These are your 2013 jamboree duffel bags

(Updated Feb. 20, 2013) It may be a little early to start packing for the jamboree this summer, but I’ve got a sneak peek at what you’ll stuff all that gear into.

Take a look at the Osprey Transporter BSA, a sturdy, well-reviewed bag with detachable backpack straps and a classy 2013 National Scout Jamboree logo stitched on the side.

Every registered participant and staffer will get one of these as part of their jamboree registration fee, and it’s one bag that looks like it’ll hold up well beyond 10 days in rugged West Virginia this summer.

By the way, you’ll need to fit all your gear in this jamboree-provided duffel and your personal day pack. Fortunately, big items like your tent and cot are provided for you at your jamboree campsite.

The bag measures roughly 32 by 18 by 16 inches (length, width, and depth). The capacity is 115 liters (not the 95 I previously reported). There are three compartments: the main pocket, one at the top that also holds the backpack straps, and another on the flap of the main pocket.

Find full photos of the bag after the jump:

2013jamboree-bag

2013jamboree-bag-vertical

How much will it hold?

Watch the new video below.

Photos by W. Garth Dowling/BSA

78 Comments on These are your 2013 jamboree duffel bags

1. Nice!

• Go Jayhawks!

2. Eric F. Makar // February 7, 2013 at 8:23 am // Reply

Unfortunately I can not attend the Jambo. Can these great looking bags be purchased separately?

• Good question, Eric. I haven’t seen the final jamboree catalog yet, but I’ll post some answers once I know more!

• Aidan J Brennan // February 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm // Reply

Bryan, looking forward to seeing the full 2013 National Jamboree catalog when available to get the merchandise just like the 2010 event. The rucksack looks great and look forward to getting my hands on one.

3. I’m from Spain, I can buy this bag online or is only for the members of BSA?

• The same Osprey Transporter duffel is available through many sports and luggage dealers without the BSA and Jambo logos. This link will show how big the bag is compared to a scout.

4. Harold Kenny // February 7, 2013 at 8:29 am // Reply

Would love to have one. Will they be available after the jamboree?

• Oh, never doubt the magic of eBay.

5. Are folks expected to get their sleeping bags into the bag as well as clothing for the whole time? We might have to add an ultra light sleeping bag to the gear list! :>)

• Yes, you’ll want to get your sleeping bag in there, but these things are bigger than you think!

• Willard Sudduth // February 8, 2013 at 3:17 pm // Reply

The video showed everything going in the bag except a sleeping bag. The official Guide Book says, “Everything you bring must fit inside your provided jamboree duffel bag and your personal day pack.” I am still trying to find out how literally we should take the guidebook.

• Glen Mills // February 8, 2013 at 4:25 pm //

The first item they put in is the sleeping bag. It looks like a very light weight summer bag.

• Bernie Palmer // February 12, 2013 at 7:43 pm // Reply

Our Jambo troop just had a shakedown weekend and the scouts were required to use a duffel bag and bring the full gear list or representative equipment – my son is larger than most and he had room to spare in a duffel smaller than this one. and that was with winter weight bag and extra layers and heavy rain gear.

• You don’t need a sleeping bag. You are camping in July, with a tent and cot provided. I light blanket should be sufficient.

• Charles Elton // February 21, 2013 at 11:55 pm // Reply

I would argue that. I helped staff the shakedown at the Summitt and brought a micro-fleece zippered sleeping bag (OK it was a Walmart special) and was cold (same time of year as Jambo). Do bring a light sleeping bag . . . Not like AP Hill, you are at 2,500 ft. in WV . . . Just saying

6. wish i were going!

7. The previous post at http://www.summitblog.org/how-are-plans-for-the-opening-event-at-the-summit-going/ promised a 115 liter duffel and this is 95. That is a disappointment.

• Steve, I may have these dimensions wrong. I’m confirming… stand by!

• Good news — I measured wrong! Bigger is better, and these are definitely 115-liter bags. Thanks for pointing that out, Steve.

• Thanks for the quick response. See you at the Summit. http://scoutingtogether.blogspot.com/2012/07/for-those-that-asked-to-see-our-100l.html

• Can’t wait! I measured the bag myself, so I’m confident this is larger than the 95-liter Osprey Transporter bag, which means it must be the 115-liter one that Mr. McCarthy mentioned in his post. If I learn anything else, I’ll post here.

8. If you want to buy one, I believe this is the Transporter 95 (Alpine color): http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/gear_hauling/transporter_95

It retails for about $100. This is a pretty awesome bag

9. too bad that the other BSA high adventure camps don’t offer a great bag like this as part of the fee.

10. no wheels, It will be a challenge to carry this bag and a daypack from drop off to our sites

11. Reblogged this on Montana Scouts: Go Big! Get Wild!.

12. You can see one being packed in this video to get an idea of how much gear it’ll hold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_qzIbyIUo&t=1m10s

13. Reblogged this on Westmoreland-Fayette 2013 Jamboree and commented:
    Jamboree Duffel bad Details

14. Out of curiosity… what kind of sleeping bag is recommended for Jambo

• Both the Staff and Council Guides suggest a lightweight sleeping bag in a stuff sack with a 30 degree rating.

15. So when are they going to start shipping these to us?

16. Wow. In watching the videos, I’m not sure that my SCOUT is 115 Liters. It was a struggle for him to get his Bag and his Daypack at the Shakedown last summer.

PACK LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT inside this bag!

17. Laura Ingalls // February 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm // Reply

Watched the video, but where is the room for snacks and souvenirs?

• That’s what your knapsack is for :-)

18. Great video! Thank you!

19. I am on the medical staff. How can I carry this and a day pack and also have my medical gear-stethoscopes,etc, and reference books? Also, what about anything purchased at the trading post or obtained or made at the numerous displays and activities?

• Jay,

I’d contact your volunteer staff leader. I’m sure that he or she can help you figure out your special circumstances.

Bryan

• You might have to ship some of those to yourself at the Jamboree, then ship back home at the end.

• As Bryan already said, contact your staff leader. The duffels are for PERSONAL GEAR. The Staff can arrange (within logic) other transportation methods (and/or exceptions to quantity/size of items to bring with you) based upon the needs of the Jambo.

20. Larry Wittmayer // February 7, 2013 at 6:06 pm // Reply

I know the duffle bags will be sent to the Councils for the units. How will the Staff personnel get theirs.

21. Matt Sternik // February 7, 2013 at 6:53 pm // Reply

I`m going looks good

22. Can these bags be locked? We heard there was a lot of theft at the Shakedown and want to avoid giving any temptations.

• Yes, they can be locked. The zippers for the main compartment have holes meant for a luggage lock.

• What kind of Scouts are going to the “shakedown”?

23. Reblogged this on Jambo Troop 4 and commented:
    Wow! This video from last year’s Summit Shakedown shows the equipment each troop will receive and brief instructions on set-up. Importantly, it also shows the duffel bag each Scout will receive, the personal equipment list and a packing demonstration – remember to pack lightly!

24. Will we get a neat video like this for Staff? (Or maybe missed it on the site?)

25. Doug Hildebrand // February 10, 2013 at 7:34 am // Reply

Here’s my 2 cents on this VERY COOL duffel/backpack, BUT my biggest concern as a parent of a scout who is attending is the safety factor. You can say whatever you want, and think whatever you want and let me qualify by saying this first. My father attended the 50th Jamboree (there were thieves there), my father and I attended the 75th Jamboree (there were thieves there), and my father was on staff for the 100th (and there were thieves there).

I don’t see the ability to lock up this. Not that my kid will have things of major value but where is the scouts security with this? Just wondering

• I am with you on this and have asked this same question. Knowing that theft occurs, have we chosen a bag for our boys which can be secured? Please address this issue BSA!

• There are always patches and other things that the souts will have. I am on staff and also concerned about security. A pocket knife and a few seconds will get you into any duffel bag.

• Walmart has a lock boxAbout 8″x6″x2″ deep with a3 number combo lock and a cable to attach it to your cot or?? for about $15. It will hold a cell phone, billfold, and a small camera, with a little room to spare.

• Check out the PacSafe 140, http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-140l-backpack-protector. This provides a lockable steel mesh cover for a backpack/duffel bag. It’s the largest they make, and it would need to be tested with the Jamboree duffel to verify it fits properly over the bag.

• Read this great blog and today found and bought this personal safe at OfficeMax for under $15:
      Its going to the Jambo with me in my Osprey!

26. Great post, Bryan! That certainly answers a few questions people in my unit had. Also, I discovered yet another video of Patrol Z doing awesome stuff!

27. David Peacocke // February 12, 2013 at 10:59 am // Reply

Will these be cover by the Osprey “All Mighty Guarantee”?

28. Great info on jambo

29. santiago munera // February 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm // Reply

where I can buy it in boston

30. Can someone PLEASE TELL ME WHY NOTHING HAS “The inagural 2013 Jamboree” at the Betchel Summit on anything in the jamboree gear catalog that we have recently gotten?? This is a really special time as was the 2010 jambo, why are they not making the items we can buy special too ? I mean everything has 2013 on it BUT NOTHING makes BEING THE FIRST JAMBO PARTICIPANTS to attend the Betchel collectable type, I would have thought EVERY hat, shirt,coat,patch (not even a patch has anything special!!) would be loaded with special designations about being the first group there!

31. So are these duffels custom made because Osprey only makes 4 sizes the largest being 95L.

32. Devin Raamsey // February 26, 2013 at 11:39 am // Reply

Do you have the pack list?

• Melanie S. // May 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm // Reply

PACKING LIST: http://www.scoutstuff.org/media/content/docs/pdfs/5737JamboCampingFINAL.pdf

• Melanie S. // May 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm // Reply

Another List I found:

33. Chip Hendricks // February 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm // Reply

I noticed that this is the NEW video. Is the other vdeo still available? It had additional info on tents. Thanks!

• Melanie S. // May 21, 2013 at 9:15 pm // Reply

Is this what you are looking for?

• Melanie S. // May 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm // Reply

Or there is this video:

34. nicholas relstab // March 23, 2013 at 6:31 am // Reply

This bag will be over size for airlinesu

• Lynn A. Richard // April 7, 2013 at 1:47 pm // Reply

Oversized as a carry on, but not necessarily as a checked bag. You’ll use your day pack as your carry on. I don’t believe the intent was for these to function as day packs or mini duffles.

35. This is a very nice pack.

36. Are they providing the water bottles?

• No, you’ll need to supply your own water bottles.

37. Is there an online version of the Jambo catalog?

38. When are they providing these packs

• Will council stores have this bag for sale??
      May want to purchase another one.

• They do already. They just do not have the Jamboree Emblem on them. That is only for the ones for the participants / staff / etc.

39. The listed size of 32x18x16 comes out to an airline size of 66 linear inches. Most airlines have either a 60 or 62 inch size limit to avoid oversize charges. Is there a reason that airline limits were not thought of for this bag?

40. This is extremely frustrating. Here we are in May now, and still no bags – only a video to go from. The gear costs to get everything to fit are ridiculous, and as it is we won’t have a chance to fit the gear and know that we have purchased correctly until the last minute. Sure wish Supply would hurry up and get these to us.

41. Our Scouts are getting them at the Council Shakedown (Council already has them). The Scout Shop here has a 115 Liter identical bag (minus the Jambo Patch) on display for sale. Also, the national Jambo staff are getting theirs in the mail this week it seems. (They are VERY NICE.)

2 1/2 months to Jambo yet. I know that will pass quickly but in planning for Tens of Thousands, that’s pretty much ahead of the game on such a major purchase I’d say (my personal opinion).

Check with your Jambo Troop Leaders for Scouts and the Council Scout Shop if you want to see one in person.

42. I haven’t resived my jmboree bag and I missed the meeting due to a missionary trip… What do I do?!? I’m freaking out

3 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. What to Pack | Escape with Venture Crew 91
  2. Check out the awesome duffel bag the Jamoboree Scouts will be using | Fort Clatsop District Boy Scouts of America
  3. Greatest hits: Counting down my 13 most-read blog posts of 2013 « Bryan on Scouting