Homepage Forums Cub Scouts Emergency Preparedness Award

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Travis Miller 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Diane Z

Our Wolfs & Bears are working on the requirements for the Emergency Preparedness Award. How does one “join” a safe kids program. I went to the McGruff.org site – and you can purchase kits & have the boys play the online games, but I did not see how one “joins” McGruff. As far as I can tell, once you purchase the kit & do the activities, it remains with the parent – the child does not “join” McGruff. We can get the fingerprint kits for free from our local Police Community Relations office.

• #57856 Reply

Scott

I called the Polly Klass foundation and they sent me the kits for a small donation. It is a DNA test that you keep the sample in your freezer in case the unthinkable happens. “Join” is a very subjective word. As long as the families participate I think that is fine…The Local police department or fine department may have something as well. As I recall, McGruff is fine but pricey

• #58262 Reply

Jason

What “nationally recognized first-aid course geared toward children” did you use? I couldn’t find anything on the Red Cross “FACT” in my area.

• #78177 Reply

pamela

Jason, I am our tiger den leader and faced with the same challenge: find a nationally recognized first aid course geared toward children. Wondering what you ended up doing for this. Thanks for any advice!

We are in Joliet IL, southwest of Chicago.

• #78462 Reply

Travis Miller

Anxiously awaiting the first aid course answer as well.

Reply To: Emergency Preparedness Award
Your information: