This is what cheerful service looks like in the era of smartwatches, self-driving cars and Snapchat.
The OA Hackathon, held Oct. 6 to 8 at the Intel offices in Folsom, Calif., will give Arrowmen a hands-on opportunity to reimagine the way the Order of the Arrow uses technology.
Among the projects Arrowmen will tackle:
- Developing an OA app
- Revamping LodgeMaster, the OA’s online system for managing lodge membership
- Experimenting with new technologies, such as NFC (near-field communication) and facial recognition
- Anything else Arrowmen can design to propel the OA into the 21st Century
Who can participate?
Innovators of all ages — adults and youth — are welcome. The only requirement is that you’re an Arrowman, but those with intermediate to advanced programming skills will have the best experience because they’ll spend less time learning the ropes and more time working with Intel engineers.
Participants will join one of three leagues: Games, Communications and Delivery.
- The Games League will hack away new technology-based activities that Arrowmen can use to have some fun on the go.
- The Communications League will focus on developing tools to streamline communication internally and to all Arrowmen.
- The Delivery League will explore new ways to deliver program to participants to make it easier for both staff and participants to understand what’s happening at events.
The basics: When, where, how much
When: Oct. 6 to 8. Participants should plan to arrive by 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 6, and depart no sooner than 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 8.
Where: Intel offices in Folsom, Calif. Lodging is at the nearby Hampton Inn.
How much: Prices differ depending on bed setup. Prices are as follows:
- $100, fold-out sofa
- $125, double bed
- $150, king bed
All prices include transportation from the Sacramento International Airport (SMF) to the Hackathon site. Participants are responsible for paying for their own flights to and from Sacramento.
Why you should participate
- Enhance your coding experience
- Interact with fellow Arrowmen from across the country to share experiences and expertise
- Work with Intel Engineers and many other experts in the field of technology
- Take part in changing the future of the Order of the Arrow
How to register
For more, follow OA LodgeMaster (@OALodgemaster) on Facebook and Twitter and keep your eye out for posts using #HackOA.