Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) OA Ordeals – Scout Approved Hazing?

This topic contains 40 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Richard Lundgren 1 day, 9 hours ago.

• Author

Heather

Sleeping on the group with no tent or ground pad? working alone? eating little? Do it and your cool. Don’t and you’re not cool.

This seems like Scout Approved Hazing.

• #53651 Reply

Ankylus

Well, you’re wrong because the scouting program does not approve of hazing. I will grant you there is some inconsistency on their position with respect to, say, singing and this. But apparently Scouting does not consider this hazing.

If they do away with the ordeal, then they should do away with the Order of the Arrow.

And, frankly, I am tired of people tearing down the program. I have just about had it with Scouts turning into a daycare.

• #53656 Reply

Commissioner Ben

The Ordeal weekend is about providing cheerful service to your local scout camp, while maintaining a vow of silence and fasting. There’s nothing wrong with scouts sleeping outside of a tent, I do it whenever I use my camping hammock. This isn’t supposed to be a weekend of torture, but rather a time of reflection while introducing the bonds of brotherhood and cheerful service. For it to be considered “hazing,” I think there has to be a humiliating factor added on the part of the Elangomat. And I don’t see anything humiliating about it.

Another aspect to consider is that the three membership levels (Ordeal, Brotherhood, and Vigil) aren’t “ranks,” like Star and Life ranks are. Every arrowman is an equal arrowman to each other, regardless of their membership status.

• #53657 Reply

Ankylus

Alternative justifications similar to the ones you raise can also be made for requiring a scout to sing for the return of lost items. And yet scouting considers that to be hazing. The scouting program did not think that through well enough and has a difficult time understanding the concepts of precedent and unintended consequences.

• #53668 Reply

perdidochas

The purpose of singing is a mild humiliation (part of the definition of hazing). The purpose of the Ordeal is to test the candidates–not to humiliate, abuse or harass.

• #61687 Reply

Paul Smith

Number 1: There is nothing saying you need to join the OA. If you don’t like it, don’t join it. But, are you there only as a “Sash and Dash” participant??

Another thought, is how can you have any knowledge of what hazing is? An interpretation? Or comparison to one of your camp-outs?
      It appears in your statement, you know what hazing is.
      Plain and simple:IT IS NOT TOLERATED!

I was a scoutmaster for several years, of which, mostly great times teaching young men leadership skills. Truly amazing to see a young man turn into a very mature, forward thinking person who is confident in his ability.
      Let me put it this way, as I was told many times in the Air Force, going to another overseas assignment, “You can either make your tour the best, or the worst” It’s entirely up to you. You look for negatives, then that’s what you will find. Look for the positives and go with that!

An OA Advisor

• #53660 Reply

Hawkwin

I am not a member of this organization but I have been involved in two fraternities as well as being on active duty with the Army so I have some first hand experience with hazing.

Singing to recover a lost item is a form of hazing. It is a punishment for a lack of attentiveness that is designed to produce shame on the part of the scout that was negligent.

“Roughing it” as a task to achieve an assigned goal is not hazing. It isn’t punishment for a lapse in judgement. It is an intentially difficult task to test the will and character of the individual.

When I was in the military, we often had training tasks that were extremely difficult – both mentally and physically – not because we did something wrong, but to teach us perseverance. I would imagine that this Right of Passage is about testing the perserverance of the Scout.

• #72430 Reply

JAY VANKIRK

Correct!!!

• #53662 Reply

perdidochas

Wow, now I’ve heard it all.

Definition of hazing: Hazing is the practice of rituals and other activities involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a group.

Nothing about the Ordeal is harassment, abuse or humiliation. If it were, I wouldn’t have allowed my sons to do it.

• #53663 Reply

perdidochas

To add something else: both of my sons (since their Ordeal) have taken to sleeping on the ground without pads or tent during nice weather. It’s so not hazing that my youngest son has been an Elangomat. I’m not in the OA, and have no intention to be in the OA, but the Ordeal is not hazing. Please stop trying to turn Boy Scouts into Wimp Scouts.

• #75774 Reply

Scout Mom

I LOVE scouts. However, here is my problem with ordeal and why hazing should be considered. Boys are not told in advance what to expect. There is no choice other than embarrassment by refusing once they are there. In fact, if they were to say no, they would be humiliated. The right choice for a school year camp out may be NOT to sleep outside in a downpour and then go without much food for a day, especially when you have the burden of other health concerns. Is that the choice an adult would make? No. None of the adults are sleeping without the tent in the pouring rain. As I read below, there is nothing in the purpose of OA that should require him to go through “ordeal.” In fact, it flies in the face of “responsible” camping. Furthermore, this “honor society” is chosen in many Troops more by popularity, then by scouts who are giving back to the community and “helping.”

haz·ing
      ˈhāziNG/Submit
      nounNORTH AMERICAN
      the imposition of strenuous, often humiliating, tasks as part of a program of rigorous physical training and initiation.

As Scouting’s National Honor Society, our purpose is to:
      Recognize those who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives and through that recognition cause others to conduct themselves in a way that warrants similar recognition.
      Promote camping, responsible outdoor adventure, and environmental stewardship as essential components of every Scout’s experience, in the unit, year-round, and in summer camp.
      Develop leaders with the willingness, character, spirit and ability to advance the activities of their units, our Brotherhood, Scouting, and ultimately our nation.
      Crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others.

• #79498 Reply

Steve Stockham

No one approves of “hazing” least of all scouters! Is the Ordeal an initiation and does it have certain stated requirements as a pre-condition to membership? Yes. Sleeping out under the stars does not mean having to endure a downpour! As for “arduous labor,” what is being referred to is a “work day” which all Arrowmen participate in on a regular basis (it’s part of the “cheerful service” that we are a brotherhood of.) In fact, in our Lodge, the Ordeal candidates and the Arrowmen work together. The vow of silence is for reflection, not humiliation. Scant food isn’t “scant” in any other part of the world! It’s not even scant here. It is only that, in comparison with the meal that they will have at the end of the Ordeal that it might be considered “scant.”
      As to the choosing of candidates as a “popularity contest,” this is something that we as scouters try to discourage. As it is explained to us, “…Chingachgook bound these warriors into a great and honored Order into which can be admitted only those who themselves can forget in serving others and so firm must be their purpose so to live that their companions, taking note of their devotion, shall propose them to this Order… It is supposed to be a reflection upon their service and that is what we try to emphasize. I sincerely hope that you can see that we are not engaged in some kind of hazing. Rather, we have tried to make membership in an honor service organization more meaningful.

• #53665 Reply

Q

” … do it and your cool, do it and your not cool …”

Yep, that Jesus was uncool.

• #53690 Reply

Paul

That’s a great point!

My ordeal was sleeping under the rain clouds, wrapped in my ground tarp shivering, followed by a day of manual labor where we weren’t even allowed to speak to each other.

This… from the same people that tell me that making boys sing “Little Teapot” for lost items is “bullying”.

Oddly, the OA is the “honor society” where people are elected for embodying Scouting Principals. I don’t know of a single “Scouting Principal” that was reflected in my Ordeal, nor was there any part of my Ordeal that made me a “better person”. In fact, the entire time I was doing my Ordeal I was thinking this was “hazing”.

• #53725 Reply

perdidochas

Definitions matter. Hazing is the practice of rituals and other activities involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a group.

The purpose of the “little teapot” is mild humiliation. The purpose of the ordeal is testing. There is no harassment abuse or humiliation in the ordeal.

• #53736 Reply

Ankylus

Nonsense. The purpose of singing is to cause mild embarrassment. Embarrassment and humiliation are not the same thing. Any way you look at it you are on a slippery slope trying to defend that distinction because people like Heather won’t accept it. Good luck with that.

• #53741 Reply

Paul

Believe me, I’m right there with you fighting against the emasculation of boys and the “dumbing-down” of Scouting programs, but in context of this conversation… I haven’t read anything yet that has adequately explained how the Ordeal is NOT a form of “hazing”. Simply declaring it “not hazing” isn’t a sufficient counter-argument.

TESTING? Why would the OA have to “test” a member who is voted in by more than 50% of the troop that has seen him in action for the last year or more?

If we review the official BSA description of the OA —-

“Ordeal Membership

The induction process, called the Ordeal, is the first step toward full membership in the Order. Upon completion of the Ordeal and its ceremony, the member is expected to strengthen his involvement in the unit and encourage Scout camping.”

OK, so imagine how FEW boys you’d keep in scouting if you took them camping and forced them to sleep in the rain and stay silent the next day. Does ANY of this lend itself to “strengthening his involvement” or “encouraging Scout camping”?

Look, if there’s some hidden meaning here, help me see it. So far, I’m in agreement with Heather. I did my Ordeal and lived through it so I’d like to say that I’m “arguing” from an educated point of view. I just haven’t heard a substantive defense of the Ordeal to sway me.

• #56436 Reply

Hawkwin

Paul stated:

I haven’t read anything yet that has adequately explained how the Ordeal is NOT a form of “hazing”. Simply declaring it “not hazing” isn’t a sufficient counter-argument.

TESTING? Why would the OA have to “test” a member who is voted in by more than 50% of the troop that has seen him in action for the last year or more?

I don’t have a good answer for you either. All I can say is that I know it when I see. BUD/S week for Navy SEALs is considered one of the most difficult weeks of training that exist in the US military – but it isn’t hazing by any definition. Even if the Navy allowed their service members to “vote in” Navy SEALs candidates, they would still need to be tested to see if they fit – to take away from it simply being a clickish popularity contest. Even if a scout is voted into this organization, they might not be a good fit for membership.

Just because something is difficult, just because something is not necessarily fun or enjoyable, doesn’t make it hazing. The method by which the scouts are treated during the event likely has the greatest impact on whether the actions were punitive, or experiential, and as such, hazing, or just testing.

Im ny household, part of our accepted and published family motto is perseverance. This means we commonly put ourselves (and our kids) into situations that require them to persevere. They don’t always understand at the time why we do what we do but we never do it with malice or hostility. Every time they overcome something, they learn that they can handle more. I see this Right of Passage as much the same thing. It isn’t necessarily about learning a tangible skill, it is more about experiencing something difficult and challenging that is common among all members. That builds confidence, trust, pride, and of course, perseverance.

• #53918 Reply

Dusty S

The entire point of the Ordeal was to impart a deeper meaning to “Brotherhood of Cheerful Service.” When I went through my Ordeal, I never once thought of it as hazing. I was never belittled or humiliated, instead I was encouraged to complete the tasks and applauded for my efforts. I wasn’t broken down and yelled at, I was being built up and testing my own limits. I only encountered positive people who, for three days, explained how beneficial the Ordeal was and the reasons behind the tests. To this day, 25 years later, I am proud of those accomplishments and because of being encouraged to push myself, I have reached professional heights I wouldn’t have even attempted.

Were there boys who didn’t complete the tests? Sure, a couple. They were encouraged to continue on, but when they said they had reached their limit, they were given food and water. They broke the vow of silence more than a few times, but they still were never yelled at or humiliated. Like with any part of Scouts, its about your personal best.

We could take away the Ordeal, the tests, the memorization. Then we could take away the requirements to enter, the voting, the camping and rank requirements. We could give anyone who asked a cool sash, but then, if everything else was removed…wouldn’t it just be camping with no point?

If you think about the process to get to Eagle, anyone could say it was hazing all the way. The merit badge requirements..forcing kids to go camping when they wanted to stay home. Reciting the Oath and Law like a crazy mantra. Wearing a uniform with less badges than the next kid hurt my feelings. Getting judged by a Board of review. Eagles get their own Court of Honor. All sounds like hazing to me….just like anything else if you slant it that way.

• #56386 Reply

Randall Reed

Reminds me of the boys at The Citadel defending Hell Week and the abuse of “knobs” as a “character-building experience.” I don’t buy it.

OA is an elitist secret society within BSA. It is exclusionary. Those that are on the inside defend all the ritual hokum as “character-building.” I see it as a lot of not-so-subtle peer pressure where opting-out is not easily accomplished in the woods in the dark of night. Encouragement or coercion cuts a very fine line. And all of the OA weekends generate, at most, two hours of service for the camp from each Arrowman, after all the ritual and fellowship have played out. I am not surprised none of the advocates have really been able to provide a coherent argument as to what checks are in place to prevent coercive behaviors and hazing. Just because you went through it, does not mean hazing cannot exist. If many troops are still dancing for lost items, I do not think the fine distinctions of what is and is not bullying and hazing is well established in BSA culture.

I resent perdidochas’ insinuation that if you are NOT in OA, you must be a wimp. That statement in itself is a form of coercion and bullying. And if you want non-wimping of the Scouts, go on a 50-miler in 104 degree heat in the Deep South with my Scouts. They are not OA and they are certainly not wimps.

As a 20-year veteran of Scouting, as SM, while I never discouraged the OA presentations, I never pushed it in my troop. I could never really justify the benefits to the troop of having my best Scouts’ limited time divided between troop leadership duties and OA activities. There was no visible pay-off for the troop or the individual, regardless of OA propaganda. OA appears to be a lot of smoke without much fire, IMHO.

• #56437 Reply

Hawkwin

Randall Reed states:

Just because you went through it, does not mean hazing cannot exist.

Well of course not. But it also doesn’t necessarily mean that it is always hazing (or that it is like that with every Ordeal). BSA has a written policy against hazing, not because of this organization but because hazing can exist in any setting. As such, you are correct, hazing is absolutely possible but that does not make it so by default.

If this organization in your area looks more like hazing than not, then I encourange you to speak out against such. I am sure you would not tolerate hazing in your troop so why tolerate your troops joining an organization that, based on your perception, encourages such. I would think as abults, we all have a duty to not be passive in such a situation.

It won’t get any better if the people that witness it turn a blind eye toward it. Want them to stop acting in a manner you consider hazing? Speak up!

• #56427 Reply

Q

By extension, being very unlikely (and unwise) that a scouter would drive a boy home from a cabin/tenting weekend should he request it at 2:00 AM for no apparent medical or safety reason, isn’t every scouting activity hazing?

Boys suffer every time they hike a mile more than they’ve ever done before. Some are doing it just to fit. A few have realized that’s the price we pay for beauty.

All that said, I do agree that an SM has to curb his enthusiasm for O/A to make sure boys are fully informed before they commit time to it.

• #62790 Reply

Doc B

I stumbled on this after reading another post and have to jump in as I was having a similar discussion with a Scoutmaster yesterday. Does hazing exist – sure. Does it have any place in Scouting – OA or otherwise – NO.

As was posted before, the “tests” of the Ordeal are like tests for advancement or for merit badges. You set out to accomplish something and succeed or fail. A well run weekend (and not all are) will help the scouts to see that they can stretch themselves to accomplish something others have done and many others have not. By seeing the example of the other OA youth and adults working, and seeing that their Elangomats chose to (re-)experience the ordeal to help them, it sets a tone. maybe servant leadership?

While the “tests” have remained the same for more than 50 years, they are harder now, I think, because of how the rest of the world has changed. I talk to our candidates about the challenges they will experience (not the details) and how they will feel when they succeed. Many, not all, are very proud of themselves on Saturday night – others “get it” at other points in their lives, and for others, it was just a lousy weekend. As to “real” service time, it is more than two hours a candidate, and many more for the OA members who are also working on the weekends. Isn’t the relationship to service a scouting value?

On the relationship between the OA and the troop, the experience yesterday is on point. District Klondike, OA was staffing several towns. SM complained that he was losing his “best” scouts to OA instead of competing. His older scouts “abandoning the troop, etc”. I took a calculated risk and walked with the SM to talk to some of the OA scouts in the “towns”. Some were his, some from other troops. My question, “why are you here today?” Answers were about “having to be”, service, helping, teaching, great being on staff, hanging with friends. The risk, – “would you have come out to compete with your troop?” Answers were almost unanimously , “no” with details of being “too old”, needing to let others experience leadership, not fun, other things to do, done it too many times, one having won last year and leaving on a “high”. These were high school juniors, seniors, graduates spending a cold day helping adults and other scouts. Were it not for OA, several would be sleeping and at least 3 would have been playing online – with each other, not with the troop. A win for scouting, no?

• #62881 Reply

Michael J Dean

I cannot speak for OA as a whole, but I witnessed hazing in our Lodge. I also have to agree with parents who complain about secrecy, the swearing of oaths, mystical ceremonies and the like. Furthermore, the goals of OA are unclear at best and misleading at worst. The lessons regarding how to work together to accomlish a task are destructive. No right thinking person would attempt to tackle a task without planning, without the right tools, or without talking to one another to make the task go better. Finally, the American Indian rituals are insulting.

Based on all this, I do not recommend OA to parents anymore. It’s a shame because, despite all the negatives, OA is fun. It just doesn’t make any sense.

• #69671 Reply

SilverParent

I was called out and completed my Ordeal last year and I can tell you there was absolutely positively NO hazing.

I’m a parent but never a Scout as a kid. I didn’t even know being nominated for the OA was an option. I chose to accept though, and very glad I did. The surprise of what to expect only adds to the excitement and anticipation (although I did some research like you are now).

To keep this short, it was an honor to participate. The time of less comfort, silence (to reflect on ones own thoughts, never forced), hard work (very rewarding, pushing personal limits), accomplishment, self improvement, public service… all so rewarding that I am proud to say that my son will begin his Ordeal tomorrow. Yes, I will serve in the Ordeal and I would encourage any parent with concerns to talk to the Scout Master, talk with OA members, and attend in person to be sure you see the safety and benefits for your son.

It’s the honor society. I am so grateful for Brotherhood, Cheerfulness, Service.

• #74375 Reply

Paul

SilverParent… I hate to break this news to you, but YOUR membership in the OA is NOT part of any “honor society”… no adult’s membership is.

You’re “allowed in” because you have something they can use. Period.

Here’s a cut/paste from the oa-bsa.org website:

Q/A: Adult Membership Requirements

The requirements for adult membership are given on page 21 of the “Guide for Officers and Advisers,” #34997A, Revised 1999.

In general, the adult qualifications are different from the youth requirements. Adult selection is based upon their ability to perform the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purpose, and is not for recognition as an honor. Selected adult Scouters must be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities, and must provide a positive role model for the youth members of the lodge.

• #74578 Reply

HouTex

Paul, you absolutely missed the point of SilverParent’s post.

He is excited about sharing an experience with his son. Add to the fact that they are both experiencing scouting together, now they can include their OA experiences to that.

I am an ASM with no kids of my own in my troop. Our SM (never a scout) has no kids in the troop. Another ASM (Eagle/OA) has no kids in the troop. We are there because we believe in the scouting principles.
      I grew up in scouting and earned my Eagle, Brotherhood in OA and did my ordeal in the early 80s. My dad was an SM for 20 years. 30 years later, I am giving back to the program.

SilverParent wasn’t a scout but obviously knows how much of an impact scouting can have on a young boys journey to adulthood that his son is a scout. Part of every scouts journey is an opportunity to join the OA and for whatever reason drives him. My SM mildly pushes OA and I enthusiastically encourage them to join and be active in the OA based on my experience in the OA as a scout.

I understand that the 80s and present are vastly different. Trust me, I lament some of the changes that have occurred in the program but still believe scouting is a very relevant program for our country’s youth.

I see a generational change occurring with parents entering their sons into the program. They are happy to drop them off and pick them up. It appears to me that with all the helicopter parents who want their kids to experience so many different activities that they are just dropping off/picking up from one activity to the next. Our troop struggles to get parents involved because it requires more time from their lives and yet all of our adult leaders do not even have kids in the troop and are always there for every meeting, campout, district roundtable meeting, etc.

I applaud SilverParent’s enthusiasm and encourage him to continue to be active in the troop with his son on his son’s trail to Eagle. Scouting needs more parents like him.

• #72543 Reply

Philip Treglia Sr.

I am sorry for all the people who think that the O/A Ordeal is hazing. For those who did the ordeal and found it as hazing, evidently did not pay attention at the evening orientation or had read the O/A handbook, specifically the part regarding the historical origins of the program and what it means to do the Ordeal. For those who did not pay attention or have not read it, please go to the following website and please read the page in full. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/OrderoftheArrow.aspx

I have not only done the Ordeal but also did my Brotherhood. After doing my ordeal, I further understood what I was doing by reading and listening to the history. I am always willing to answer the call when asked to help out.

To sleep on a sleeping pad on the ground out under the stars is to understand that you are to commune with nature and to understand that you are to be one who gives back to a community that you belong to. In my council’s case, it is to recognize that we are a community with our council’s scout camp and we are with our other members who are bonding with helping out with a common purpose.

The purpose of silence during the ordeal is so that you may stay focused on the purpose of reflecting on exactly not only what you are doing but the purpose of helping to strengthen the goal of the cheerful service that is provided by the scout or adult scouter to others.

Let me pose this question to those who are knocking the Order of the Arrow Program, “The first thought of a Boy Scout is a boy in uniform, helping a little old lady across the street. Have you seen a Boy Scout do that recently?” NO. So now we try to help the young man become more conscience of being willing to give and help their community become a better place and instead people are calling the time these candidates doing their ordeal as “Hazing.” REALLY?

I would like to ask everyone who believes that this hazing, “Should we knock everything about Boy Scouts so that it just turns into ‘Just have the boy sign up and we will give you his Eagle Rank right upon signing?'” Do we really need to ‘Dumb down’ these boys so that when these boys are not prepared to offer their services voluntarily where do we turn to then for help when we need it? Because basically what we are saying is, “You do not have to become focused upon learning to awaken and sharpen your ability to volunteer.” That type of thinking will only have us asking why we do not have adults volunteering to help keep kids off the streets with a program like the Boy Scouts.

I believe that everyone has the right to express their opinion. But please, before you do, please read, listen, learn before speaking. Also ask the questions so you could better understand why the ordeal is NOT hazing!

Thank you for your understanding.

• #72589 Reply

Q

… helping a little old lady across the street. Have you seen a Boy Scout do that recently?

Yes. Actually, Son #2’s final act as a scout was to help call a weary senior citizen’s transport which had been delayed in traffic an hour after she had finished shopping. He made sure the driver was coming to the correct store, and then walked her across the street to the car. He was in uniform from serving scouting for food. I had to burn the image into my memory because it happened faster than I could ask his SM to take a picture. That was about two years ago. But every year I camp with dozens of scouts who look to do the same.

So those daily good turns are very much happening across the nation.

But, I appreciate your other points.

• #73310 Reply

Peter

I did not see anyone comment about the fasting and small amounts of food. I’ve read about small meals, meals of matches and raw food, and going an entire day without water. None of that is healthy and can make someone ill or worse. Some people may be able to fast a day or more, but some people cannot go without regular meals, and forcing them to do so would in my opinion be wrong, whether it be hazing or not. I’ve read about making people carry 50 pounds of logs at one time. Some people can’t do that. If the requirement to be a member is to do those things, then okay, if you can’t do them then you can’t be a member. Just like if I am applying for a job that requires me to lift and carry 50 pounds and I can’t do it, then I don’t get the job. But don’t try to force someone to do those things when they can’t. I would call that abuse, which is within the definition of hazing, and the definition doesn’t say anything about intent.

I don’t want to say what is done is hazing, but it is wrong to force someone beyond their limits. If someone can carry only 30 pounds, don’t load them down with 50 pounds. Don’t refuse them food or water when they need it. Respect their limits. Oh, I forgot, the word Respect is not in the scout law. Well it should be, because I see too little of it in scouting. And respecting others and their limits is not wimping out.

• #74579 Reply

HouTex

Peter, have you EVER done anything in your life that took you outside of your comfort zone? How would you know if you did? Can you grow past your comfort zone without with out any stress or strain?

Every scout takes a physical fitness test when earning the Tenderfoot rank. They are required to do their best in push ups, sit ups, sit and reach and the 1 mile run. They are then required to record those results, develop a plan to improve those results and SHOW IMPROVEMENT after 30 days. Do you believe a scout can do that without exiting their comfort zone?

What I am getting at is that the OA ordeal is taking the ordeal candidate OUT of their comfort zone for a very short amount of time. At any point of that period (literally 24 hours for some ordeals I’ve seen) if a scout is having physical difficulties detrimental to their health, the staff is going to address them immediately. Now, that said, you will also just have lazy scouts who for the first time in their life is having to do something arduous and physically taxing when they have been accustomed to sitting on the couch and free grazing from the fridge/pantry all day.

When the Ordeal is completed and they have somehow survived, I bet you can ask every single new OA brother what they thought and some will reply that it sucked and they were hungry but ask them if they would like to return the OA sash and they will say NO!

Why? Because they learned that they can endure being outside of their comfort zone and even grow stronger from it mentally and physically. They learned that “cheerful service” truly can do accomplished while being stressed. They learned that they can succeed and overcome a stressful time in their lives and can use that experience to overcome future trips outside their comfort zone.

Or I am totally off base?

• #79501 Reply

Steve Stockham

Peter,
      The Ordeal was never meant to “test” a candidate beyond their means! There is NOTHING about the Ordeal that is meant to be harmful or dangerous!! No one is refusing water for an entire day! HouTex said it pretty well. It DOES force the candidate out of their comfort zone! What is being asked of them with labor should more accurately be described as service. THAT is what we do and that is who we are! The “scant” food provided is only scant in relation to the meal that the candidates will have at the end! As to the silence, that is for reflection and not humiliation. It was a valuable experience that I treasure to this day 41 years later. I’m sorry you don’t see it that way.

• #101835 Reply

OA Camper

I just came across this post and want to add in. Scouting has no form of hazing in regular Troops or OA. If the Scout does not want to do something he is not pushing himself, we do not ask him to do more. We ask them to do their best. Scouts need to step over their comfort boundaries and try something new. Most kids now days cannot camp outside they don’t know how. I am a Vigil member and enjoyed every task I did, it helped me become a better person and Scout. I hate heights, so I actually climbed a 30 ft tower with other adults and Scouts cheering me on. I will never do it again but I enjoyed that I completed a task.

As scant food and water, you get enough to keep you going. You drink when you need a drink no one takes that from you. It is only 2 meals if you don’t eat the scant food becausse you are a picky eater than that is your fault not the OA’s.

A Scout going through his Ordeal should be prepared for all weather so unless there is lightening rain will not hurt anyone.

• #74506 Reply

Yesterday’s Scout

I seem to be censored on sight, but on the off chance my comments are “approved” ….

I underwent my Ordeal back in 1974. Things are different today, and young people are raised much differently. If you’ve got a problem with the OA then don’t join. I suspect those who are complaining never had the experience of being put into a difficult situation and overcoming and feeling the pride and sense of accomplishment upon succeeding. Some people learn to reach into themselves and find their inner strength and some do not.

• #74580 Reply

HouTex

Spot on!

• #79004 Reply

Phil

Yea! Thank you yesterday.

• #75310 Reply

Kellyann Mordosky

This seems completely ridiculous to me. I see many mentions of military. In our troop many of these boys 12 and 13, many years away from being adults.

How do we teach our kids this is ok, but hazing at a fraternity is not?

• #75798 Reply

Edward

You teach it in one simple way – you explain what the OA Ceremony is and means, and then explain what hazing is. Because the two are so utterly, completely different, I am sure your son will understand that the OA ceremonies are symbolic actions and performances which encourage service, self-reflection, and cooperation through hard-working, while hazing is the abuse of an individual to grant them entry into some frivolous organization intended more for social gain that social contributions.

If YOU cannot tell the difference, however, then you should learn the history and reality of the organization before jumping to an alarmist conclusion about what you think it is based only on your fears and not your research.

• #75799 Reply

Edward

Oh, and fun fact! Fasting at least once a month for about day can actually have HUGE medical and restorative benefits for the body! This has been studied and confirmed by countless doctors over many years. To say it is unhealthy for the boys demonstrates little more than a desire to make a point without actually studying the research on the matter.

The Ordeal ceremony is nothing hard or challenging beyond what any boy of that age can do. I was 20 lbs. underweight, small and frail when I was brought into the OA at 14 years old. And I had no problems with any of the tasks required of me. If I, being such a young and sickly thing back then, could have made it through the Ordeal without so much as a sniffle afterwards, then almost ANY kid can do so.

• #108272 Reply

Dede Bastiaan

My son is elected for the Ordeal however I am conflicted to whether he should go.

He heard enough from other scouts and did not want to go.

Any recommendation?

Should I encourage him to go and experience the Ordeal?

• #108827 Reply

Q

If he doesn’t want to be there, don’t send him. When he’s older, he can run again if he’s interested.

• #108079 Reply

Richard Lundgren

I did my ordeal in the late 80’s quickly followed by becoming a brotherhood member. The ordeal isn’t hazing because candidates are not made fun of, tacks are not humiliating and are done often with fellow brothers along side them. Food is given;however it is not an open buffet, and the stories of rotting food I believe is just that, a story. Now perhaps there are lodges that have taken things took far, which is possible, but in those cases it is up to Adult Leaders to step in.

Reply To: OA Ordeals – Scout Approved Hazing?
Your information: