Homepage Forums General Scouting Class B Limitations

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jim B 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Jim B

Does the BSA have any policy or opinion on the use of take tops, muscle shirts, sleeveless tees or any other type of sleeveless shirt as a class B? Apart from certain sports, I might think that these garments would not project the values we aspouse appropriately. That said, the new Scouting cover shows wall climers in tanks and open sided shirts. The question then is, are they dressed for minimum restrictions to movement as required by the activity, or are the wearing what they normally wear to their outings and just happen to be climbing?

Thanks in advance for any clarity on this.

• #179042 Reply

Paul Liberty

There is ONE official “Field” uniform and it is found in your Scout Handbook.

An “activity” uniform, for activities where the Field uniform is not practical, is whatever your unit decides it is. But everyone should wear the same thing; hence the term “uniform”.

• #180113 Reply

Ankylus

Jim B,

I don’t know how much you know of the lingo, and some people are particularly concerned about using correct terminology in this context.

A “field uniform” is Class A and an “activity uniform” is Class B. So, Paul Liberty’s answer in your nomenclature is “[A ‘Class B’] uniform, for activities where the [‘Class A’] uniform is not practical, is whatever your unit decides it is. But everyone should wear the same thing; hence the term “uniform”.

Extrapolating from that statement, I believe then the answer to your question is that your unit may wear “[tank] tops, muscle shirts, sleeveless tees or any other type of sleeveless shirt as a class B” so long as your unit chooses that as their Class B uniform.

That is the same as my understanding. Within the confines of YPT, of course. For example, if you are in a female or coed (when the time comes) unit, then the open sided shirts would be inappropriate under YPT even though they may be acceptable Class B in a male unit.

• #190985 Reply

Guru

There is no standard “class B” uniform, but now that girls are allowed in Scouting, you’ll need to make sure some tops (such as low cut tank tops or sleeveless shirts with baggy open sides) aren’t chosen to ensure the girls breasts aren’t easily exposed.

Reply To: Class B Limitations
Your information: