413 Eagle Scouts graduated from military academies in 2014

If you’re looking for the country’s bravest, most loyal and most trustworthy men and women, look to our nation’s military academies.

And if you’re looking for a ton of Eagle Scouts … well, look there, too.

Given Scouting’s strong support for the military, it should come as no surprise that a disproportionately high percentage of graduates at U.S. military academies are Eagle Scouts, especially when compared to nonmilitary public and private universities.

I polled the nation’s five federal service academies, and representatives from four of the five were able to send me the number of Eagle Scouts in their 2014 graduating class.

Turns out at least 413 Eagle Scouts graduated from our nation’s five military academies in 2014, a number that reflects the level of dedication Eagle Scouts have to our nation.

Across the four academies that responded, about 12.3 percent of graduates are Eagle Scouts. That percentage includes female graduates, so the number would be even higher if you were to only look at male graduates.

Here’s an academy-by-academy breakdown:

U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.

Total number of 2014 graduates: 1,063

Number of Eagle Scout graduates: 139

Percentage: 13.1 percent (Higher if you were to exclude female graduates)

U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.

Total number of 2014 graduates: 1,068

Number of Eagle Scout graduates: 99

Percentage: 9.3 percent. (Higher if you were to exclude female graduates)

U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y.

Total number of 2014 graduates: 225

Number of Eagle Scout graduates: 25

Percentage: 11.1 percent (Higher if you were to exclude female graduates)

U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

Total number of 2014 graduates: 995

Number of 2014 graduates who are male: 757

Number of Eagle Scout graduates: 150

Percentage: 19.8 percent (of male graduates)

U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.

I heard back from the public affairs officer at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy with this response: “Unfortunately, we do not have data on the actual number of graduates in the class of 2014 who were Eagle Scouts, but there were 214 total graduates in the class.”

If we assume 10 percent of these graduates are Eagle Scouts — which might be lowballing it — that’s another 21 Eagles to add to our total.

Eagle Scouts in our Armed Forces

Are you an Eagle Scout who has served our country? Is someone in your family? Let us know in the comments below so you can be thanked and recognized.

36 Comments on 413 Eagle Scouts graduated from military academies in 2014

1. Seth Walter // July 3, 2014 at 8:26 am // Reply

I enlisted in the Navy seven years after becoming an Eagle Scout, serving on the USS Hartford, SSN-768. It would be interesting to know how many Eagles enlist rather than going through an academy.

2. It would be interesting to know how many are Gold Award graduates – Girl Scouts highest award.

• Matt Naas, ASM, T351, Wrightwood, CA // July 3, 2014 at 10:48 am // Reply

This is the other half of the question. My neighbor and her entire family are deeply involved in Girl Scouts, and they work just as hard to achieve their Gold Award, as the boys work to achieve Eagle.

My son is an Eagle Scout and our troop has helped many boys achieve Scouting’s highest rank. I realize this is a BSA-focused blog, but you missed the bigger question here by not addressing the Girl Scouts in the academies.

3. Nancy Potter // July 3, 2014 at 9:48 am // Reply

Our son is a Naval Academy Graduate and an Eagle Scout. The Naval Academy has its own NESA club and sponsors an annual scout Jamboree at the Naval Academy for scouts from around the country. The home scout troops of the Naval Academy Eagle Scout midshipmen are invited to the Jamboree each January and can earn some really neat merit badges while also getting a taste of life at USNA. Our scout troop from western NY attended the jamboree in Annapolis, MD twice while our son was there.

4. chinapete65 // July 3, 2014 at 10:13 am // Reply

Oue Eagle Scout attended Texas A&M on an NROTC Scholarship. He was a Navy Flight Officer and transferred to the NOAA Corps as a navigator for NOAA’s Hurricane Hunters. He is the Chief of Maintenance for NOAA’s Air Operations Center at Macdill AFB, FL, and .as I write this he is navigating Kermit (a.k.a. WP-3D N42RF) into hurricane Arthur. The NOAA Corps is a part of the Department of Commerce and is the sma;;est of the seven federal commissioned officer corps.

• Whoop!

5. Burt Marsh // July 3, 2014 at 10:19 am // Reply

I am an Eagle scout and I received a reserve commission via Navy OCS. I served as a Cryptologic Officer (2 years of active duty and about 23 years in the reserves), retiring as a Commander.

6. Amariah Bauer // July 3, 2014 at 11:37 am // Reply

My brother is a United States Marine and he received the rank of Eagle. My entire family has been involved in scouting (Cub Scouts,Boy Scouts, & Venture Crew) and we have a back ground in the military (Air Force, Navy & Marines) as well.

7. EagleRay CA // July 3, 2014 at 1:58 pm // Reply

From reading above. IT would be interesting to find out if we could get the total EAGLE (male) and GOLD (female) population in the military branches, including the COAST GUARD and Merchant Marine.

In the earliest years of this century, our Troop had a boy that had not yet completed his Eagle by the time he was applying to Annapolis. The question on the app was Eagle? There was no “almost”. He was turned down. He applied to Kings Point with his Eagle, and received a dual commission after he graduated. I heard that he had some exciting times in the Gulf.

Eagle and Gold should be dually tracked and honored in these times, How about females that have earned Venturing’s highest awards also?

8. Robert Kelley // July 3, 2014 at 4:31 pm // Reply

Part of the fact is that Girl Scouts is not part of the BSA and that is the point of this forum, however Venturing is and those should be tracked. Along with the academies I beleive it woukd be worthwhike to also look into this at the nation’s six Senior Military Colleges (Norwich, Texas A&M, VMI, North Georgia, The Citadel, Virginia Tech) whose graduates are as notable as those from the academy

9. Just a point about the Sea scout Quartermaster award, the equivalent honor in sea scouting. Númerous USNA and USGGA grads have earned this award. Thousands have gone on to the academies – let’s remember that sea going scouts have always been held in high re guard by the academies.

10. I got Eagle in 1992 and was NROTC, then a Navy officer for 4 years after college.

11. Both of my sons are Eagle Scouts and my daughter is a Girl Scout Gold. My oldest son Rob just graduated the US Merchant Marine Academy in 2014 with a BS degree in Logistics and Intermodal Transportation and commissioned as a 2LT in the Army Reserve. He received his Eagle in 2008. My daughter Page is ROTC at USF in CA majoring in Biology and received her GS Gold award in 2009. My youngest son Paul received his Eagle in 2010 and hopes to attend a US Federal Service Academy after graduation from High School.

12. Dave Rice // July 4, 2014 at 5:46 pm // Reply

One of my nephews is an Eagle Scout in the USAF. He is presently deployed in Afghanistan. His home base is Holoman AFB in New Mexico.

13. Ronnie Fye // July 4, 2014 at 8:18 pm // Reply

Scott Fye did not graduate from the military academy. As an Eagle Scout he joined the Air Force and served 4 years in service to our country. He was a member of security forces and protected our nuclear weapons in Minot, North Dakota.

14. Be interested to see Eagle Scouts who graduated from Private and Junior Military Academys. Personally, this Eagle Scout is an incoming freshman (Rook) at Norwich University

• Robert Kelley // July 5, 2014 at 10:28 am // Reply

Jeremy, first off congratulations on your acceptance to the oldest military college in the nation. But let me clarify Norwich is the Only private mikitary college in the nation, the rest are state funded. They are also not academies but Seniir Mikitary Colleges and Junior Military Colleges. Norwich also has a fledging scouting club that coukd use help finding its place. My email is rckelley90@yahoo.com if you have any questions about Norwich or the Army

Essayons
      2LT Robert Kelley
      NU ’13
      Asst. Scoutmaster Troop 9-1-1 Fountain, Co

15. Frankly, as an Eagle Scout, in today’s times, I was disappointed in the manner in which the article was written. Since YOU made “excluding female graduates” an issue to get a higher percentage, then I agree with the commenters who point out that you should have included the Gold star award. Or, you should have just stuck to the facts about Eagle Scouts and left it at that.

• Bryan Wendell // July 5, 2014 at 11:11 am // Reply

No, I’m saying if I had been able to exclude female graduates when calculating the percentage, the percentage numbers would’ve been higher.

16. Michael E. Buechel // July 5, 2014 at 10:40 am // Reply

Eagle Scout class of 1973. Served U. S. Navy 1978-2008.

17. Eagle Scout, class of 1966. Retired U.S. Air Force. 1970 -1990.

18. My oldest son Joshua a 2014 Catholic high school graduate is an Eagle, earning nine palms and is a PFC in the Illinois Army National Guard. He will be leaving in a few days to A.I.T. to continue his education. In his graduating class of 66 students, roughly 40 were males; there was 1 other Eagle Scout and 1 Life Scout.

19. Carol Clark // July 5, 2014 at 12:12 pm // Reply

My son Lucas J Reiner is also an Eagle Scout ( November 2008) and joined the USAF in February 2013. Continued success in all you do. Thank you for your service!

20. I am an Eagle Scout and I have been offered an appointment to West Point. I have a year at the prep school and I graduate with the class of 2019.

21. Michael Staton // July 5, 2014 at 3:05 pm // Reply

My son Bennett Staton, an Eagle Scout, is currently doing his Cadet Basic Training at the United States Air Force Academy! He is a member of the Class of 2018 and hopes to study aeronautical engineering and graduate to fly for the Air Force.

22. Jerry Edwards // July 5, 2014 at 3:44 pm // Reply

I entered the Army 2 months after receiving My Eagle Scout. I served 24 years and retired 11 days before 11 Sept. as an E-7, SFC.

23. Earned Eagle Scout in late 2009, I just commissioned through ROTC in the Army as an Ordnance Officer

24. Eagle Scout – 1973
    Colonel, USMC (ret)
    1980-2009

Eldest son – Ryan
    Midshipman 2/C
    Eagle Scout – 2009

25. William Blankinship // July 6, 2014 at 7:19 am // Reply

Very good article. I did not see anyone mention FFA or 4-H top honors. Our nation has many outstanding boy and girl youth originations. Keep in mind this article if about Eagle scouts.

Keep on Scouting

26. My son is an Eagle Scout & just entered to USMA at West Point. My husband is an Eagle Scout & a USAF Officer, but he did not attend a service academy.

27. Our son is currently a Cadet at the Air Force Academy. He ‘s a member of the class of 2015 and an Eagle Scout.
    Couldn’t be prouder!

28. Jill Landucci // July 6, 2014 at 5:09 pm // Reply

I am a proud mother of an Eagle Scout 1988.
    He enlisted in the USAF after graduation in 1988 – 1994.
    He is the third generation to serve in the Military.

29. Very good article and facts. Achieved Eagle Scout – 1969; development days were in Gulf Coast/FL, Transatlantic/UK and Cape Cod/MA Councils while growing up in Air Force family. Joined the US Marine Corps in 1971 and traveled the world and had very fortunate career. As adult leader, helped out in Far East Council, Okinawa District, Japan. Since 2001,now working for US Air Force. Now, as NESA member, at large, participate in Inland Northwest Council activities. The scouting days have carried over into many outstanding leadership opportunities over the years! Met the BSA President and Distinguished Eagle Scout, Dr Robert Gates, in Seattle on 30 May.

30. Tim Woods // July 7, 2014 at 5:32 pm // Reply

Earned Eagle with Bronze Palm in 1967. Retired as a USAF Special Tactics Officer (AF Commando) after 28 years including the USAF Academy, active duty USAF and USAF Reserves. Was fortunate to work with Scouts in 8 other countries because of my military assignments. Currently advising a Joint Special Operations Crew made up of Ventures, cadets from several different ROTC programs, Sea Scouts and CAP cadets. In my 52 year of Scouting and still loving it. Thanks BSA! You made it all possible.

31. John Ruppe // July 9, 2014 at 4:31 am // Reply

Eagle 1981, Enlisted 1992, OCS 2001, Projected retirement 2016!

32. John Deegan // July 11, 2014 at 2:18 pm // Reply

I received my Eagle in 1963 and was a Sea Scout before graduating from High School in 1965. Enlisted in the Navy in 1967 and retired as a CWO4 reserve officer in 1993. Vietnam service 1969-1970 – Mobile Riverine Force in the Mekong Delta. Now twice retired and a BSA District Commissioner. One of my most cherished Scouting possessions is my Eagle certificate signed by President John F. Kennedy, one month before his assassination.