Homepage Forums General Scouting Little Sisters

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Q 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

Peter Gruenbeck

Many Scouting families are a dedicated lot making the program an integral part of education and family life. Occasionally a Cub Scout or Boy Scout has a younger sister, not yet eligible for Venturing, who wants to participate in advancement activities and outing. They’ve tried Girl Scouts, Campfire and perhaps American Heritage Girls, but its just not the same. How can sisters aged 6 to 13 best participate in the program’s learning and fun without intruding on the boy’s space.

• #39213 Reply

Scouter

Although the Cub Scout program in the United States is for Boys only, a local pack has implemented the Cub Scout Program from England for the sisters of boys in the pack. The girls are in their own den and follow the requirements from the English program and participate in Family campouts with their brothers. The council has many Cub related campouts and Siblings are always welcome to participate regardless.

I know of at least one case where the girls were uniformed as per the English program and participated as a color guard at Flag Ceremony at a council cub campout.

• #43511 Reply

B Hansen

I’ve seen girls in Cub Scouts but they are “under the table”. Meaning they do many of the activities like campouts, go to meetings, do the activities, and they LOVE the Pinewood derby. But yet, they arent officially part of the pack.

Frankly I think they should open Cub Scouts to girls. I think though it will quickly put Girl Scouts out of business since Girl Scout programs generally stink so bad and are only about selling cookies.

• #45020 Reply

Richard

We’re letting them in now, Not sure how BSA will react but we are going coed.

• #47024 Reply

SpringsOne

Perhaps since boy scout fundraising programs stink and everyone likes to buy girl scout cookies, the two programs should consider merging and drawing on the best of both organizations.

• #50370 Reply

Paul

Until National BSA makes a change… “little sisters” (and non-Boy Scout aged male siblings too!) don’t have a place interacting with a Boy Scout troop. End of discussion.

I SAID… end of discussion.

If being involved in “Girl Scouts” means you tried, but can’t find a “good” area GS TROOP, they offer the Juliette program (like the BSA “Lone Scouter”) where your daughter can do Girl Scouting ON HER OWN without having to be part of a Troop and dealing with GS leaders who want to “camp” in hotels or do “bead crafts” every week until the girls’ 18th birthday or they hurl themselves off a proverbial cliff… whichever comes first.

Of course, there’s another option too… YOU can LEAD and organize a better Girl Scout troop and be of service to all the other girls who would benefit from a more, a-hem… “manly” influence with the inclusion of typical “Boy Scout” outdoor events/themes. Girl Scout policy forbids a man from being the “O1” (GS equivalent to Scoutmaster) but I’m sure you could find a female parent to step up (if only on paper).

SEMPER GUMBY
    (Always Flexible)

• #50385 Reply

Q

I agree with Paul that bending the BSA program to suit a communities desire for a co-ed option will eventually meet institutional barriers.

If you are a group of people needing program support for co-ed scouting, consider an independent scout organization. Baden-Powell Service Association comes to mind. Campfire also has some long-standing credentials.

• #64625 Reply

Karen

In my den that recently crossed over to Boy Scouting, two boys have younger sisters who come to many of the meetings. Most of the time the girls would do their own thing, but if we were doing something fun and interactive like running an obstacle course, the girls and any little brothers would get offered a turn after the boys were finished up. Sometimes the younger siblings’ involvement would mean we took more time, and sometimes the little brothers and sisters were a bit distracting, but all in all, I’m very glad they got to experience a little taste of Scouting.

And don’t forget Family Camp! Our council has family camp weekends, and they’re great for little brothers and sisters to come along and enjoy some Scouting fun.

Reply To: Little Sisters
Your information: