7 ways to celebrate Baden-Powell on Founder’s Day, his birthday

Chief Scout of the World: There’s no cooler title around.

That’s what they called Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the worldwide Scout Movement and therefore one of the masterminds behind the Boy Scouts of America.

B-P was also the first recipient of the Silver Buffalo Award in 1926, the highest award the BSA gives adults.

Baden-Powell was born Feb. 22, 1857, exactly 157 years ago Saturday. Scouts worldwide — roughly 30 million in 161 countries — celebrate his birthday each year as Founder’s Day.

You can join the celebration in a number of ways. Here are seven ideas:

baden-powell-illustration1. Learn a little about Baden-Powell

Just who was Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell? Read and find out:

baden-powell-22. Read his words of wisdom

Three of my favorite quotes from the Scouting legend speak for themselves:

• “It is risky to order a boy not to do something; it immediately opens to him the adventure of doing it.”
  • “The open-air is the real objective of Scouting and the key to its success.”
  • “There’s nothing like ‘Being Prepared,’ is there? For what might seem possible, even if it may not seem probable.”

Be inspired by reading some classic Baden-Powell quotes. Click here for a few hand-picked favorites.

baden-powell-grave3. See his final message to Scouts

Baden-Powell prepared a farewell message to Scouts that was meant to be shared after his death. He died at age 83 in 1941.

This is my favorite line:

But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. “Be Prepared” in this way, to live happy and to die happy- stick to your Scout Promise always when you have ceased to be a boy — and God help you to do it.

Read the complete letter here (PDF).

messengers-of-peace-logo4. Become a Messenger of Peace

In the October 1932 issue of Jamboree, Baden-Powell wrote: “Our aim is to bring up the next generation as useful citizens with a wider outlook than before and thereby to develop goodwill and peace in the world through comradeship and co-operation.”

In fact, as this UNESCO report indicates, peace and World Scouting have been close allies since the beginning.

You can join this effort by becoming a Messenger of Peace and being a powerful force for good. Get details on this BSA and World Scouting program here.

scouting-heritage5. Teach the Scouting Heritage merit badge

Scouting Heritage merit badge, released in 2010, satisfies the desire by Scouts and Scouters to learn more about Scouting’s history.

And it’s no surprise that Requirement 1 of Scouting Heritage MB reads:

Discuss with your counselor the life and times of Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell. Explain why he felt a program like Scouting would be good for the young men of his day. Include in your discussion how Scouting was introduced in the United States, and the origins of Boy Scouting and Cub Scouting under Baden-Powell.

baden-powell-pronunciation6. Consider how you pronounce B-P’s name

This one comes with a little controversy. I’ve heard Baden-Powell’s name pronounced two ways — the Powell part, at least.

Some say it like “POW-ull,” while others pronounce it more like “pole.”

B-P himself once address the pronunciation in a short poem:

Man, Nation, Maiden
Please call it Baden.
Further, for Powell
Rhyme it with Noel

Remember that B-P was British, so “noel” is pronounced like this. In other words, I’ve been pronouncing it wrong pretty much all my life, and it is more like “pole.”

7. Watch this video about B-P

8. Your idea?

How will you celebrate? Perhaps with a B-P-themed Scoutmaster’s Minute or a campfire story? Share your ideas below.

BSA file photo above shows Baden-Powell (right) with William “Green Bar Bill” Hillcourt

18 Comments on 7 ways to celebrate Baden-Powell on Founder’s Day, his birthday

1. I’ll be re-reading parts of Bill Hillcourt’s biography of B-P, “Baden-Powell: The Two Lives of a Hero” available at your Scout Shop!

• Good idea, Nelson!

2. Read the free book, “The Scout Law in Practice”. Available as free pdf file in google books. Also, that the “Unknown Scout”. Without him, BSA may never have existed.

3. joselepervanche // February 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm // Reply

Reblogged this on Scouting Adventures and commented:
    B-P lessons are within us. We still need more Scouts around the world.

4. We have our Blue & Gold tomorrow, may incorporate some of his quotes, since it is his birthday. Happy Birthday B-P!!

5. Linda Salzer // February 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm // Reply

Thanks for the great information! I will share it with the troop tomorrow during our winter camping trip.

6. Cole Petersen // February 21, 2014 at 4:00 pm // Reply

It’s worthy of note that the young man next to BP is Green Bar Bill.

7. Tom Stalnaker // February 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm // Reply

Thanks for your clarification on how to pronounce B-P’s name. I have been trying to teach this since I started doing re-enactments of B-P for Wood Badge and other events 12 years ago, but no one had ever heard it pronounced that way. I do believe that Lady B-P did pronounce it like Pole when I met her 47 years ago. I asked a British friend how he would pronounce B-P and he told me “British Petroleum”. So much for original research.

8. Ill be spending BPs birthday at the first staff meeting for this falls Wood Badge course. We’ll be sure to include him in our thoughts for the day.

9. Today I have a graphic on our website home page with B-P’s picture, the British Scouting emblem and the wording, “Founder’s Day / Celebrating the life of Lord Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell / February 22, 1857 – January 8, 1941.”
    I hope this doesn’t violate our Secretary’s definition of “clutter” on the website.

I am also MBC for the Scouting Heritage merit badge. I also appreciate the pronounciation clarification on the gentleman’s name; I am among the guilty of mis-pronouncing it all these years…

10. We are sharing not only the life and accomplishments of Lord Robert Baden-Powell of Gilwell, but also of his American Mentor, Frederick Russell Burnham. The man that taught Baden-Powell woodcraft and scouting, but also introduced Baden-Powell to the practicality and usefulness of the Campaign Hat and Neckerchief.

11. We celebrated with my Son’s Eagle Court of Honor. What a wonderful way to celebrate the day, and remember the date.

12. BSA continues to push BP as the founder of BSA. But Baden was just using materials taken from Ernest Seton and Daniel Beard (Americans) who had their movements going decades before his. That Boyce visited London and saw it called Boy Scouts and came home and convinced these guys to nationalize their movements into a single one… not sure BP deserves any credit for that at all, really.

If BSA does consider him the father of scouting… why not use the BP oath and law instead of the BSA oath and law?

• Juan José Pérez // February 25, 2014 at 4:58 pm // Reply

I guess you have never read “scouting for boys”. It’s true that BP took some ideas from Seton (I really don’t think the same about Beard) but if you read their books you will notice that BP scheme was much more complete and well thought. The patrol system, the merit badges, the law and some games were probably taken from Seton’s ideas. BP itself said that both of them were the true fathers of scouting and he was only an uncle, but without his fame and his hard work scouting never had been successful and the Birch Bark Roll Indians and the Boy pionneers never had achieved this goal.

13. Any clues on the first part? “BAY-den” or “BAH-den”?

• B-P said it rhymes with “maiden.”

• Juan José Pérez // February 25, 2014 at 4:26 pm // Reply

It’s funny but his friends at school gave him the nick “bathing-towell”, because it sounds like his true name…

14. I celebrated Founder’s Day by taking my sons (now Boy Scouts) to visit the Cub Scouts and leaders of our old Pack, who were winter camping at our council’s Boy Scout camp. I was cajoled into relating the story of Lord Baden-Powell. I also retold the local legend of the “man with the bloody hook” for those who wished to hear a scary story. This was my favorite Founder’s Day ever.