Step aboard for high adventure at the Sea Base.
With treks in the Florida Keys, Bahamas and U.S. Virgin Islands, the Florida National High Adventure Sea Base offers once-in-a-lifetime adventures customized to the interests of your Scouts and Venturers.
Start planning your 2020 or 2021 trek now. Before you know it, you’ll be exploring the ocean, scoping out coral reefs, sailing, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, ocean kayaking, camping and enjoying all kinds of extreme adventure.
Scouts and Venturers can choose from 20 different Sea Base adventures at six spectacular locations. Learn scuba diving at a five-star PADI Instructor Development Resort. Camp on Sea Base’s own primitive barrier island. Enjoy a STEM program where you’ll catch and tag sharks to collect critical scientific data. The possibilities are positively oceanic.
Multiple winter, spring and summer 2020 dates are still available. Registration for 2021 adventures will open at 9 a.m. EST on Jan. 15, 2019.
Here’s what else you need to know about planning a trip to this underwater wilderness.
Sea Base 2020 and 2021 registration info
- 2020: Multiple 2020 winter, spring and summer dates are available! Click here to learn more and make a reservation.
- 2020 Spring Marine STEM OR STEM Eco Sailing Adventures: Many high schools allow students to miss classes to participate in STEM-based adventures like these two. Click here to learn more.
- Marine STEM Adventure: Imagine taking a week away from school to explore the Florida Keys, catch and tag sharks and grow endangered coral. Participants will snorkel the Florida Barrier Reef and Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary while learning to identify coral bleaching. They’ll kayak through sea grass and mangrove habitats. And they’ll build underwater robots and fly drones — all in the name of science.
- STEM Eco Sailing Adventure: For a week in the spring, the waters surrounding the Florida Keys can be your classroom away from school. Participants will live onboard two 40- to 45-foot sailboats, explore the wildlife and ecosystems of the four major marine habitats of the Florida Keys by kayaking and snorkeling through mangrove habitat, snorkeling the Florida Barrier Reef, and sailing on to each destination. They will learn to identify fish, plants, and corals — and develop a greater appreciation for the delicate balance of this amazing tropical environment.
- 2021: Reservations for winter, spring and summer 2021 adventures open at 9 a.m. EST on Jan. 15, 2020.
- Note: This isn’t a lottery system. These 2021 reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sea Base anticipates that more than 1,000 users will access the reservation system on Jan. 15, so Be Prepared. You’ll want to have a list of multiple dates and adventures prior to entering the reservation system, as well as your BSA member number, council name and district name. Have a check or credit card available to pay the $250 deposit that will secure your adventure.
Other Florida Sea Base news you need
- 12-participant adventures to St. Thomas: Want to sail in St. Thomas and bring more than eight crew members? Sea Base will begin offering sailing adventures for crews of up to 12 participants in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, beginning in 2020.
- A sailing adventure with a stop in Key West: Want to sail to Key West? Sea Base will open a new sailing adventure that spends time in Key West, Fla., beginning in 2020.
- At Sea Base, demand regularly exceeds the supply of available adventures. In an effort to meet this demand, Sea Base is expanding the number of summer adventures available starting in 2020.