Latest Posts

Things I Did Because I Was a Boy Scout: An impressive list

Those less familiar with Scouting know all about the camping and fishing and hiking that young men and young women enjoy in our program.

They know that Scouts and Venturers are kind and do good deeds.

“That’s a good start,” says longtime volunteer Ray Capp, “but there is so much more.”

So Capp asked some former Scouts — ages 30 to 80 — a simple question: What’s something you absolutely would never have done if you hadn’t been a Scout?

The result is an impressive list of “Things I Did Because I Was a Boy Scout.” It’s a powerful recruiting tool.

The list includes activities like using CPR, planting a tree, preparing a freshly caught fish, teaching a skill to someone else, camping in an ice cave and many more.

“As you think about the things you might want for your son,” Capp writes in an open letter to prospective Scout parents, “think of this list of possibilities.”

The list and letter are linked below. Both are suitable for printing and sharing far and wide.

Capp shared this with his Scouting family and agreed to let me include it here, because, as he writes, “we need to be sure every kid in America has the benefits of what we had as youngsters.”

Things I Did Because I Was a Boy Scout

things-i-did-because-i-was-a-boy-scout

Here’s a PDF of the poster seen above.

Ray Capp’s open letter

Here’s a PDF of Ray Capp’s open letter, in which he elaborates about this list.

Hat tip: Thanks to Russell Smart for sending me Ray’s letter.

39 Comments on Things I Did Because I Was a Boy Scout: An impressive list

1. Nahila Nakne // October 10, 2016 at 9:10 am // Reply

2 things:

1) Take a 64 mile canoe trip in the Canadian Wilderness.

2) Spend 3 months working at a Scout camp in the UK as part of the European Camp Staff Program.

2. this was our list…most troops cant match the example shown, but i guess you gotta walk before you can run…

CAMPED OUT FOR A WEEKEND WITHOUT YOUR PARENTS

USED AN AXE TO CHOP A LOG IN HALF

USED AN AXE TO SPLIT WOOD

SLEPT OUTSIDE DURING A THUNDERSTORM

WENT FOR A BIKE HIKE OVER THE CONNECTICUT RIVER ON A OLD RAILROAD TRESTLE

PLAYED PICKUP FOOTBALL IN A FIELD IN MA

SPENT 2 FULL DAYS IN MA ASSISTING IN TORNADO CLEANUP

SLEPT OUTSIDE IN A STATE FOREST IN STAFFORD SPRINGS, CT

VISITED A EMS STATION AND GOT A TOUR OF AN AMBULANCE

SPENT A WEEK (OR TWO!) AT BOY SCOUT SUMMER CAMP

3. Slept outside in a tent @ -20 below

4. Was on the staff of the 1987/88 World Jamboree in Australia. An amazing experience that continues today as every Christmas an Australian staff member and I exchange t-shirts! Thanks BSA!

5. Slept in a cavern and did a night time spelunking tour. Cumberland Caverns in TN.

6. Forgot to mention. Saved someone’s life that was choking. Was a first responder to a car accident.

7. Learned my values

8. 2 day Wilderness survival, southern Arizona desert.

9. I get to enjoy Scouts with my Scout children.

10. went to Yellowstone and South Dakota

11. Can we make a similar list for “Things I did because I was a Boy Scout Volunteer?”

12. Flipped a pancake at a Camporee

• Sitting back watching boys figure “it” out and them becoming fine young men! What an honor to be the mother of a scout and a Committee Member and Merit Badge Councilor.

13. Michael Frost // October 10, 2016 at 11:57 pm // Reply

Was a tour guide for Scouts from around the world in New York City as a teenager in the 80s and 90s

14. Valerie Mauk // October 11, 2016 at 5:25 am // Reply

My son & his did a sailboat trip on the James River for summer camp one year and the 3 of us went on a 30 hour bus trip to Mount Rushmore another summer.

15. Watched boys transition into young men. Watched parents realize that they do not have to everything for their son, and the relief as the load lifted off their shoulders.

16. Saved my mother’s life with the Heimlich Maneuver.

17. Suzan Lusignan // October 11, 2016 at 12:33 pm // Reply

Built 10 houses in El Salvador after a major earthquake.

18. Suzan Lusignan // October 11, 2016 at 12:36 pm // Reply

Brought water to a village in Zimbabwe.

19. Suzan Lusignan // October 11, 2016 at 12:37 pm // Reply

Built 20 latrines for pre-schools in Namibia.

20. Suzan Lusignan // October 11, 2016 at 12:45 pm // Reply

Attended the World Jamboree in Thailand.

21. Set and accomplished countless goals

Learned how to swim

Learned how to tie knots

Used a compass for the first time

Had my first blister 🙂

Attended my first leadership training Academy (NYLT)

Scouting gave me a social life

Met a leader who made me want to become a database architect

Learned how to speak in public

Planned and executed countless events

Learned how to sell myself

Learned how to read a map

Competed in my first triathlon

Rowed my first canoe

Learned how to teach

Built my first camp gadget

Tied my first lashing

Learned how the government works

22. Slept on a submarine. USS Razorback

23. When I was a County Commissioner I not only presented a Proclamation from the County, but as an Eagle Scout I had the privilege of administering the Eagle Scout Oath to three new Eagles.

24. There are also a host of pranks an misadventures that I would never advise for any young man, but these experiences shaped who I became, and were generally harmless. Scouting has left me with so many valuable things!

25. Top of the list will always be; Went to the bahamas. High adventure sea base. Did it twice in a row actually.

26. I’m barely younger than the surveyed group, but I think it’s important to show the variety of activities. While a scout, I:
    • Took a computer apart
    • Put a computer together
    • Learned basic sign language
    • Met my city’s mayor

Because of scouting and its values, I’ve already seen myself be a part of things I don’t think I would have otherwise. As a grown scout, I:
    • Developed an interest in cyber security
    • Developed materials on account security for my undergraduate university
    • Met with someone who works at the NSA

27. Worked at the best and biggest summer camp for a couple of months, Philmont scout ranch.

Met my best friend

Stopped letting people tell me I couldn’t do something because I was just a girl.

Went scuba diving in the florida keys.

Learned how stong I could be.

28. My son went on a 30 day trip from Michigan to Alaska.

29. a couple of my favorites: When Whitewater rafting, helped wrangle camels into the back of a trailer and went to sleep in a tent and could see the ground, woke up and had six inches of snow on the ground

30. I continued serving my community, state and nation at many levels for over 30 years and counting.

The oath and law work no matter how old you are.

31. Texas Scouter // October 16, 2016 at 2:53 pm // Reply

1. Learned to be prepared… I still sit in meetings at work today and am amazed at how many adults in positions of responsibility come to meetings unprepared.

2. Gained a lifetime love of sailing but still never got the merit badge. Found out that if you weren’t able to complete it at scout camp, you could sail the next summer. If you earned it, no more sailing. Thanks Camp Hi-Sierra.

3. Learned to snow ski in scouts.

4. Learned about Beekeeping and got the merit badge — oh wait, can’t do that in scouting now.

5. Hiked from the Navajo reservation to Rainbow Bridge at the far end of Lake Powell.

6. Hiked to Havasu Falls on the Havasu Indian Reservation.

7. Swam in Alpine Lakes in the Sierra Nevadas

8. Hiked from Big Basin to the Sea near Santa Cruz CA.

9. Realized that Scouting is cool.

10. Had my Eagle Scout grandfather (1932) tear up as he pinned my Eagle on me in 1989.

32. 1. Saw 4 Apollo moon shots launch on the old Saturn V rockets from the Cape.
    2. Canoed and camped in the Okefenokee Swamp.

