Homepage Forums Cub Scouts AOL to Troop in Feb – any exceptions for Girls?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  CMD 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

CMD

Our local girl troop that is getting ready to launch in Feb is eager to get our AOL den on board for their launch date, and has talked up the possibility of being a founding member to our 10 year old 5th grade girls.
    I know some dens formed June 1, and those girls could have met all the requirements for AOL by Feb, but we didn’t have enough interested at the same time to get started until the beginning of Nov, so the “6 months in your den” piece won’t be met, even if the girls work their tails off getting the rest done.
    Someone seems to have told the troop leader that 5th graders can choose to stay in cub scouts for the rest of the year OR cross over to the troop, regardless of AOL completion. Or at least told him something close enough that this is what he heard. When I asked someone at council they said “well, aren’t they all 11 by mid year anyway?” (no – our oldest has an April birthday) so I’m worried that everything they’ve told our girls is based on that flawed assumption.
    I’d really like to pin down the actual answer on this so I can manage their expectations appropriately.

• #179104 Reply

CMD

One of the parents has informed me that the leader of the new troop has a written confirmation from the council office that the girls will be able to crossover without earning AOL.
    So, I guess that’s our answer.
    Assuming, of course, that they understood the question and don’t just mean they can crossover at the end of the year. Or when they turn 11.
    Guess I’ll just go with what council has supposedly stated, and if they realize later that this isn’t actually possible, deal with that when we get there.

• #179046 Reply

JeffS

One does not have to earn AOL to cross over to a troop.

How old (or young) can a youth be to join Scouting?

Boy Scouting is for youth 11 to 17 years of age. Scouts also may become Boy Scouts if they have earned the Cub Scouting Arrow of Light Award and are at least 10 years old or have completed the fifth grade and are at least 10 years old

• #179069 Reply

Middletownscouter

The actual answer is that an AOL Cub Scout can cross over to a Scouts BSA unit at one of three times based on the Scouts BSA age requirements:

1. They are 10 years old and have earned the Arrow of Light, or
    2. They are at least 10 years old and have completed the Fifth Grade, or
    3. They are 11 years old.

That’s it as far as age requirements go. These are listed on both the current Youth application (Form 524-406), and on National’s FAQ site.

Also, any member of the new Troop (youth or adult) who joins at any time during the first charter year (2019 in your scenario), are considered founding members of the troop and eligible to wear the “FOUNDER” strip on their uniform. There’s more information on that award at this link.

• #179227 Reply

CMD

This was just brought to my attention today:

The Advancement Trail

It looks like hot off the press changes that DO reduce the tenure requirement for AOL from 6 months to 3.

Reply To: AOL to Troop in Feb – any exceptions for Girls?
Your information: