Homepage Forums Cub Scouts Individual Scout Accounts

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  WebelosMom 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Craig M

Recently, our pack has been doing fundraising for summer camp etc… and the topic of how to divide the $$ came up. The pack decided to divide the $$ by how much the scout/family participated. IE, if you worked a shift you got 1 share. Now we are selling camp cards [$5] where 1/2 goes to the scout into his account. The pack seems to think that if a scout sells 400 cards, that scout will get $1000 in his account for camp or to spend at the local scout store.

From what I see online, this is not what should be done. The pack leadership basically laughed me out of the room when I brought this up [not literally]. The local district leadership basically said “I have no idea what you are talking about” and said the pack could do whatever it wanted.

So am I just wrong? So confused.

NOTE: My boys have the biggest scout account balance in our pack so I am not a disgruntled parent of a scout/family that does not participate in the fundraising activities. I just want to do what is right.

• #51354 Reply

Q

Not wrong. Just a little crazy. If the troop treasurer doesn’t want to change, it won’t change. Waste your breath on the wisdom that they ask you for.

On the other hand, if your boys have earned enough per year (in addition to whatever else they make with jobs they do in the neighborhood, etc …), it could mean that they would have to file taxes … if the IRS cared about how much was not going into the treasury on account of this obfuscation.

If it still nags you, I would suggest this: instead of using your family’s portion for just your boys, ask it to be divided up by the number of boys going to camp and used to reduce their costs. That way, you’ll be more crazy than right, and every boy in your pack will grow up strong and good.

• #52887 Reply

Diane Z

At a recent Roundtable, we were told that individual accounts are not allowed – has to do with the IRS & non-profit status. What a unit can do is give percentage discounts (trips, camping, registrations, etc) to individual scouts based on sales. Works out the same, but less problematic. That being said, lots of units ignore this and still do individual accounts

• #52926 Reply

Paul

You bring up 2 very important topics; “Scout Accounts” and “raising a LOT of money”. We walk a very fine line when we “raise money” under the banner of a non-profit agency, so you guys need to proceed carefully.

“Raising a lot of money” is the easiest to answer – NO unit should ever raise more money than it needs to survive THAT CALENDAR YEAR. At the end of the year, there should be enough to re-charter and maybe a little more to carry the program until the next fund raiser, but the unit should not have any great surplus of cash, and $1000 for a Cub Scout is a tremendous amount of money. The “issue” with “carry over money” is that it is intended to be used for the boys WHO EARNED IT. If your Pack raises a lot of money when your son is a 2nd year WEBELOS, he should not “lose” the use of those funds because he bridged out at the end of the year, but the Pack wanted to keep a “rainy day fund”. HE earned it, HE should benefit from it, not the boys who are in the program NEXT year. In short… you have to be careful how you handle “non-profit” money.

“Scout Accounts” – We do use Scout Accounts in our pack & troop for exactly as you stated, it fairly rewards those who help with the fund raising. However, we emphasize and clarify that the SCOUT does NOT “own” the money. Any time a Scout unit raises money or buys equipment, it belongs to the CHARTER ORGANIZATION, not the Scout or the “pack” or “Troop”. If a Scout were to quit being a Scout, YOU MUST NEVER EVER EVER cut them a check or “pay out” their account. The money IS NOT THEIRS! The way we word it is that, “It is held in escrow by the Unit to “enrich his Scouting experience”, but if he is no longer a scout, that money is forfeit and goes back into the Troop/Pack/Crew’s general fund.”

The way we manage this is that the Treasurer holds the scout accounts in escrow. It is ALWAYS considered part of the unit “fund” and ALWAYS reported on each month during the Treasurer’s report during the Committee Meeting.

We “pay out” of Scout Accounts as REIMBURSEMENTS for any scouting-related activity, so he must produce a receipt for his new uniform shirt or new pocket knife. Only for camping trips would the Treasurer pay directly (not as cumbersome as a “reimbursement”). This way we are doing our “due diligence” to ensure that the money RAISED for Scouting is actually USED for Scouting. If he can find a way to tie an expense back to a scouting-related purpose, the Treasurer will approve reimbursement.

• #53037 Reply

Jec

We keep 50% of the $5 camp card sales as a unit and give the boys 40% of that ($2 on every $5, with the Troop keeping 50cents which helps cover any credit card fees and builds up over time to buy/replace some troop equipment etc).

I actually think its awesome that your Pack is giving all the profits back to the Cubs to use for their Camps and supplies. If you are talking about one kid selling 400 cards, I assume you guys are already big fundraisers and that your popcorn sale is huge, so the Pack should be pretty covered for it’s needs for the year from that sale (like our Troop is).

We do have Scouts in our pack who use their Scout Accounts to help other Scouts pay their camp fees or get a new sleeping bag or whatever. Make sure your families who have an excess of money know they can do that if you will allow it.

Otherwise, so what if the kid raises $1000 in his Scout Account. He has to show valid scouting expenses, else eventually that money will go back into your Pack if he quits, or go on to help him fund his Boy Scout adventure (hello jamboree at $2,000 or more depending where you live).

He could take a break from fundraising, or not have to push himself as hard the next year, because he did so well earning $1000 this year. Be prepared for the Future!!

If he just goes around buying random junk at the Scout Shop, its up to whoever approves your Scout account transactions if those are valid needs of his. As long as this check is in place, I really see no reason why you would have a problem with a kid earning a lot off one fundraising and setting himself up to be able to pay for everything for the next, year, or two, or three.

• #60173 Reply

WebelosMom

One thing not mentioned here is “individual benefit” which is why the idea of a large sum is important. The IRS limits “individual benefit” to 2% of the gross amount of fund raising/sales per scout. (if you sold $10,000 in popcorn and $5000 in cards then individual benefit limit per scout is $300) As long as the unit controls the funds, and as long as the funds are used for scouting purposes, then there is never a concern about personal benefit. So the $1000 in the cub scout’s scout account isn’t a concern unless he wants to use to pay for “random stuff”. Paul and Jec are correct that the money isn’t “their” money. If they crossover to a troop, depending on how a unit sets the policy, they can have the scout account balance transferred unit to unit but never in cash/check to a scout.

Not all purchases, even at the scout shop, are scout related so that’s where your pack finance person could set guidelines about what is and what is not a “scout-related” purchase to avoid confusion.

Reply To: Individual Scout Accounts
Your information: