Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) Service Hourse for Ranks Tenderfoot through Life

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Middletownscouter 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Winton Smith

Questions have come up in our troop regarding service hours for ranks of Tenderfoot through Life Scout. The BSA Handbook requires those hours come from service projects approved by your Scoutmaster. Does that mean the hours must be associated with (1) an Eagle Scout Service project; (2) a Scouting-related service initiative (e.g., Wreaths Across America or Scouting for Food); or (3) can it be with non-Scouting initiatives (e.g., United Community Ministeries, Habitat for Humanity, etc). Appreciate your thoughts Bryan, and those of the forum. Best, Winton

• #194809 Reply

Middletownscouter

It can mean anything the Scoutmaster is wiling to accept. The main point of the approved by the Scoutmaster portion is to get the scout to get it approved ahead of time, and in doing that get him or her to think about what it is they’re going to be doing.

As a Scoutmaster, I have approved pretty much anything that was reasonable. Anything that was done through a scouting initiative (Eagle Scout Service Project, Troop service project, through the OA, Camp, District, or Council) was a no brainer for me to give approval. Anything done through most other organizations (Keep America Beautiful, Habitat for Humanity, etc.) was also easy to approve. Even have no problem with a youth asking if they could just go to their local park and pick up trash or do something similar on their own. In all instances, especially those that were not to be done as part of a unit initiative, I’d encourage them to document their involvement.

The only instance I can remember saying no to was when two brothers asked if helping stack firewood just delivered to their grandparents’ house would count. My feeling in that situation was that no, they should be doing that anyway because it’s their family obligation.

Reply To: Service Hourse for Ranks Tenderfoot through Life
Your information: