Homepage Forums Cub Scouts Pack Bylaws/Parent Handbooks

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dan Ste.Marie 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Dan Ste.Marie

Our Pack has been run successfully for the past 7 years without written by-laws/parent handbook. We have a few stand alone policies but nothing else. We have had some recent issues and it has been suggested that we need to implement by-laws for the Pack. What experiences has everybody had with by-laws? Especially interested to hear from Scouters who implemented new by-laws in a unit. Who finalized and approved the by-laws/parent handbook? The Committee? The COR? The Key 3? Where they short and sweet or did it take a pot of coffee to get through them?

Looking for your experiences

• #105057 Reply

Paul

The official Program is the ONLY program, and you agreed to abide by it when you signed your charter and your adult application. There is NEVER… as in EVER… a need for units to write their own “by laws” or related nonsense like that.

HOW a Scouting unit is supposed to operate and what each role is responsible for doing is already spelled out in a multitude of official BSA documents, from the Training courses to the Boy/Cub Scout hand book, to the Cubmaster/Scoutmaster handbook, to the Guideline for Safe Scouting.

If your Pack is talking about Bylaws, the very first thing you should be doing is getting EVERYONE properly trained and then let each person do “their job” as designed. You’ll suddenly see the need for “bylaws” disappear and let you focus on doing what you’re REALLY there for…. giving a good Cub experience to the boys.

• #108841 Reply

Hawkwin

If your Pack is talking about Bylaws, the very first thing you should be doing is getting EVERYONE properly trained

Parents (those that are not in any official leadership position) receive NO scout training so some rules/guidelines for parents is both warranted and advised. Even when my son crossed over to Boy Scouts, all scouts were sent home with a two page document that outlined the scout’s responsibilities as well as the parent’s. The scout had to sign it and so did I.

Dan, you might need to be more specific as to the issues you are experiencing. I will see if my son has yet to turn in his “responsibilities sheet” (he had a new one this past week) and if so, I will add an outline of what is being asked of me.

• #109230 Reply

Jeff S

I think the BSA recommends that every parent take the youth protection training. We highly recommend it to ours to familiarize them with the training we’re required to take. There is nothing stopping a parent from taking other training.

To the original poster – I think the only thing our Pack officially published was our calendar of events. After that we advised parents to show up and be involved. Scouts, like most other things you (and your child) will only get out of it what you put in. Your Pack will need some means of communication to parents. We also had some ‘ground rules’ for the derby’s. If a parent has an issue, look at it as an opportunity to get them involved.

• #109202 Reply

Q

No by-laws, but our troop once did the pot-of-coffee handbook. Everyone eventually forgot about it. Things ran just as smoothly when it was mothballed as when it was handed out to every parent.

Currently, our CC has a set of B&W slides on paper that he shares with new parents. That works well. He usually provides Q&A time during meetings in a separate location from the boys. That serves to inform the parents and get them out of the way of the scouts at the same time.

• #171553 Reply

Ernest A. Schmidt

we have bylaws and standard operating Procedures, and a Parent Handbook in both our Pack and Troop , in my 30 years every troop i have been with had its own charter unit bylaws. By laws give a even better written rules as what folks should expect. We also instituted them when a agreement turned bad and had to go to court. BSA did not help the troop at all and the parents involved sued the troop and church. What saved the day was our charter partners By laws, They are legal agreements in a court of law , the BSA scout Law does not help in court when you have a $10,000 lawsuit overhanging your program. BSA legal did not help either. Read the charter agreement it entirely up to your Charter partner. They rent the right to use the BSA programs only. everything else is on there back.In our case it was on the Scoutmaster , Committee chair and advancement chair and our pastor. In this day and age you cannot tell how fast folks will change and do stupid things. In the case i know about in the end the troop and folks won but it still cost them $1500.00 in lawyer fees and a lot of bad feeling we lost some excellent adult leaders too because everyone expected help from council which never happened. This is why we have by-laws and we renew them every couple of years. We had done everything right by the BSA and our chartered partner but in the mind of those parents it was not good enough and they took it a big step upward.

Reply To: Pack Bylaws/Parent Handbooks
Your information: