Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) Parents Funding Son’s Eagle Project?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Guru 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Ag Notlim

So.. What happens if a Scout will be getting the majority (or any percentage really) of the funds for his Eagle project from his parents. Mom and Dad are willing the write the check, but would this still be considered fundraising? Should the troop leadership still sign-off on it? Will his Eagle Board likely have a problem with it? Something does not seem right about it in my opinion. I’m new to the leadership team and welcome suggestions on next steps.

• #197654 Reply

Q

Parents often do contribute to a scout’s project. Often the family shares a common cause. Back in the day, I used my parent’s belt sander for my project. That was a pretty substantial contribution, but it was for our church.

The boards of review will be more focused on the scouts actual leadership … of which most scouters I know consider fundraising to be a very minor part.

• #197627 Reply

Middletownscouter

There is no requirement that an Eagle Scout Service Project include fundraising.

I’ve seen plenty of projects where the “Where is the money coming from?” question is answered with, “Donations from family and/or friends.” I’ve also seen projects where the answer is, “The benefiting organization is supplying all the funds/materials.”

The real question is whether the scope of the project itself allows the scout to show leadership to other scouts, youth, and adults in providing the benefiting organization with the desired outcome. If the answer to this without tacking on a fundraiser is no, then there may be some further discussion warranted. If the answer is yes, then it shouldn’t really matter where the money is coming from (so long is it is legal obviously).

Personal anecdote, in addition to many projects where funding wasn’t a part of the effort, I’ve seen one Eagle Scout Service Project where the fundraising was the bulk of the project. A young man was working on the goal of providing some recreational equipment to a local charitable organization that services disabled youth. Simply purchasing that equipment isn’t really much of a project, so his fundraising effort became the bulk of his leadership opportunity. He organized and ran a local comic book convention at his high school one weekend. It was a very different means of showing leadership but no less effective, and the end result was the equipment was purchased and delivered to that charitable organization. So in some cases, the fundraising really is a key factor in the leadership opportunity, but not always.

• #199061 Reply

Guru

MiddletownScouter is right, it all comes down to LEADERSHIP (demonstrated!)

I see nothing wrong with a parent funding their son’s Project, but it MIGHT be a sign of “over-involved” parents… maybe…. maybe not.

BE SURE the adult leaders who will be a part of his Eagle BOR and sign his Eagle Workbook are PRESENT during the Eagle Project. Their real purpose is to OBSERVE a level of leadership that is commensurate with the Eagle Rank.

Reply To: Parents Funding Son’s Eagle Project?
Your information: