High-Adventure Week is a once-a-year Bryan on Scouting event that celebrates the once-in-a-lifetime experiences offered at the BSA’s four national high-adventure bases.
Getting to Philmont Scout Ranch isn’t easy. The drive from the Denver airport takes more than four hours. The airport in Albuquerque, N.M., is a little closer — but not by much.
Once you’re there, though? Whoa. Saying it’s worth the trip is an understatement.
That remote setting in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains is what makes Philmont so special. It’s what has compelled more than 1 million Scouts, Venturers and adult leaders to visit Philmont since its first camping season in 1939.
Philmont, located near the New Mexico-Colorado border, is a hiking paradise. It’s really two places in one, with the sides separated by a simple road.
This post will focus on the high-adventure side, from which young people and adults depart each day during the summer on 7- or 12-day treks. During those life-changing treks they explore miles of rugged trails and stop at several of the 34 staffed camps and 55 trail camps.
Then there’s the training side — the Philmont Training Center — where more than 6,000 Scouters and family members attend a conference each year. In one of the best settings imaginable, they learn about the latest Scouting tools and techniques, share ideas with fellow Scouters and interact with experienced faculty members. All registered Scouters are invited to attend training center courses (and bring the whole family with them). Council approval is no longer required.
The 2017 trek lottery
The calendar says 2015, but Philmont’s already planning for 2017. Once again, treks will be allotted through an online lottery. The 2017 lottery window opens today — Oct. 28, 2015 — and closes Nov. 18, 2015.
There’s no cost to enter the lottery, and you aren’t committed if your plans change. If there’s a chance your Scouts or Venturers will want to go in 2017, you should submit an entry. Here’s how:
- Visit this site.
- Complete this registration worksheet (PDF), which also has some good info about the process.
- Enter your registration information.
- Request promotional materials to recruit crew members.
Note: This is a lottery, so there’s no advantage to being the first one to register. As long as your entry — one per unit max — is submitted during the window, you’re good.
Other Philmont news worth reading
- The Philmont Advisor Skill School, or PASS, has been a big success. The courses, held across the country, help better prepare adult advisors so they can confidently lead their crew in an upcoming Philmont trek. Some 400 people registered in the first 60 days. Here’s one review from a course attendee:
- “Attended a Philmont Advisor Skills School (PASS) class yesterday at Shabbona Lake State Park in Illinois. Eric Martinez, chief Ranger, was an awesome instructor, and his two Ranger helpers were also very helpful. I highly recommend this course for anyone who is planning to attend Philmont Scout Ranch — or even thinking about it. The class was hands-on and extremely informative.”
- Philmont Individual Programs are aimed at young people who can’t or don’t want to attend Philmont with a full crew. I’ve blogged about these individual adventures before; today’s news is that spots for 2016 are still available.
- Philmont is open all year long. Learn more about Autumn Adventure and Winter Adventure.
- Philmont will send you free promotional materials. Get the scoop on how to get handouts, banners and brochures here.
- Whether you’re a frequent Philmont-er or are still dreaming of your first visit, there’s gear you’ll love at the award-winning Tooth of Time Traders.
How to register and learn more
Visit the Philmont website or call 575-376-2281.
Photos by Thao Nguyen, Roger Morgan and Brian Payne. Thanks to Philmont’s Bryan Hayek for the info.
Support the BSA National High Adventure Base Camp Scholarship Fund
Your support can help bridge the gap between ambition and access, allowing Scouts to participate in life-changing experiences at BSA’s National High Adventure Bases. Help make epic adventures a reality that will ignite a lifelong passion for the outdoors.Donate Today