Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) Girls Uniform Comments

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Q 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

L N

Where do I go to comment / provide input on the Girls BSA uniform?

The capri pants are frivolous and not functional – the entire reason for long pants is to provide cover for the entire leg from scratches, ticks, etc. If girls want to wear shorts, then they wear shorts. Long pants need to be long pants. This is not a fashion organization.

I have already seen some BSA girls in shorts that are shorter than finger-tip length, basically short shorts. Is this allowed? Or is there a rule for finger-tip length shorts for girls, and boys for that matter?

The skorts are unnecessary because shorts are just fine, as long as they are longer than finger-tip length. I’m concerned the skorts will end up being too short and inappropriate. Again, this is not a fashion organization. The uniform is for function and uniformity.

I request Youth on Youth, or some type of training, now be required for members of BSA to specifically address bullying toward girls now in scouting.

The first week of co-ed Scout summer camp was just completed and there were issues with a boy troop joking and bullying about raping some of the girls in another troop. That is not okay and the boys and girls both need training to realize this is not okay.

• #217787 Reply

Jason

I wish you luck on the clothing issues. BSA carries men’s pants, for example, that have an inseam length that is set regardless of your height. So a 5’6″ male would have his crotch end somewhere just around mid-thigh, while a 6’2″ male would have have a crotch than ends where it should. Despite numerous complaints, they never addressed this. Thankfully, other companies sell OD green clothing and listen to their customer base.

As for the boy troop that got out of line, I trust this was addressed by whichever adult witnessed it and appropriate action was taken on day one. If not, the person who reported it, the people who it was reported to, the boys and the leaders of those boys all need to be retrained.

• #219701 Reply

Erik

So a 5’6″ male would have his crotch end somewhere just around mid-thigh, while a 6’2″ male would have have a crotch than ends where it should. Despite numerous complaints, they never addressed this.

Just overall, BSA wear is some of the most horrendously fitted clothing I’ve ever seen. You’ve got:

The 34″ belt that stops at around 31″;

The Poplin Scout shirt that is fitted in larger sizes to make a person resemble a flying squirrel. (webbed arms)

The youth pants that are sized for scouts with string bean legs, regardless of waist size;

Zip off pants that turn capri pants for some people and shorts for others;

And WHY THE HECK ISN’T THERE A BSA SCOUTS SHIRT IN POLY? (like the Venture shirt)

• #223632 Reply

Q

I request Youth on Youth, or some type of training, now be required for members of BSA to specifically address bullying toward girls now in scouting.

The first week of co-ed Scout summer camp was just completed and there were issues with a boy troop joking and bullying about raping some of the girls in another troop.

Regarding youth-on-youth training, I recommend the Scouts BSA handbook. It has a section on dealing with the opposite sex. If the handbook is going unread, then no other required training will be productive.

Discipline issues across troops are common. The best “training” available is for the SPL of the agrieved troop to confront the SPL of the perpetrators. Then they coordinate ways to make amends.

Finally, there is one very specific training on this matter: the Scout Law. It is imperative that your scouts learn it to the point that they can call other scouts out on when they fall short.

Reply To: Girls Uniform Comments
Your information: