Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) On Water Hours

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Middletownscouter 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Lianne Edwards

Hi,

I saw this on my son’s scout summary. he has 55 hours of paddling but his “on water” hours are zero. Can anyone explain what the “on water” hours are?

Thanks.

• #75663 Reply

Middletownscouter

Scout summary from where?

• #75671 Reply

Q

Maybe he spent a week in charge of work-day corporal punishment?

Chances are someone in your unit is recording this stuff and putting it into a program, from which you are seeing a readout. It’s that person who really determines how events get classified and which data get entered.

Frankly, for this stuff, it’s just better if your son keeps his own record in his own diary. (Thus the “notes” pages in handbooks.)

If it were me, on-water hours would be time spent boating in general. Sailing, power-boating, rowing, or inner-tubing, could be “on-water”. (Submarines and ice skates = grey areas.) Paddling would be specifically for kayak or canoe treks.

Sometimes these stats might help a boy identify a merit badge or outdoor award that he could try to earn. In general, they are just for fun and bragging rights.

• #76176 Reply

TM

National Outdoor Award – Aquatics segment requires a number of hours. Not sure what software your troop uses but paddling would count along with fishing and sailing etc. Best solution is to ask your awards chairman

Reply To: On Water Hours
Your information: