Allow me to brag about my dad, who gets the Silver Antelope today

Thirty-two incredible Scouters will receive the Silver Antelope today, but forgive me for focusing on one in particular for a few minutes.

My dad, Don Wendell, is one of eight Scouters getting this prestigious regional award from the Southern Region today at the BSA’s National Annual Meeting in Nashville, Tenn.

The Northeast, Central and Western regions each will honor eight Scouters as well. (See the full list of awardees at the end of this post.)

The Silver Antelope recognizes a Scouter’s service at a regional level, much like the Silver Beaver does for council service and the Silver Buffalo for national service.

In a few hours, my mom, Kay, and I will beam with pride as the yellow-and-white medal is placed around my dad’s neck.

He’s earned it.

After nine years as a youth in Scouting (don’t worry, Dad, I won’t say which nine years) and earning the Eagle Scout Award, he rejoined the movement in 1990 when I was old enough to be a Tiger Cub.

Since then — that’s 24 years, for those of you counting — he’s shown tireless dedication at the unit, district, council and national level.

He was the Stadium Experience Chairman at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree, heading up the big stadium shows and daily activities. He currently serves as advanced leadership chairman of the National Volunteer Training Committee. He’s a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow.

He’s been instrumental in the continued success of the National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience and Philmont Leadership Challenge. He was a design team member for Philmont Leadership Challenge, Trainer’s EDGE and the National Youth Leadership Training Course Director’s Conference. He’s been on Wood Badge staff six times, plus three more as a course mentor.

I’ll stop there, but know that I’ve only scratched the surface here. He’s done things in Scouting that I, his own son, didn’t even know about. And we talk all the time.

You know, based on his Scouting résumé it almost seems he’s actually enjoyed Scouting even more now that he’s no longer my Scoutmaster, but he swears that’s not true.

And besides, we’ve been able to enjoy several great Scouting experiences together as adult Scouters, including staffing the 2005, 2010 and 2013 National Jamborees.

That’s after attending the 1997 and 2001 jamborees together when I was a youth member.

He was course mentor when I took Wood Badge in 2012 and again when I served as a troop guide in 2013. And in March we took a father-son vacation to London and visited Gilwell Park.

Without him, I might never have joined Scouting, and even if I had, I certainly wouldn’t have gotten as much out of it. With him, I’ve seen my time in Scouting as an Eagle Scout and beyond develop into a dream career.

It’s not just me. He’s helped countless other youth — directly and indirectly — through his 24 years of service. The great news for all of us is he’s just getting started.

Congrats to my dad and to all of this year’s Silver Antelope awardees. See a full list below.

2014 Silver Antelope recipients

• Thomas C. Harrison
  • Stanley L. Kynerd
  • John “Jack” Metcalfe
  • William H. Tally IV
  • Donald C. Thom
  • Don Wendell

23 Comments on Allow me to brag about my dad, who gets the Silver Antelope today

1. John Powell // May 23, 2014 at 9:15 am // Reply

Bryan,
    You should be proud of your Dad!. He is a good person and deserves this. Please let him know that everyone at PRG sends our congratulations and are proud for him also.

2. Congrats to your dad. It’s not the AWARD to be proud of but fact that SO MANY of America’s Youth have clearly been impacted by your father’s life of Scouting!

My father-in-law received his Silver Antelope a few years back and it is amazing how much these gentleman (and ladies) can impact our youth with their dedication.

(Congrats also to Gerald Case for SIlver Antelope and Bob Smith for Silver Buffalo this year!)

THANK YOU for all that you ALL do for Scouting!

3. Marvin “Stoney” Stonecipher?!

He was on my WB staff when I was VERY young. He was a good Man then. and he still is now.!!!

Greg
    C-4-95

4. Seth Walter // May 23, 2014 at 9:25 am // Reply

A well-deserved brag piece. Congratulations to your father and all the recipients!

5. EIGHTOWLS@aol.com // May 23, 2014 at 9:31 am // Reply

Congrats to your whole family. Sheron

6. Rich Lynch // May 23, 2014 at 9:35 am // Reply

Well deserved to all and congrats to your Dad. I first met Thomas Kehoe (Northeast Region recipient) at summer camp so many years ago when I was a youth and still work with him.

7. Awesome! Congrats!

8. chinapete65 // May 23, 2014 at 10:06 am // Reply

Congratulations to your Dad for receiving this well deserved and earned award. I had the pleasure of working with another Silver Antelope recipient, “Doc” Miller, at the Journey through Scouting exhibit at the 2013 Jamboree. His “Scout Bling” knot board resembles gen Curt Lemay’s ribbon rack.

9. Bryan – congratulations to your dad and ALL of the Silver Antelope recipients; and thank you to all for helping to keep Scouting strong!

10. John Erickson // May 23, 2014 at 10:16 am // Reply

Congratulations to your dad and to all the new Silver Antelopes. You need to add a last name to Richard Tucker Boeshaar on the Central Region list. He is an outstanding Scouter.

• You’re right. Thanks, John!

11. Red River, New Mexico is proud to be the home of Don Wendell. He has been a mentor to so many, including me. Thanks, Don. You deserve the Silver Antelope!

12. Richard Dexter // May 23, 2014 at 12:04 pm // Reply

Congratulations to your Father, to Len Roberts, Miami Valley Council–a great Scouter and leader in his own right, and to each of the other recipients. Thanks for all you do!

13. Congratulations to all the Silver Antelopers out there. I recognize Peter Pape name, if this is the one from Seneca Waterways Council.

14. Jim & Cid Ridgeway // May 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm // Reply

Congrats Don! A heartfelt thank you for everything you have done! My sons both had the pleasure of working with you while they were on NAYLE staff as youth (John & Ian). Many of my “extra” kids worked with you also out there (Dan Beard Council youth). You’ve made a difference in these and many more youth’s lives! A well deserved honor!

15. Deaf Scouter // May 23, 2014 at 6:14 pm // Reply

Congratulations to your father, Bryan. Be Proud and ENJOY the moment. You truly have a treasure in your father and able to enjoy your time and relationship together for a good cause that you both believe in! I enjoyed the reads of your father-son vacations and events together!!

16. I had the pleasure of working with your dad as an ASM back in Texas. It is great to hear he has been awarded this prestigious award for the work he’s done over his career. I’ve also worked with Mr. Hildenbrand who has made a great impact here in the National Capital area.

17. Dell Perry // May 24, 2014 at 10:20 am // Reply

Congratulations Don…it has been a long time since you and I worked together at the City of Plano and you and your son went to the 1997 Jamboree with my son Seann.

Thanks for all you have done to help make Scouting the fine organization it is. I know there are countless boys out there who owe you a great debt of gratitude for your service. I have no doubt the Silver Buffalo won’t be far in the future.

18. I am reading your postings from Borneo Island – Kuching, Sarawak to be exact. Thank you for sharing and giving an informative look inside BSA. Rgds- John

19. Mark Ewing // May 27, 2014 at 2:15 pm // Reply

Brian, I have been following you for a few years now and did not realize that your dad was Don. I worked for him in special foods at the Jamboree! I did not put 2 and 2 together. He is a great man and Scouter. It was an honor to work for him at the Jamboree! – Mark

20. Wozzo the Wonder Dog // May 28, 2014 at 10:22 am // Reply

It’s Don Thom, not Thorn, and he’s a legend in Scouting in Kentucky. As a youth he served in the role of Allowat Sakima in ceremonies creating Lodges 480 (Kawida) and 499 (White Feather). We’re talking early 1950′s, here. He returned to White Feather as Allowat Sakima in the early ’60′s as part of the first Vigil ceremony for the Lodge. http://history.oa-bsa.org/node/3335

• Thanks! Fixed.

21. Wozzo the Wonder Dog // May 28, 2014 at 10:27 am // Reply

Using “youth” as young man … not in an “under 21 for OA purposes” sense.