Homepage Forums General Scouting Unit Detailed Assessment not as collaborative as hoped

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Loren Dahling 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Loren Dahling

I am a Unit Commissioner responsible for two units. I am closely engaged and have at least one simple assessment each month and sometimes several. I completed collaborative detailed assessments for them nearly 3 years ago. I have been trying to schedule one again, but both units keep putting me off. Not enough time. These are volunteer leaders, and requirements like this do take up extra time. They have work and families and a full schedule as Scouters. In addition, we have been thru the trying process of finding a new Charter Org due to the previous one no longer sponsoring Scouts, and this has also hindered their long-standing recruitment process. Lots of changes, and then I want to schedule an extra meeting.

Just one meeting. Not a big deal, right? Well, they don’t really understand why all of the extra paperwork. Let’s be honest, I have heard similar complaints from doctors, nurses, police, and other professionals. However, I fully understand the need for these tools and am determined to fulfill my duties as a Unit Commissioner because a) it benefits the unit and b) I believe our district and council do not get credit for simple assessments unless detailed assessments are completed.

To that end, I created a first draft of an assessment on paper and sent it to the key unit leaders. I invited input and asked pointed questions in the comments. One unit responded pretty quickly, but I am still waiting on the other. The CC says he will get to it, but I know he is quite busy on several fronts. At some point, is it acceptable to inform him that I will go with what I have on my own if I don’t hear anything? Not being harsh, just giving a heads up after several weeks. I am very careful and supportive in my comments both in person and in the assessment.

I don’t want to hear complaints about the requirements or anything else negative. I want positive feedback here about whether I am doing the right thing. All documentation I read says that a head-to-head meeting is expected, and it says nothing about issuing a solo assessment. I have been a Scouter for 33 years, and I know that so much of what we see are guidelines and not hard rules. Just trying to do my very best as the liaison between the unit and my district. Thanks.

• #254814 Reply

Q

My gut says it’s better to say the report was not completed rather than turn in a report on behalf of the unit key-3.

• #257651 Reply

Loren Dahling

I understand your feeling, and I have allowed it to be incomplete for three years. That is why this is a conundrum. When you think about it, simple assessments are on behalf of the unit. They are contact notes. The detailed assessment is also really on behalf of the unit. I fill out the report. It is just that we allow unit input, so it is collaborative. I would point out that this is not a blind assessment. The unit is included in the process, and they received my preliminary notes. It actually saves them time, and my study has found that it is allowable to offer my notes. One could consider silence to be affirmation since any deadline would be understood, especially after three years of incomplete assessments. It isn’t like there are communication problems. We are all friendly and otherwise cooperative. It is truly all about busy leaders not having time. At the very least, my comments would include that the unit did not provide much help and that it took the three years. Nothing blind and no actual shortcuts. Everything fully documented. Now some good news, the last unit did respond so that it is completed after about five weeks this time around due to my using email and a couple of very short questions in person. Now my situation is more hypothetical as I look to engage another unit that is not officially assigned but that I work with due to need. The recent push by my council to get these things done is why I offered to do this extra assessment. Again, thanks for your gut feeling. I do get it.

• #257680 Reply

Loren Dahling

Another thought that affects this is that the Detailed Assessment and its associated Unit Service Plan are meant to help the unit. If one does not complete the assessment, then the unit does not benefit. Of course, you can still create a separate USP and attend to unit needs, but the Detailed Assessment process allows for full documentation and ease of use. This leads me to think that it is more beneficial to complete an assessment that is short on collaboration. Does this make any sense? Thanks.

Reply To: Unit Detailed Assessment not as collaborative as hoped
Your information: