Homepage Forums Cub Scouts Problem with Castaway cooking

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Donna Sarmanian

Castaway requirement 1b has the boys cooking two different recipes without pots and pans. Then the BSA meeting plan for this requirement has them cooking with a pot – they suggest boiling water IN A POT and toss a ziploc bag of food in. At the heading it says cooking without utensils. Cooking without utensils is next to impossible – how do you get the ziploc bag out of the water? With tongs. So which is it? We are assuming it’s without pots and pans, so we’re making banana boats in foil packets, and cooking hardboiled eggs and cinnamon bread on sticks. But I’d really like this to be cleared up.
    Thanks.

• #57943 Reply

Paul

Quite possibly a mere oversight, but the requirement to “cook without utensils” leaves a LOT of artistic freedom and opportunities, and yes… if screwed up in official BSA text, it should be edited.

Many cool ideas do NOT require cooking utensils, so let’s GET CREATIVE!

1. cook eggs in an intact 1/2 orange peel, lay them in a bed of coals
    2. cook a steak by laying it directly on the coals (works better than you think!)
    3. use GREEN wood (soaked in water) to weave a “cooking grate” to cook meat over an open fire.
    4. tinfoil wrapped meal (Silver Turtles) laid in a bed of coals
    5. (not plastic lined) canned soup / veggies can be cooked in the cans over a fire (open the lids first!)
    6. GREEN wood can be used as a spit or to simply hold meat over a fire
    7. fry meats on a ROCK that’s been heated in a fire
    8. have some REAL fun… buy some military MREs (my boys LOVED doing this!)
    9. Bacon & Eggs cooked over a fire in a brown paper bag
    10. “Hobo stoves” – bring food that comes in a large “can”, “recycle” by using the can as a “frying pan” (larger cans like a coffee can work best) to fry (1 at a time) hamburger/chicken patties
    11. cardboard box (lined with tinfoil) makes a great oven for baking brownies

• #81487 Reply

Laura

Some green wood is poisonous and plastic is toxic. During survival mode, I suppose we don’t care about these things, but they should be taught.

• #81488 Reply

Laura

Some green wood is poisonous and some plastics are toxic. During survival mode, I suppose we don’t care about these things, but they should be taught.

Reply To: Problem with Castaway cooking
Your information: