Homepage Forums General Scouting Death of a Scoutmaster

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  q 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Michael Cathers

We just had one of our active Assistant Scoutmasters die.
    What is the ‘proper’ response by the Troop? How can we show our sorry and our thanks in a respectful manner?

We have had past Scoutmaster die and attended services as a Troop in full uniform, recited the Oath and left one of our current troop specific neckerchiefs on the memorial table, but this is the first time an active scouter has died. He left behind one older Scout who is now in college and two current Scouts in our Troop. I want to do something meaningful and respectful, but doubt any of us could actually speak without breaking down.

I fear black arm bands look too reminiscent of ‘brown shirts with black arm bands’. Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

• #32119 Reply

q

When this happened with a committee member of ours, the boys all came to the viewing in uniform one evening. The boys who were close to the scout who lost his dad came to the funeral service.

For the service, Sunday best might be preferred over uniforms. Let the boys decide.

I don’t think you need any special signs of mourning. But if your boys would like something pin a small black ribbon over their patrol patch for a day.

Your former Eagles could bring the flag for the casket. If one of them would be able to offer a few words, offer that to the family. Really, follow the family’s lead on how much to participate as scouts.

Reply To: Death of a Scoutmaster
Your information: