Homepage Forums Scouts BSA Female leaders in boy troops

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Laura Brunmeier.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Lisa

My son crossed over to Boy Scouts. I wanted to continue to be a leader but I have been met with silent as well as vocal resistance from male leaders from several different troops (community-based troops). I had a scoutmaster tell me that “this is a boy’s club” and while my husband was welcomed to attend the first few camp outs to help my son adjust I was not. I was kind of put off by his whole attitude, but I have encountered this at other troops but just not as bluntly. I have always enjoyed scouting and it was something that my son and I did together. He is my only child and I may be a little overprotective. But do women leaders normally not attend campouts and scout camp? The troop that he just joined is a really good unit and it is truly boy led, but the scoutmaster doesn’t seem to want women leadership accept to help file out paperwork. Any insight would be appreciated.

Jason

Lisa,

Be persistent but respectful with your request. If you haven’t already, complete the necessary paperwork and take it to your district office. I have had the privilege of serving with some very capable women with leadership roles in a troop. I have seen my share of both men and women trying to baby their scouts through difficult ordeals, so I can say that neither gender holds a monopoly on being overprotective of their little babies.

Guru

To live a “happy scout life”, I suggest avoiding any unit that doesn’t follow the National Program. That means no “blue jean brigades”, no made-up advancement/leadership rules, no lack of a PLC or the Patrol Method, no “Webelos 3” with over-involved Scoutmasters, or in your case, no “good ol’ boys club”.

So many people have had horrible, dramatic, and negative Scouting experiences trying to fix a “broken” unit, and they usually lead to people quitting Scouting forever. Even if you got your DE to force them to “accept” you, you know they don’t want you there,so why would you subject yourself to that? I’m sure other troops in your area would be very happy to have you.

Q

We welcome moms to join us in the adult side of camp. Very few have taken us up on it. But, the was who have have done good for the troop.

Bill Stevens

Women are welcomed as volunteers all across the country. You are encouraged to find a troop or start a troop. Scouting is a wonderful experience for youth and adult volunteers are needed to make it go.

Mary Breeden

I have been Scoutmaster for over 10 years and a Den Leader before that. I am the proud mother of an Eagle Scout, an Order of the Arrow Vigil member, Wood Badge trained and love summer camp. My four brothers were all Eagles and OA Vigil members. Don’t let them tell you its a “boys’ club”. I believe in the outdoor program and the leadership development. There are troops that welcome all adult leaders. Was it just the leader who told you “no”.

Laura Brunmeier

Don’t let them intimidate you, and since they are trying, avoid that troop. It likely won’t be a good fit for your son if it isn’t a good fit for you. I have been involved in my son’s scouting journey for almost 10 years now (he’s made Eagle earlier this year, and is still actively involved at 16), and am currently the Committee Chair of our Troop (among other roles including MBC). I attend as many functions as I can (campouts, meetings, I’ve attended the full week at summer camp twice) and am welcomed both locally and at larger functions. The male leaders (Scoutmaster, assistant scoutmasters, etc) in our organization welcome any and all adults to volunteer, and it is good for the boys to have us females around. Yes, I do a lot of the paperwork, but that is one of my strengths outside of Scouting, so I’m happy to provide that to the Troop. I also bring the female perspective at times, and feel it is valued (and indeed sometimes sought out) both by the adults and the boys. Don’t get me wrong, we are boy-led, and they are a rugged, active team, and I, in no way shape or form, try or want to change any of that. Scouting is about helping children (and in BSA, teenagers) be great leaders and upstanding citizens, and in order to do that they need to be conscious of all members of society. In no way should a Troop be a “good ol’ boys club”, it goes against everything we stand for.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.