Latest Posts

Henry Repeating Arms salutes BSA with Scouting-themed rifles

Two American traditions unite in an impressive way with Scouting-themed rifles from Henry Repeating Arms.

Patented in 1860, Henry rifles were used in the Civil War. The Henry Repeating Arms Co. is still producing rifles with the quality, craftsmanship and accuracy of those history-making repeaters right here in America.

Henry has unveiled a collection of beautiful Scouting rifles that commemorate:

• 100 years of the Order the Arrow
  • Eagle Scouts
  • Philmont Scout Ranch
  • 100 years of the Boy Scouts of America
  • 100 years of the Eagle Scout award

Henry_salute_to_scouting_FB.jpgAll are impeccable works of art, but I have my eye on the new Salute to Scouting rifle (seen at right), just released last month.

It features extensive 19th-century-style engraving on both sides of its gleaming nickel-plated receiver cover. It builds on the Henry Golden Boy’s 20-inch octagonal barrel, walnut furniture and adjustable semi-buckhorn sights.

Elegant flourishes make it stand out. A 24-karat gold-plated BSA banner adorns the right hand of the receiver. A depiction of Norman Rockwell’s classic painting “I Will Do My Best,” including the Scout Oath, is laser-etched into the buttstock. On the forearm it reads “Duty to God and Country, Duty to Others, Duty to Self,” encapsulating the lifestyle of the Scouting values we hold dear.

Two Henry traditions set the company apart from competitors. For one, they offer a lifetime warranty that doesn’t require a law degree to understand. Henry corrects any problem immediately and at no charge to you. Second, Henry rifles are — and always will be — “Made in America, or Not Made at All.”

To learn more about Henry’s Scouting-themed rifles, click here. To find a Henry dealer near you, click here. And to view the entire line of Henry rifles and order a free catalog, click here.

19 Comments on Henry Repeating Arms salutes BSA with Scouting-themed rifles

1. Nelson Block // June 12, 2015 at 10:10 am // Reply

Tremendously disappointed that BSA, without consulting the leadership of the Order of the Arrow, cheapened the OA’s brand by licensing OA symbols and words to enrich a private enterprise. Particularly disturbing is a reference to the Admonition on a rifle.

• ScoutingManiac // June 12, 2015 at 8:28 pm // Reply

Are you positive the leadership of the OA wasn’t involved? Just because we don’t hear about it doesn’t mean the National OA Committee wasn’t involved. Also the licensing of the “OA brand” (symbols/logos/identifiers) isn’t anything new. Just like any other logo/trademark of the BSA the OA trademark is subject to the same requirements. BSA has required companies to have to ask permission to use BSA trademarks since at least 2005, if not earlier.

I am sure that the trademark policy and requirements of licensing existed before 2005 but that was the first time I was made aware of the policy. I was made aware because during that year I went to the National Scout Jamboree as Quartermaster and as such I was involved in the process of picking which companies we used for patches/hats/bags that had one or more of the BSA trademarks on it.

2. Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition.

• get a life this will better OA

3. Darryl Denhalter // June 12, 2015 at 11:05 am // Reply

I just hope The Henry Repeating Arms Co. doesn’t make squirt guns.

• oops, I hadn’t thought of that issue. My pet peeve – marshmallow, water guns and balloons. Sorry, if kids are going to become violent by playing with those this world is doomed for sure! The ‘don’t shoot at’ policy is carrying it too far in relation to those ‘guns’. Water balloons aren’t even GUNS, for Lord’s Sake.

But I’m sure most of you are aware that this is not new for Henry and BSA? I have the Eagle scout Henry – and we’ve had it for nearly 5 years. The OA and Philmont ones are new, but not the regular Eagle and Boy Scout one. Just the 100th ones are new.

About the Indians, that is an issue, but would it be any different if it was a replica of an M-1?….used to kill other nationalities? A gun is a weapon, and unless hunting it’s used for protection or target practice. It is not a toy, and that’s why we have rules…..BSA or otherwise (I’m an NRA/BSA range officer, pistol/rifle/shotgun/archery instructor – since 1976 with NRA). SAFETY FIRST.

But the rules go overboard with the above mentioned toys, yes TOYS. Paintball I’m torn about. If you shoot someone closeup with those (we have them) they DO hurt and can leave bruises. Used with protection they way it’s intended they aren’t dangerous.

• ScoutingManiac // June 12, 2015 at 9:37 pm // Reply

FYI the policy about “simulated firearms” is nothing new. It was mentioned in the 1998 version of the Guide to Safe Scouting. The shooting sports manual also listed it as prohibited activity in the 20011 (?) version.

I however disagree with the policy.

• I agree, it’s not new, but I don’t think it went as far as water balloons back then. You aren’t trying to shoot someone, you’re trying to SOAK them, lol. They don’t look like guns. No mistaking them for a gun. It’s not much different than playing baseball. Actually its safer. No, no one plans on hitting the batter, but it happens….a LOT. Or a fielder for that matter. Ballons aren’t going to cause a head injury.

4. I own the three copies each of the Eagle Scout rifle, the Philmont Scout Ranch and the 100 years of the Boy Scouts of America rifle. All with consecutive serial numbers for my self and my sons (both Eagles). I have spoken to Henry Rifle directly on these rifles and I am told that the BSA does well with their license fees so they get their money out of this deal. However what I find most amusing about these rifles is that you can not shoot one on a BSA range, due to the wisdom of Dallas, they only allow bolt action rifles on their ranges. Imagine the fun Scouts would have being allowed to use lever action 22’s in a cowboy action set up. Alas we can sell you the rifle and take home the profit but we won’t let you use it. Hypocritical, but what do you expect from the boys in Dallas.

5. We have the original Eagle Scout Henry – got it when my grandson got his Eagle at the age of 14 back in 2011. Nothing shoots like a Henry.

He’s in OA, but I’m the one really into OA – I’m an advisor. I so want this weapon, as well as the 100th Eagle. When I win the lottery I’ll get one of each!

6. Jim Cormier // June 12, 2015 at 11:21 am // Reply

I will agree these are bueatiful rifles, however with the BSA policies regarding Shooting, and water guns, paintbal and laser tag and how we are trying to teach Pacifism, but the BSA is in effect endorsing a gun and a gun used against Native Americans!

So how much is BSA earning on these?

• Jim, The Henry lever action rifle was first made in 1860 and was first used in the Civil War. Cav units particular prized them. Lots of Rebels and Yankees found out why. So the red herring about endorsing a gun used against the American Indians is a little late in the game. Besides Two hundred or more Lakota and Cheyenne combatants are known to have been armed with Henry, Winchester, or similar lever-action repeating rifles at the battle of Little Big Horn. With few exceptions, virtually every trooper in the 7th Cavalry fought with the single-shot, breech-loading Springfield carbine and the Colt revolver. We all know how that turned out. Given your reasoning we shouldn’t use bolt action rifles either because the bolt action rifle was the standard rifle used in WWI and for many countries in WWII.

• H. David Pendleton // June 18, 2015 at 6:42 am // Reply

Based on the theory that we should not endorse a lever-action gun because it was used in the Indian Wars after the Civil War, we should not do black powder rifle shooting as part of the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge either since Daniel Boone used a similar gun, the Brown Bess, against American Indian tribes such as the Shawnee. Thus, we should not do any type of shooting in the BSA.

We may have to stop doing the Archery Merit Badge as well as that was a weapon used against whites from almost the time the first while men stepped off the boats into the New World.

7. I originally subscribed to this “blog” to receive timely BSA news and relevent program content. I find the comments section especially helpful and insightful to better appreciate a wide variety of Scouter opinions.

IMO, a once a day summary of what is really important would be most helpful to the vast majority of busy Scouters trying to stay up-to-date with an ever changing program. Most of us do not have the time for two, three, four or more notices a day; especially when more and more of these “blog” articles are drifting further and further away from being classified as truly newsworthy. Honestly, I find I am deleting more and more posts without even opening them, just from glancing at the headline. Hey, isn’t that what most of us consider SPAM?

To be even more helpful and useful, shorter and more concise articles that can be read on one page without needing to click on link “To read more of this post” would also be more considerate of readers, especially those using mobile devices.

Most importantly, I have to say I genuinely feel a line needs to be drawn somewhere and I hope that line is a foot short of us receiving any more “Sponsored Posts”. This is not BSA news and not the kind of content I believe most of us expected to be receiving when we subscribed. IMO, “Sponsored Posts” cheapens the “blog” and turns off readers.

Is there no bottom line to what the BSA won’t sell to turn a dollar?

• What does “IMO” mean?

8. Not sure why you think the BSA is against shooting. Shooting Sports are a big part of the program, from Cub Scout day camp (BB Guns and archery) to Boy Scout summer camps (rifles, shotguns and archery), Venturing Crew outings (pistols, rifles, shotguns and archery), and national jamborees (same). The restriction in BSA shooting sports is no shooting at people or representations of people, even if using toys made to look like guns.

That may be a little extreme on the PC side (water guns), but it’s a least a consistent policy

• Maybe it would be better for you to subscribe for no charge to “Scouting Newsroom” which can be done through http://www.my scouting.org because they send out informational emails like you are describing. These posts of “BryanOnScouting” is more of a blog with feature posts.

9. Hmmmmm…$1,100 for a rifle or pay to work at the Jamboree.

Rifle … or Jamboree.

Jamboree … or rifle.

Ah, I know. Son’s college tuition, car payment, mortgage and medical bills. That’s what I’ll use it for. 🙂

10. Mr. Bubbles // June 15, 2015 at 3:03 pm // Reply

Winchester and Colt have also made commemorotive BSA and Eagle Scout versions of their most popular .22 rifles and pistols before too. Most commemoritives go down in value, but due to the sheer number of people involved in Scouts over the years, the BSA editions seemed to have held up better than most of the others.