33. Rapid Python // October 31, 2016 at 4:32 am // Reply

Hello brothers in Scouting, I was a scout of Rwanda Scout Association, now I am Assistant Leader Trainer(ALT). I like to share you some of Thing I did because I was a Scout, However I was not not a member of America boy Scout, but as You know we have One Promise and others similarly Values:
    1.Learned to be prepared
    2.Elected to a leadership position
    3.Developed a habit of cheerfully serving to others
    4.Traveled outside my home
    5.Gave a presentation
    6. Learned first Aid
    7.Gave service to others
    8.Made useful things from rope and logs
    9.Made friends I have kept up with for forty years
    10.Learned Orienteering
    11.Had Other people counting on Me
    12.Developed great respect for our service Men and Women
    13.Etc..

34. John Del Santo // October 31, 2016 at 9:52 am // Reply

Before I was a high school senior:
    Camped in the Adirondacks
    Camped in the Catskills
    Camped in New Mexico (Philmont)
    Camped in Idaho (National Jamboree)
    Camped at Mt Fuji (World Jamboree) where we were hit by a typhoon.
    Today, I still enjoy the outdoors. Did whitewater rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. Camped near the beaches of Normandy in June, 2014.
    My council has their annual Gathering of Eagles at the academy at West Point. We have dinner at the Officers Club. This year, it will be held in the ballroom at Eisenhower Hall.

35. I’ve worn a duty belt for 16 years in the law enforcement field and still going strong. All because of the leadership skills, scout law and oath that I learned prior to achieving Eagle Scout. The wide variety of life saving skills has been very helpful at accident scenes and the hundreds of fire and rescue calls I have been too. I don’t know how many lives I have saved as a first responder, having done CPR over a dozen times. I may not be a hero, but I know I have made a difference in this world. My roots as a Boy Scout made me who I am today and I love my life. I am a father, a husband, a cop and a role model. Scouting sculpted my wonderful life. Thanks scouting!!!

36. Developed the confidence to be a clown. Now I spend my time making people smile and teaching kids and adults how to be awesome. The full circle of a circus began as a scout

37. Four Northern Tier treks
    300+ nights camping under the stars
    4 years as Scoutmaster to boys I am so proud of
    I owe it to my two Eagle Scout stepsons for taking me on this amazing journey!

38. Robert Weitman // November 12, 2016 at 3:40 pm // Reply

-Designed, organized and implemented a bicycle safety course for my elementary school.
    -Designed and built a knot tying visual aid and practice display board for my troop.
    -Volunteered at a World Scout Jamboree in Sweden as an adult Scouter.
    -Volunteered at a Scout Jamboree in Virginia as an adult Scouter.
    -Marched in a parade in Washington DC to celebrate the 100th anniversary of BSA.
    -Mentored a young man (who had lost his dad) through Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.
    -Danced in costume in a Native American dance presentation for an elementary school.
    -Participated in a Cub Scout canned food drive to help families in need in my community.
    -Donated money to support scouting in my community.
    -Sold household items door to door to raise money for my troop.
    -Brought newspapers to a collection center for recycling to help my troop.
    -Purchased needed household items from scouts fundraising in my community.
    -Competed in an orienteering meet using scout skills.
    -Canoed, portaged, camped and fished in a wilderness area of MN.
    -Hiked and camped at a high adventure wilderness area in the mountains of NM.
    -Celebrated Free Enterprise Day at the invitation of a local business as their guest.
    -Memorized and recited a Native American legend to other scouts in a dramatic setting.
    -Wrote a letter of recommendation to nominate a Scouter for an award.
    -Attended a Scout Skill Show in my community.
    -Assembled wooden, leather, pioneer and craft projects.
    -Carried groceries for an elderly lady upstairs to her apartment.
    -Placed small American flags on the graves of veterans at a federal cemetery.
    -Attended a dinner celebrating contributions of Eagle Scouts at a community organization.
    -Volunteered as a junior assistant scoutmaster to help an inner-city troop get to go to camp.