Homepage Forums Cub Scouts Crossover ceremonies for Cubs to Scouts BSA

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  guru 1 month ago.

• Author

John Ebert

For years Packs in our area have had crossover ceremonies for the transition from Cub Scouts to (now) Scouts BSA. The ceremony involved recitation of the Scout Oath and Law and the lighting of candles for each point thereof. It was put on by members of the Order of the Arrow dressed in regalia. This year we did not have the ceremony as performed in past years. When I asked why not, I was told it was because of “national,” which I took to mean rules from the national council.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this, or has someone around here just misinterpreted something?

• #196062 Reply

Middletownscouter

It is an official policy from the National Order of the Arrow Committee, effective at the beginning of this year.

Here’s the relevant link. That page also has scripts for both Arrow of Light and Crossover ceremonies that can be done by your local OA chapter or lodge, but not in regalia.

• #195979 Reply

Rob Eberhart

Something was definitely misinterpreted. I won’t go so far as to say lazy, however I will say a great dis-service was committed to those scouts that did not receive a memorable crossover ceremony. We just completed our ceremony which included a hike through the former Schiff scouting reservation, BSA scouts dressed in regalia asking the scouts about Scout Law, Scout Oath, definition of the Wolf ears, and other easy items. Our Cub Master was in regalia and our arrows had flash paper to put through the council fire for special effect. It remains the highlight of the scouts from years past. I hope you rectify that error for next year or do some digging to find out why you were given that answer.

• #196126 Reply

John Ebert

From the link provided by “Middletownscouter”:

“… we have had many complaints surrounding these ceremonies from various American Indian tribes due to the manner in which they are conducted as well as the inconsistent nature in which they are performed.”

This is a bit mystifying to me, as the OA ordeal and brotherhood ceremonies are still performed in Indian regalia. Are there no tribal complaints about these ceremonies? Regarding “inconsistent nature”, couldn’t the OA come up with a standard crossover ceremony to be performed in regalia that would pass muster with the tribes?

Or is this whole thing indicative of a more general issue dealing with native American culture? It has been a part of Scouting since I was a youth, a part that I found very cool. I have always felt that we were honoring that culture, but maybe it looks different from the other side. But then why was it not a problem for 109 years?

• #204648 Reply

guru

Well, here’s another missed opportunity sacrificed on the alter of Political Correctness.

“Indians” have always represented a sense of adventure and respect/love for the “outdoors”. Indian cultures earned a place of REVERENCE in American society and should be reflected (as it always has been) in the Scouting program. While I am respectful to the concerns expressed by Native Americans, I don’t think anyone could ever accuse Boy Scouts of intentionally “mocking” them in any way. Quite the contrary, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”.

Why wasn’t this a “teachable” moment where representatives of various Native tribes develop appropriate ceremonies that properly demonstrate and promote Native American cultures? What should have been a BRIDGE to 2 cultures is now a wall of separation.

Reply To: Crossover ceremonies for Cubs to Scouts BSA
Your information: