Check out 30 of the coolest Eagle Scout letters I’ve seen

What do President Barack Obama, New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, author Homer Hickam, actor Chuck Norris, and NBA legend Shaquille O’Neal all have in common?

No, they’re not the five famous people I’d invite to a fantasy dinner party — though that would be interesting.

In fact, these men are among the five famous folks who have mailed congratulatory letters to new Eagle Scouts. Last month, I asked our Facebook friends to send me their favorite Eagle letters.

After sorting through about a hundred impressive submissions, I picked my 30 favorites, removed the Eagle’s last name and address, and will share them with you.

The letter-writers include names you know in the worlds of politics, entertainment, and sports. And they prove that it’s worth sending a request for a letter to just about anybody — all they can do is say no.

A final note: One of the letters was from the late Sen. Daniel Inouye, the highest-ranking Asian American politician in U.S. history. The letter was likely one of the last ones signed by Sen. Inouye before his death in December 2012.

Let’s get to the letters:

Angels Blair Bush Christie Clinton,-Hillary Coughlin Duncan Ford Freeze Garlitts Hickam Holder Inouye Lamoriello Looney Muschamp Mythbusters NASA Norris-letter Obamas Paolini RAF Riley Rowe-letter Rowe Schwarzkopf Shaq Spielberg Spike UK-Scouts

How do you request Eagle Scout letters?

Read my guide and see some of the letters I received after earning my Eagle Scout Award.

42 Comments on Check out 30 of the coolest Eagle Scout letters I’ve seen

1. I think Norman Schwarzkopf recently passed away.

2. Frank Martinek // March 8, 2013 at 10:57 am // Reply

Yes he did on December 27, 2012, he is buried at West Point Cemetery, next to his parents (His father also was a West Point Graduate, Class of 1917 and the first superintendent of the New Jersey State Police).

3. This is a great compendium of letters.

I was particular touched by (and jealous of..) the letter from Homer Hickam. As a Wood Badger (and now staffer), that movie has extra special significance, to me, and I would have loved an opportunity to get a letter from Homer when I earned my Eagle Scout award in 1986. I’ve seen interviews with him and think he is a great example of what Eagles (and all Scouts) should strive for.

I was touched by the letter from the late Sen. Daniel Inouye, who I always thought was a very interesting, astue and articulate man who represented our citizenry well during his time on this planet.

I was amused, entertained and a bit disappointed at Mike Rowe’s letter. I get what he meant (I got a form letter from Gerald Ford too…) and I appreciate his position, but as a 44 year old, I probably receive that letter better now then I would have at 14-18. That being said, I still appreciate Mike’s interest in at least sending it (along with a 8×10 glossy…which I’m not sure was actually necessary…).

I was pleasantly surprised at the letter from Spike Entertainment – I didn’t see that one coming. Not that I have any objections to Spike, but I had suspected that Spike was not particularly interested in what would be considered the less flagrant and/or ‘out there’ modus operandi of Scouts. Goes to show that you can’t judge a book…

I was also interested to see the letter from the RAF and the personal alignment of it. It was nice to see a foreign military representative respect and appreciate a youth in our country.

I was honored to have received letters from Presidents Ford, Carter and Reagan as well as my senators, several members of congress and Pope John Paul II, among others. It’s a pleasure to see a wider variety in these letters, including more socially-aligned representation.

• My son’s letters from the RAF and Scotland Yard were in addition to the Arch Duke of Canterbury, Prime Minister and Buckingham Palace. My son originally started his Scouting career as a Beaver in British Scouts and later transferred over to American Scouting. We thought it would be a nice touch to have both sides of his scouting career covered.

• We should not be surprised at the letter from the RAF. Scouting after all was a British institution first.

4. I was ‘particularly’ touched…..

5. Great letters. I was very impressed by the one from Senator Daniel Inouye. The letter is dated February 23, 2013 and Senator Inouye passed away on December 17, 2012.

• I noticed that as well, Katie. Many writers post-date their letters for the actual date of the court of honor, and I can only guess that was the case here.

• It was post-dated when the letter arrived. He passed away a few days later and my son was very sadden by the passing but very honored to have something from him to remember him by.

6. marshall burkins // March 11, 2013 at 1:57 pm // Reply

My son got one from MIKE Rowe. Mike comment was at least his signature is real signed by him, not fake like OBAMAS is and he take time to go to the JAMBOS and they are not in his back yard like the presidents is DC to VA

• How many requests for letters do you think the President, any President, gets? Not to belittle Mr. Rowe’s work, but I kinda rather the President spend his day leading the free world and being Commander in Chief than signing congratulatory letters. Remember the “do your duty to . . . my country. . .” part of the Scout Oath? Part of that is not taking cheap shots at our government officials.

• Hopefully he got all 50,000+ requests, and considering when you look at the white house presidential schedule at whitehouse.gov you will discover, actually not very much, he doesn’t do a whole lot, so signing maybe 50 personal ones a year would not be asking for too much, would it?…no cheap shots at the learner of the USA, free is another post…just plain truth. No meetings, no discussions with congress, no cabinet meetings…just well nothing. He’s got time.

• Not that I doubt your son received a letter from Mr. Rowe, I do doubt that he said any of those things. He is as real as they come but he is not disrespectful. My son would be honored to receive a letter from both Mike Rowe and President Obama.

7. I find the letter from Steven Spielberg very interesting in how he states that he is a proud Eagle Scout. As a Staff member at the 1989 BSA Jamboree at Ft AP Hill VA, he was given the National Eagle Scout award for developing the Cinematography MB and also for the wonderful Opening Ceremonies. I was sickened a few years later when he returned his Eagle Scout badge to National in protest over the BSA policy over gay leaders. I will not ever again see a Speilberg movie including LINCOLN.

• Can you provide a source for this information? Spielberg did resign his advisory position with the BSA, but I can find no reference on the internet that he returned his Eagle Scout Badge.

8. My son received many Eagle letters some from the ones above although I was shocked to see one here from Myth Busters. I contacted and wrote to the show and was told they didn’t deal with Eagle Scouts or Scouting period. They didn’t have time to write a letter to a Eagle. It looks as though they have changed their minds. Good going guys! These letters mean ALOT to each scout that receives them. I am currently working on my second son’s Eagle Ceremony. I hope we recieve the same welcoming as we did before with so many wonderful letters. Thanks to all who participate in congratulating these young men. Your support is greatly appreciated.

9. Where can you go to get letters from these type of people?

• Amy Bacon // July 4, 2013 at 2:51 pm // Reply

There is a list on google but a lot of these addresses are not there. I used google to find most of the addresses. I received letters from Chuck Norris, NASA, The Presidents and so many others. Get your letters ready and start sending.. it is a timed process but well worth it when you see your son’s face at the COH.

• Amy, I am looking for the address to request a letter from Chuck Norris, but cannot find one, can you assist me? Thanks

• Chuck Norris
          Box 872
          Navasota, TX 77868

That’s the address I got a few minutes ago while searching for addresses for my COH.

10. I am in the process of getting letters for my son’s upcoming Eagle Court of Honor. The addresses I have tried for Arnold Schwarzenegger and Chuck Norris were no good and the letters were bounced back. Also am looking for a good address for Myth Busters, any help?

• Amy Bacon // July 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm // Reply

For MythBusters check out Discovery.com I found the address there and so far mine has not come back. Chuck Norris – google there is two addresses – one looks personal but you c/o his Entertainment company too. I got a response from that one. Not sure about Arnold – when you go google – search for contact address for “Arnold Schwarnenegger” I haven’t had any letters sent back to me and this is my third COH. I have gotten great response.

11. If anyone already has a compilation of addresses and would be willing to share, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

• Amy Bacon // July 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm // Reply

There is a great list on the internet with tons of address. I use it every time one of my scouts Eagle.

• Amy Bacon // July 4, 2013 at 2:57 pm // Reply

It is under US Scouting

12. Note, some of them say to request theirs 12 weeks ahead of time. When is your Eagle Court of Honor (ECoH)? Currently waiting on the mailman, hope he produces some more before 4/20/13. As of right now I have received back 9 of the 29 requests I sent out.

• Any more replies in addition to the 9 of 29? I am interested in knowing some of the details of the successes.

13. avihoffman // June 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm // Reply

Oh, nice! That Shaquille O’Neill signed picture was mine :) (4th from last)

14. One of my Scouts had his court of honor this past weekend – the highlight was a letter from Jackie Chan

15. Do you have to have the actual date of the COH figured out before letters are requested? My son will (most likely) get his Eagle rank on Sept. 5th, and I was thinking of having the COH on Oct. 12/19th. Per the guidelines listed regarding numerous officials/offices/celebrities, it would be unlikely that we would receive many letters back. What have you all done? I assume that most parents don’t prefer to wait 2-3/more months to have their son’s Eagle COH. Thanks.

