Homepage Forums Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) Committee Vote is a Tie….

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Edward Melkonian 2 months ago.

• Author

Michael Thornton

In the case of a tie on the committee voting, I remember reading somewhere that the Scoutmaster then has the Tie-breaker vote. Is this correct?

• #48385 Reply

Tim

I’ve never seen anything from BSA that would give the scoutmaster voting rights on the troop committee under any circumstances. On any other committee I’ve seen, if a vote ends in a tie, then the motion fails.

• #48401 Reply

Q

Or opposing sides can front a champion and the outcome is decided by arm-wrestling.

• #48412 Reply

Michael

Sometimes it seems like it is an arm wrestling match…. Frustrating for sure.

• #49415 Reply

Paul

There’s no such thing. Keep in mind that a unit’s Committee Chair is NOT a position of “authority” and as such they NEVER get to cast a vote… EXCEPT WHEN THERE’S A TIE.

The Committee Chair is the “great organizer” who keeps things organized and moving forward following Robert’s Rules or some other method of organizing/running a meeting, but they aren’t “the boss” and they shouldn’t be regularly casting votes and NEVER making “rulings” of their own accord. They ARE allowed to vote when there’s a tie… so there’s no such thing as a “tie vote”.

In addition, the Scoutmaster is NOT a Committee Member and NEVER gets to vote on Committee issues. The Scoutmaster ANSWERS to the Committee, so he should be present at the Committee meetings to offer the Scoutmaster’s Report… then he’s free to leave.

There are logistical troop issues (Committee) and there are Program issues (Scoutmaster, SPL, and PLC). Everyone has a distinctly different set of job responsibilities. Don’t confuse your unit by blurring the lines between what each position is responsible for.

• #49417 Reply

Tim

Paul, I agree that the Scoutmaster does not have a vote in troop committee meetings, but I believe your first statement regarding the committee chair’s vote is incorrect. According to Robert’s Rules, a chair or other presiding officer can vote “(i) when the vote is by ballot, or (ii) whenever his or her vote will affect the result. When will the chair’s vote affect the result? On a vote that is not by ballot, if a majority vote is required and there is a tie, he or she may vote in the affirmative to cause the motion to prevail. If there is one more in the affirmative than in the negative,

the chair can create a tie by voting

in the negative to cause the motion to fail.”

In other words, the chair usually doesn’t vote, but is allowed a vote either to break a tie by voting ‘yes’ (causing the motion to pass) or to create a tie by voting ‘no’ (causing the motion to fail).

(http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#1)

• #49418 Reply

Tim

Sorry for the odd formatting there: “the chair can create a tie by voting” was supposed to be underlined, not on its own line.

• #228232 Reply

Edward Melkonian

Can our Charter Organization Representative VETO a vote by our Troop committee on his own,

or dose he need the support of the Two other Three Key Members

Reply To: Committee Vote is a Tie….
Your information: