Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) Parent Troop Leaders and Rank Requirements

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  John S 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

John S

I am looking for the official policy on troop leaders signing for rank requirements for their own sons (especially for First Class and below). I have found many times over the policy for merit badges, but not for rank requirements. I am sure that this is not the first time that anyone has asked, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

My troop has their own policy reflecting a strong discouragement (but not prohibition)towards the practice (which I can understand well enough), however our advancement chair feels so particularly strong about it that she will refuse to process advancements with parent signatures involved. My troop moves frustratingly slow on advancement at all levels and would like to keep my own son from being dragged down by the pace. The issue all around has created rifts within the troop in the past. I am currently serving as ASM and trying to focus on this area in particular.

I have been coming to the realization that the troop operates primarily on the principles of “Because-that’s-the-I-want-it” and “Because-that-is-how-we-do-it-here.” What is the official policy and how much discretion the troop is given in these matters? What reference can I use if I need to point it out?

• #79281 Reply

Jeff

There is only one.

The BSA Guide to Advancement.

https://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

I think the answer you are looking for is in section 4.2.0.0 Mechanics of
    Advancement: In Boy Scouting and Varsity Scouting

• #79283 Reply

Derrick

The unit leader approves who can sign off on requirements. This is straight from the Guide to Advancement in the box off to the side.

https://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/GuideToAdvancement/MechanicsofAdvancement/BoyandVarsity.aspx

Tread lightly. If you upset the unit leader, he could just say you are not authorized to sign off on requirements.

Reply To: Parent Troop Leaders and Rank Requirements
Your information: