Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) Practice Eagle Board of Reviews

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul 1 year ago.

• Author

Barry W. Moore

I am amazed everytime I hear about a Troop who conducts practice Eagle Board of Reviews. The G2A specifically states that these are discouraged. The Eagle candidate has already had 5 BOR’s since becoming a Scout and should be prepared to enter his EBOR without having been prepped. It’s a disservice to the Scout if he cannot give his own unrehearsed, spontaneous answers that will help reveal his character, citizenship and personal fitness at HIS board of review.

• #75340 Reply

Q

We have better things to do besides adding mock BORs for every candidate. But, if a scout is really concerned, we will have him meet with a couple of committee members and go over the questions he’s likely to encounter.

• #75397 Reply

Paul

A young man needs “practice” to answer questions and speak candidly about his experiences after already holding 5 other ranks? Say “yes” and the next thing I’m going to ask is…. is he REALLY what you’d consider “an Eagle Scout”?

If that question needs any explanation at all, then I respectfully submit, “you don’t get it.”

• #75617 Reply

Q

Sorry, Paul. Third point of the scout law constrains us. If a scout asks for help, what would you do?

Those five BoR’s could have been years in the past. A lot of negative experiences may have driven him to be an introvert. The board members could have “turned nasty” through nobody’s fault in particular, and while we’re trying to “fix” the adults, it may be faster to prepare the boy. Or the last couple of scouts may have been denied rank for very good reasons, and the scout in question is concerned he might be counted among them.

One way or another, we wind up coaching the boy in what to say/do. So, the easiest way is to sometimes get a couple of seasoned committee an ASM, and maybe a recent Eagle. To walk him through how to give a good interview. We don’t tell the boy what to say, but we give him a few pointers of how to say it well.

Should that have happened in the due course of scouting activities (and life in general)? Yes. But when it doesn’t, helping make up for lost time seems like a good idea to me.

Insisting that we do that for every Life scout, on the other hand, is a bad idea. It moves adults from being helpful to obliging themselves and the boys to waste a lot of time.

• #75621 Reply

Paul

Rhetorical – why can’t he Google “Eagle BOR questions” and prepare himself? (That’s the difference between 1st Class and an Eagle)

The words “Eagle Scout” added to his resume or job/college application says he attained and MASTERED certain set of SKILLS. He didn’t merely “get 21 badges & did a service project”, but he’s 1 out of 25 who pushed himself to reach a level 24 others did not.

If he asks for help, then give it… along with the recommendation that he wait another 4 or 6 months for his confidence and abilities grow as he interacts with his patrol or Troop. The SM’s job is to make sure such growth opportunities exist.

• #76754 Reply

Q

I missed your rhetorical question.

The rhetorical answer is that it’s a balance between adult association and leadership development.

We have no internet access at our scout house, the scout might not have a multimedia device, and Google isn’t going to tell the scout about how our district operates boards or answer personal questions the scout hasn’t thought of asking.

There are certainly some Life scouts who we definitely do refer to the handbook with a “Study chapter one, if you’re not ready, we can postpone.” Others we tell to talk to other Eagles. That’s part of leadership development … preparing yourself.

But, sometimes there’s this sense that the scout needs a little more adult association for this step. It could be nerves. It could be a life issue that’s not being covered. It could be that interviews for other things didn’t go so great. Or, he’s avoided this kind of thing for years. We’d rather him know these leaders are there for him. It’s just that simple.

• #76738 Reply

Stuart

In general they are really more “Board of Approvals” than Board or review in my experience. Regardless of the performance the scouts are granted the rank. No”testing” is allowed. The scouts are used to passing tests in school or for a license but not for our highest rank.
    Weak projects are the fault of the scout master or committee allowing it to get this far. We have joined the rest of society in handing out out trophies for participating. Oh by the way I have been participating in Eagle Board of reviews for the last 7 years and seen the quality of work go down. The few scouts we have not passed have taken their grievance to council and on to national where their request for rank has been granted to sooth the feelings of candidates and their parents rather than preserving the integrity of the rank and the hard work put in by the majority of us Eagle Scouts.

• #76823 Reply

Paul

With a heavy heart, I agree with everything you said.

We had a Scout who decided to start posting picture of himself smoking (pot?) on his Facebook page along with a very posts of vulgarity. Based on lack of “Scout Spirit” and “living by the Oath & Law”, we informed him that we could not approve him for Eagle based on his conduct.

One call “downtown” to Council and they walked his Eagle paperwork through as fast as they’d sell him a tin of over-priced popcorn.

Reply To: Practice Eagle Board of Reviews
Your information: