Homepage Forums Cub Scouts Unit Number Patch – Red/Tan

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Doug A. 1 year ago.

• Author

Stephen Hornak

I have an interesting question concerning unit number patches. More specifically for the tan shirt for a Webelos den. We have had members told that if they buy a tan shirt they must by tan numerals even if they are in a Pack. This was information given to them by a retail store not a scout shop or National store. I could find nothing in the Guide to Uniform and insignia that would agree with that store’s opinion. Any thoughts ?

• #33972 Reply

Rob Hoitt

Generally. The Red/White numerals can be used for any of the uniforms. This was true from about 1963 until recently. Prior to 1963, Cubs used to have a yellow diamond patch with blue numerals on it. In 2010 the BSA launched the new khaki/green numerals for the Centennial uniform, but many old timers still had the red/whites, and that’s perfectly OK.

That being said, if you are eventually going to cross into a troop with the same number as your pack, I’d invest in the khaki/greens. If not, it’s entirely up to you.

• #33997 Reply

Benjamin Hardy

The official uniform insignia states that Boy Scouts wear the tan numerals while Cub Scouts (in either blue or tan shirts) wear the red numerals. As a former Webelos leader, I didn’t make a big deal of the boys who went ahead and got the tan numerals sewn on early. One reason I didn’t make a fuss about it was because our pack and troop shared the same numbers. Had they been different, I would probably have asked them to wear the red until they crossed over. My opinion is if they’re really close to crossing over, it’s fine for them to wear the tan numbers of that troop. But, if they’re first year Webelos, it’s “technically” incorrect to wear them.

• #34122 Reply

Q

With Cubs, don’t sweat the little stuff. So, letting the Web II’s switch to tan #s is fine. Especially if it commits then to crossing over to your troop!

Get in the habit of collecting old red #s for any new Cubs who might use them.

• #132458 Reply

Jeff Baker

I have seen unit number patches with the year the unit was established and the city and state they are from. Are these allowed? I like the format and would like to get them for our pack, but I don’t want to go against what BSA allows.

• #132889 Reply

Q

Yes! Special custom designed unit#s are uniform insignia. Talk to your scout-shop. Our CC is considering putting in an order with our charter org’s name.

If your unit attends out-of-council functions this may come in handy because it sets your scouts apart from scouts with the same unit number. (Those of you in troop/crew/pack 314, I have seen more than one unit with your number use a patch with just greek letter pi. So, if you want to be unique, you’ll have to get more creative. Or, if more math obsessive, more specific: int(100*pi) !)

• #141554 Reply

Doug A.

What’s the official ruling on unit number colors for pack leaders? As I understood it, both were considered acceptable.

• #141946 Reply

Middletownscouter

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/CubScout_Insignia.pdf

From the most recent <i>Guide to Awards and Insignia</i>, section 2, page 1, Cub Scout Program Identification, under the sub-heading Unit Number:

Unit number, cloth, white on red, Nos. 10400 through 10408 (last digit indicates the unit number for 0 through 8); for unit number 9, order No. 10406. Cub Scout and Cub Scout leader; left sleeve, position 2, touching council shoulder emblem if veteran unit bar is not worn. Multiple digit numbers may be special-ordered—2-digit, No. 10409; 3-digit, No. 10410; 4-digit, No. 10411.

White on red appears to be the official guidance, but as has been listed above either on the khaki shirt is appropriate.

Reply To: Unit Number Patch – Red/Tan
Your information: