What's New

Webelos who start in 2014 will be able to finish under old program.

Homepage Forums Cub Scouts Webelos who start in 2014 will be able to finish under old program.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Indah 1 month ago.

• Author

Stuart Weinberg

The FAQ publish is actually incorrect. I have confirmed this with someone at National. They said

” Scouts beginning to work on their Webelos rank in 2014 will use the current program and will have the options of continuing to use this program through 12/31/2015 or use the new program. ”

Just wanted to pass this on. I know we had a lot of confused/concerned leaders in my area.

Dan Kurtenbach

Thanks, Stuart. Is that JUST for WEBELOS rank, or does it include Arrow of Light?

The program transition information at http://www.scouting.org/programupdates states: “Boys who have achieved the Webelos rank by June 1, 2015, may complete this [Arrow of Light] requirement (three adventure electives) by using Webelos activity badges or pins earned before June 1, 2015. These three activity badges must be in addition to those required for earning the Webelos rank.”

I think that fits with the statement you passed on to us, but I’m not sure. It sounds to me like, if a Scout begins working on Webelos rank in 2014, then:

(a) If he achieves Webelos rank before June 1, 2015, he can apply additional Webelos activity badges earned before June 1, 2015, toward the NEW Arrow of Light requirements.

(b) If he has not completed Webelos rank before June 1, 2015, he can continue to work on Webelos rank under the current requirements OR switch over to the new adventure system to complete Webelos rank — but would then use the new adventure system for Arrow of Light.

Dan Kurtenbach

In a Bryan on Scouting blog post yesterday (http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/07/07/webelos-arrow-light-transition-gets-second-option/), Bryan cleared up my confusion:
      ——————————
      “Cub Scouts who have earned the Webelos rank as of June 1, 2015, and are moving on to earning the Arrow of Light will now have two options for completing the Arrow of Light:

“Option 1: He may continue to work out of the current handbook and complete the Arrow of Light requirements as stated.

“Option 2: He may begin using the new Webelos Handbook and the Webelos Den Leader Guide for the Webelos adventures. If he chooses this option:

” – He must complete the four defined required adventures.
      ” – To satisfy the requirement for three electives, he may use EITHER the new adventure electives OR activity badges earned under the current program but not used to fulfill Webelos rank requirements.

“Previously only Option 2 was available, meaning when first-year Webelos transitioned to the second-year Webelos program in 2015, they would need to get the new book and earn their Arrow of Light Award under the redesigned program.

“They may still do that, or they may choose Option 1 and stick with the current handbook and requirements as they finish Cub Scouts.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.