Scouter Spotlight: Meet Santos Ortiz Perez

SantosOrtiz

It’s time to bring out the Scouter Spotlight again to show
off some of the best volunteers in the Scouting program. This week we’re
heading to Puerto Rico to meet an impressive volunteer, Santos Ortiz Perez. He’s been involved
in Scouting since 1999 and serves as the committee chair for Troop 720.

If his name sounds familiar, it should. Santos was featured
in the March-April 2009 issue of Scouting
magazine in a story about the Philmont Leadership Challenge. (Read that story
here.)

When he isn’t receiving high-level leadership training,
Santos volunteers at the pack, troop, and crew levels. Read on to meet this great leader.

Scouting family:
My wife, Alicemarie Comas Perez, is a Scouter also. She was on Wood Badge staff
and was the one who first got me involved in Scouting. My son earned the Arrow
of Light and then became an Eagle Scout in 2007.

What’s your favorite
Scouting memory?

I have many. First, my son’s Eagle Court of Honor—wow,
it was memorable. Also, serving on the staff of Philmont for the Philmont
Leadership Challenge was great. And then there’s the date that I received the
invitation to become a Silver Beaver in my council.

What is Scouting to
you?

For my family and me it’s a way of life. I’m grateful to the
movement for the values and the character of my two sons. There’s no money in
the world that I would take for that.

Explain the Scouting
message you use when recruiting.

Every day I invite kids to join Scouting because I don’t
really know another program in the world that offers what Scouting has to offer:
values, the Scout Law, promises to our youth, character, and the ability to
make ethical decisions.

Any plans for the 100th
Anniversary?

I’m attending the big party at Fort A.P. Hill for the 2010 National
Scout Jamboree. My son is attending as a gift for receiving his Eagle Scout
Award. He worked hard and deserved it.

What do you tell new
leaders?

Every kid deserves at least to be invited to become a Scout.
And every kid who joins deserves a trained leader. Also, remember that you sometimes need to adapt your
program to the necessities of the kids in your unit. Let them decide what is
good and what is bad.

I also like to tell leaders to “get off the bench!” Play an
important role in your unit. Get involved with all your kids in your unit.
They’re only kids once, so don’t miss that opportunity.

Our thanks to Santos for sharing his Scouting expertise. If
you have an adult volunteer who should be spotlighted, let us know.

8 Comments on Scouter Spotlight: Meet Santos Ortiz Perez

1. Jose A. Marques Bibiloni, M.D. // November 22, 2009 at 11:07 am // Reply

Santos, I wish I had a leader like you when I was a scout in the early seventies. I was there when you recieved your silver beaver, and nobody deserves it more than you do. I had the honor of being at your son’s eagle’s court of honor, and that was the best I’ve ever seen. You’ve always been loyal to your own convictions and have been an example not only to scouts but to other volunteers, and I respect you for that. My congratulations on this well deserved recognition.
    Jose A. Marques-Bibiloni,M.D.
    Chairman. District I
    Puerto Rico Council #661

2. Frank Alicea Assistant Cub-Master Pack 385 Coamo Puerto Rico // December 29, 2009 at 5:33 am // Reply

Congratulations Santos you are the best my friend, it was demostrate that the Puerto Rico Council have a good leadership and commitment with the Scouting here in Puerto Rico and the others site in the word. Congratulation Again.

3. Anthony Bonilla // December 29, 2009 at 6:07 am // Reply

Santos:
    We have onely met a couple of times, BALOO 2009 and WB NE-II-186, and I can attest to your character and charisma. Best of wishes to you and your familiy and keep the scouting spirit going.
    -Anthony Bonilla
    Cubmaster Pack 543
    Iglesia Bautista de Palmer
    Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

4. Fernando Astor Tropa 270 // December 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm // Reply

Congratulation Pitin. I am glad hear about you in this way , I meet you about 3 years ago and you are a really 100% Scouter. Congratulation to your family for have a scouter, husband and father like you.
    Take Care
    Fernando Astor and Fernandito

5. Fernando Astor Tropa 270 // December 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm // Reply

Take Care
    Fernando Astor and Fernandito

6. Fernando Astor Tropa 270 // December 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm // Reply

Take Care
    Fernando Astor and Fernandito

7. Fernando Astor Tropa 270 // December 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm // Reply

Take Care
    Fernando Astor and Fernandito

8. Cesar Silvestrini - District Commisionner // December 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm // Reply

It’s an honor to have a friend like you. Congratulations, keep going, you are one of the best.