16. I will be emailing you soon. Our son became an Eagle Scout last month and I am writing requests today. I can see this is quite a task. ECOH and our younger son started his project. I will be contacting you. Thank you.

17. This is an addition to my previous blog . . . I just had my middle son’s COH on 11/17/13. As I did for my oldest son, we sent or emailed out the “letters” and was successful in getting back about 85%. My sons are into hunting (archery & rifle), quads and dirtbikes so I also sent to all the rifle and bow mfr’s, street and dirt bike mfr’s. He rec’d handwritten letters from the presidents of Harley-Davidson, Yamaha, Ruger, Mossberg and Remington. Also rec’d shirts from Harley-Davidson and Yamaha, knives from Mossberg and Smith & Wesson, hats from Browning, Mossberg, Yamaha and Ruger and a coffee mug from Henry Repeating Arms. You never know what the mailman will bring!

Dont’ forget to invite the Marine Corp League, Submarine Veterans and Sons of the Union Veterans of the Civil War. They will all come in their uniforms and present certificates, coins, patches, etc and they will give FANTASTIC speeches!

18. I just had the honor to write a “congratulations” letter. I obtained my Eagle rank in 2001. Last year my mother asked me to call a young man who was ready to give up to pursue girls, high school sports, and other things that distract teens from finishing the journey. He mother sent me the request and of course it was a typed letter that had all of the typical “this is an honor” “we’re so proud” “please take a moment”. I didn’t recognize who the scout was, but apparently whatever I said rang deep for this young man. I’m nothing more than a small business owner in a small town outside of New Orleans, but I’ve never been so honored and touched to pay forward the gift of scouting.

19. AND… If you get the announcements/requests out early enough, don’t forget to invite that personage to attend the CoH and/or the BBQ reception afterwards. You never know who might take you up on the invitation….It takes persistance, research, gumption. Kinda like earning the badge, huh?

20. Scott Satterlee // April 18, 2014 at 5:17 pm // Reply

Just found out that it is now a NCAA violations for colleges and college coaches to send letter of congratulations to high school students.

21. I have been sending letters for our amazing Eagles from our troop. They all request Mythbusters but I am having a hard time getting contact information from them. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it!!

22. Scott Blanchard // November 7, 2014 at 10:18 am // Reply

Don’t forget to think of local business leaders or people of note that your son my know or have met. I asked the staff of the local gun range where we shoot and where my son has from a very early age asked an endless stream of questions. He has interviewed their staff for school projects as well. They were delighted and presented John a nice plaque at his COH. When he read the last line of the plaque he also saw that they were presenting him with the BSA edition Ruger 10/22. I dare say this was the highlight of his night.

23. When I was Scoutmaster, I would usually ask the parents who the Eagle would like letters from. I think it was more special to try to get letters from their favorite actor, musician, celebrity on top of the usual. I tried my best. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. I have had 15 Scouts earn Eagle in the 17 years I was scoutmaster and I tried to make each and everyone super special. We have gotten letters from Astronauts, Pro Bowlers, Pro Wrestlers, Actors, Actresses, Authors, etc.

24. My son got a letter from the Pope with a picture. I was helping another family get letter and I wrote to his favorite team….the Green Bay Packers. They sent a letter, in a box along with an autographed (by each player) football. Needless to say that the boys were quite happy.

25. I never found them that meaningful. They are form letters. They aren’t often actually signed. There’s just a ‘cool’ factor. But I’m in scouts. That’s ‘not cool’ already. So I accepted that. It wasn’t until I saw Mike Rowe’s letter. There’s an honesty in his message acknowledging that it is a form letter. That, to me, was valuable, and that’s the only one I ever sought. That was several years after earning Eagle though.

26. There is no rush for the Court of Honor, take the 3 months and get the letters out and give everyone time to get ready. The only reason I see the scout wanting the ECOH right away is to get the patch to wear. In my troop we present the Eagle Rank patch at the next troop meeting after the Eagle Board of Review. This relieves the stress of Yes I am an Eagle but still wearing the Life patch.

27. The best letter my son received was from one of his favorite actors in a show that was only in syndication now (sorry Chuck.) It was hand written, torn from a notebook quality reflecting on all the campouts and hikes that they never went on together during their scouting journey (ending with sincere congratulations.)

That letter meant more to him that the letters from politicians as it showed to him that someone so obviously cared enough to step away from their comfort zone and write a sincere note.

Advice? Ask who the Scout would really like to see a note from and then ask. You never know what will show up in the mail!