Homepage Forums Scouts BSA Request for BORs

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      New Committee Chair

Just a quick question. It’s not clear to me when reading the Guidelines for Advancement on who is responsible for requesting the BOR. Our troop has a policy that the Scout to communicate with the Advancement chair and their parent to schedule the BOR (this is after the SM has sent an email letting the Advancement Chair know that they have completed their SM Conference). Is this the wrong way? It’s being suggested that we are not doing this correctly.

Middletownscouter

In my years as a Scoutmaster, when a youth had completed all of the requirements for a rank including the Scoutmaster Conference, I would inform the committee that the youth was in need of a Board of Review (usually requesting them to set one up for the following week’s meeting). My understanding was that it was my responsibility to do so, partially based on the below quoted portion of the GTA (I added the bold text for emphasis).

Guide to Advancement, under section 8.0.0.1, Purpose and Timeliness of Boards of Review:

“A Scout shall not be denied this opportunity. When a Scout believes that all the requirements for a rank have been completed, including a Scoutmaster conference, a board of review must be granted. Scoutmasters —or councils or districts in the case of the Eagle Scout rank— for example, do not have authority to expect a Scout to request or organize one, or to “defer” the Scout, or to ask the Scout to perform beyond the requirements in order to be granted one.”

I don’t have a copy of the new Troop Unit Leader Guidebook vol. 1 handy, but the previous version, the Scoutmaster Handbook, Chapter 10 (Advancement), under Boards of Review, has this guidance:

“A troop should schedule its boards of review to occur on a regular basis so that Scouts and leaders can plan for them well in advance.”

I’d suggest going back through the new materials (The Scouts BSA Troop Leader Guidebook Vol. 1 & Vol. 2, and the online training courses for both Scoutmasters and Troop Committee) to see if there’s any new guidance on the matter, but it appears that part of the job and role of the Committee is to regularly provide Boards of Review. Unless the items I quoted above have changed, it shouldn’t be the responsibility of the youth to ask the adults to perform the functions of their position.

Christopher Schuster

From the Guide to Advancement:

“8.0.0.1 Purpose and Timeliness of Boards of Review

A Scout shall not be denied this opportunity. When a Scout believes that all the requirements for a rank have been completed, including a Scoutmaster conference, a board of review must be granted.”

Source:

Boards of Review: An Overview for All Ranks

From BSA’s Charter:

Purpose of the BSA

“The purpose of this corporation shall be to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in Scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods which are now in common use by Boy Scouts.”

Source

The BSA Mission

It’s the Scouts’ responsibility.

Q

As SMs/ASMs, we encourage the scouts to inform the CC that he’s ready for his BoR. If the CC can find a three MC’s (and maybe a parent sitting idle), they will arrange for it on the spot.

Sometimes, for shy scouts, we’ll help with that conversation. But by the time the boys have upper ranks, they know to ask. Often, MC’s know who’s finishing up a rank, so they are often ready to go before the scout approaches them.

If the committee is not prepared on the spot, they will schedule time for the scout the following week.

We think this strategy hews closely with the intent of the GTA, and helps the adults to live up to the scout motto.

Jay the Antelope

Our Scribe is charge with notifying the Advancement Chair that a Scout needs a BOR.
      It’s announced at the beginning and end of each and every meeting, by the Scribe.
      After their SMC, the Scout is to go to the Scribe with his Patrol Leader, book, and pen.
      Our bylaws state the Scout must be in Class-A/Field Uniform for both the SMC and BOR; but, that “rule” is waived if we’re in the woods and a Scout is ready.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.