You do NOT have to pay high dues to have a successful troop. We took our boys to Canada this Summer and go skiing every year, among other awesome trips. Scouts has been SO good for our family, I REALLY hope you find a great troop. It is a wonderful program!

• I am a life scout and have never sold one tub of popcorn in my scouting career, switch units if this is a problem or talk to the scoutmaster

• Sam Sanford // June 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm // Reply

I full heartedly agree. I am in a scout troop where everything is free, except for camp outs. And they charge only for food costs. The permits are paid for, the transportation is free, and it what scouting should really be about. Yes, Merit badges are good, yes rank advancements build character, but scouting is all about preparing yourself for life. Whether you got that merit badge or not, you still learned. That’s what is important. To make friends, to gain skills, and to mature.

If you believe that this is what scouting is about please Rate this.

Thank you.

• $60.00 a month for dues? Hopefully, you have transferred to another pack. Although selling popcorn helps a unit fund the program it provides for the scouts, popcorn should not be the primary mission of the pack. Your vision is closer to what you son will experience as a Boy Scout but your son should be doing a lot of fun things, not just selling popcorn. Visit other packs, pick one, read your son’s handbook, do research on line, get trained, and get involved. That’s how I ensured my son got the most out of the program. It was worth it because now he’s an Eagle.

• I am an Eagle Scout and I have never sold a pack of popcorn in my life.

6. Just a word of caution, not all councils have opted to participate in this fantastic program and wonderful offering from the Lowe’s Corporation. Find out from your council directly before you proceed with paperwork or plans.

7. Brian Wegener // October 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm // Reply

I know my council wasn’t, the SE had said (to those of us on the Council Advancement Committee)there was a lot of issues with it

• There are issues with the program. As a member of my district’s advancement committee I spent a lot of time tracking down scouts who received a grant but didn’t turn in the final paperwork on time. I think the scout should turn in receipts after project completion and then receive the gift card.

8. This is only for projects approved and completed by December 31, 2012. A report must be filed with National prior to january 31, 2013. I have not heard if this program will be renewed for 2013.

9. Our council has opted not to participate. But they only bothered to tell me this after they had the completed paperwork from one of our Scouts for 2 weeks and I followed up to find out if it had been approved. They treated it like it was a joke and no right-minded council would participate due to legal issues with the requirements that Lowe’s is stipulating (such as a sign on the completed project with their logo which can be construed as advertising). Obviously someone at BSA approved this program with Lowe’s so I find it very disturbing that a local council can decide to opt out and treat us like idiots for turning in an application.

• Interesting comment about the advertising aspect.

10. This is an excellent program! It may be only $100 but every cent counts in project fundraising. My son used it for his recent project. I highly recommend it to all eligible eagle candidates.

11. Pamela Hulyo // December 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm // Reply

Hope it is renewed for 2013. My son applied and received the card but was not able to complete his project by the December 31st deadline due to weather conditions and some changes made by his beneficiary. He was told he needed to return the card. :-(

12. richard burton // January 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm // Reply

My son completed his Eagle Project with the help of Lowe’s! I want to thanks Lowe’s for having this great program. My son designed and led the building of four dirt sifters for the local community college’s archaeology department. The department was in danger of shutting down the hands on dig portion of their classes because all the other sifters were in disrepair and not able to be used. Now the department has 4 brand new sifters to continue their classes and to allow future archaeologists to practice honing their skills, all thanks to a grant from Lowe’s.

13. My son is planning an Eagle Project to be implemented about 4 blocks from our local Lowe’s. What a disappointment to read above that this grant is not available for 2013. Anyone know why Lowe’s has rescinded this???

• The project is available this year.

14. Our son just completed his Eagle project with many donated and purchased supplies including a $100 donation in supplies from Lowe’s. He approached the manager with a written request (in full uniform) and was told to pick out what he needed up to $100 and was taken care of fast and easy and signed off by the manager right there.

This was in stark contrast to the other huge home center that just gave him the run around to call back, talk to some one else at another time, etc. He visited several of the other home centers and all were equally un-organized and un-helpful.

Lowe’s nails it as the title of the blog entry exclaims. They will continue to get my business.

15. The lesson learned from all of these comments is that if you have a problem with how your pack/troop/ship operates take it to the unit committee. If you don’t get an answer you can live with, change to a unit more to your taste. But, don’t quit scouting.

4 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Today’s Links September 25, 2012 | New York OA Trader
  2. Money for Eagle projects: Lowe’s grant program back for 2013-2014 « Bryan on Scouting
  3. Money for Eagle projects: Lowe’s grant program back for 2013-2014 | The David Thuis Blog
  4. Lowe’s National Eagle Scout Project Grant | buffalotrailbsa.org