This post was updated Jan. 28.
Excitement continues to build for the launch of Scouts BSA on Friday, Feb. 1.
On Monday, Jan. 28, the BSA’s Supply Group shared the latest updates about Scouts BSA uniform and handbook availability.
Your council should expect the initial delivery of Scouts BSA uniform pieces for girls, including shirts and shorts, by Wednesday or Thursday of this week (Jan. 30 or 31). Roll-up pants for girls are expected in Scout shops by Friday, Feb. 1.
The Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls arrived in nationally operated Scout shops last week, with more being sent to councils this week.
Find more details below. But first, a quick note to leaders and Scouts in existing all-boy troops: your uniforms and handbooks won’t need to be replaced. You’re good to go.
For leaders of new Scouts BSA troops, as well as new Scouts BSA members — boy or girl — keep reading for the latest info.
Scouts BSA uniforms: Your questions answered
When will the new Scouts BSA uniforms be available?
- Scouts BSA uniform pieces for girls will be available in nationally operated Scout shops by Friday, Feb. 1. You can also check online stock at scoutshop.org. That includes the roll-up pants, girl’s short-sleeve shirt and more uniform items for girls. I recommend you call your local store to confirm availability before making a trip.
- Scouts BSA uniform pieces for women have been delayed because of reasons out of the BSA’s control. But keep in mind that the BSA has been selling uniform pieces for women for some time. The current version of uniform shirts for women are available in Scout shops now. The new versions are being expedited to councils but may not be in shops by Friday, Feb. 1.
What’s new or different about the Scouts BSA uniform?
- The Scouts BSA uniform shirt comes in sizes and cuts for women and girls.
- New uniform pants for women and girls can be rolled up at the leg to be worn as capri pants. Women and girls can also purchase the current, switchback-style uniform pants that zip off at the knee.
- The new shirt is tan and features a BSA fleur-de-lis emblem and the letters “BSA” in red over the right pocket. The existing inventory of tan shirts, with “BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA” in red over the right pocket, will be available until they’re all sold out.
Can I still wear previous-generation uniform pieces?
Yes. With BSA uniforms, the rule is: once official, always official.
Can I mix and match old and new uniform pieces?
Yes. For example, you could wear the new tan Scouts BSA uniform shirt with previous-generation green uniform pants.
Scouts BSA Handbook: Your questions answered
When will the new Scouts BSA Handbook be available?
Scouts BSA launches Feb. 1, but the Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls is now available at scoutshop.org and many nationally operated Scout shops.
I recommend you call your local store to confirm availability before making a trip.
The Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys will be shipped to Scout shops this summer as current inventory decreases. Boys can continue using the 13th Edition of the Boy Scout Handbook, which remains available at Scout shops and online.
Why are there two different handbooks?
The volunteer-led board of directors wanted to ensure Scouts can see themselves represented accurately in the pages, and having two handbooks was the most effective way to do that.
The photos reflect the troop of which the Scout is a member. In other words, boys will see images of other boys in the Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys; girls will see images of other girls in the Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls.
Is the content the same between the Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys and the Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls?
Yes, the content, requirements and page numbers are exactly the same. All that’s different is the photos.
What did and didn’t change from the Boy Scout Handbook to the Scouts BSA Handbooks?
What didn’t change:
- Program elements
What did change:
- Images, which reflect the troop of which the Scout is a member
- The program name — Boy Scouts becomes Scouts BSA
- Youth Protection guidelines, which are regularly updated to keep young people safe
- Minor grammar and formatting fixes to the 13th Edition of the Boy Scout Handbook