Latest Posts

10 reasons a week at Scout summer camp beats a week at the office

Your coworkers who haven’t been to Scout summer camp themselves will never understand.

“You’re spending a week outside with a bunch of kids? And you’re sleeping in a tent? Are you crazy?”

But you get it. You know that while your coworkers wade through email, yawn through another teleconference and fill out the gazillionth Excel spreadsheet, you’ll be living it up the way Scouters do.

You’re maximizing your vacation time this summer at Scout camp.

Whether you go for a weekend with your Cub Scout pack or a week with your Boy Scout troop or Venturing crew, it sure beats being at the office.

Here are 10 reasons why. The answers come from our friends on the Scouting magazine Facebook page.

Summer-Camp-1

1. You’re at a place where songs and skits are encouraged.

“We break into chants, songs and skits at camp. Never have I seen this at the office!”

– Kris H.

Summer-Camp-2

2. You get to unplug for a week.

“No Internet, no Wi-Fi, minimal cell service. Disconnected from the real world. Just Scouting in the woods.”

– Tad M.

Summer-Camp-3

3. You get to witness young people grow into adults.

“As much work as it is, watching the boys grow as individuals, patrols and as a troop makes it all worth it. Plus any day in the woods, let alone a week, is better than any day in the office!”

– Ryan R.

“People at the office are who they are. They have already ‘become.’ At summer camp you get to watch boys grow into men. It is especially fun to watch the change in first-year Scouts as they learn that they can do more than they are allowed to do at home. The confidence just soars.”

– John H.

Summer-Camp-4

4. You make lifelong memories.

“It is the one week each year that my boys (currently a Bear and a Wolf) talk about — nonstop — for the other 51 weeks! We make memories and have experiences that last a lifetime.”

– Crystal B.

Summer-Camp-5

5. You get time with your son or daughter.

“Last year, my Cub Scout was having a rough time, so we departed camp a day early after breakfast. I drove no further than a mile down the road before he begged me to go back. We made it back in time to go to the row boats on the lake. Later that night at the campfire, the camp director had a microphone and would ask kids what their favorite event at camp was, and mine answered ‘Row-boating with my dad.’ Already signed up for resident camp, and I’m volunteering for day camp. The only thing that would prevent me from attending either one is the sudden end of the world. There are many ‘offices,” but I only have one son.”

– James N.

“My boys are growing up fast. I don’t want to miss their achievements. Plus seeing how Cub Scouts take in everything when at camp is the best!”

– Krista A.

Summer-Camp-6

6. You experience something good for the mind and soul.

“Imagine how much it would cost to sit or lie on a therapist couch for a full week 24/7 then compare the cost of a week of summer camp. It’s a no-brainier.”

– Glenn T.

Summer-Camp-7

7. You see young people become leaders.

“Because at camp when someone asks me a question I can always answer, ‘have you asked your patrol leader, and the SPL?’ Truly seeing the boys grow from year to year is the best part.”

– Michael B.

“Just to see the Scouts take charge of themselves is the most wonderful experience one can have.”

– Clara S.

Summer-Camp-8

8. You avoid stress for a week.

“Summer camp in the woods for a week … no stress, no demands, totally relaxing!”

– Carol G.

“Camping, hiking, sun, nature, singing, acting like a kid, no cell service, no computer … gosh, the list goes on and on.”

– Francine B.

Summer-Camp-9

9. You learn something new.

” I always learn something new, and it’s so much fun seeing the growth and sense of accomplishment the boys have! The fact that its a week out of the office is a bonus!”

– Barbara P.

Summer-Camp-10

10. You don’t have to be at the office.

“Can’t beat the view: Scouts having fun among the trees and mountains versus a computer telling you when you have to be at the next meeting.”

– Krystal L.

“A bad day camping is better than a good day at work. No ifs, ands or buts about it.”

– Jerry J.

“I don’t have to make copies.”

– Jack M.

What do you think?

What makes a week (or weekend) at Scout summer camp better than time spent at the office? Keep it going in the comments.

35 Comments on 10 reasons a week at Scout summer camp beats a week at the office

1. One word – napping

• Bryan Wendell // June 2, 2015 at 9:08 am // Reply

How’s that any different from the office? 🙂

• Nap on Safely is a course given at Summercamp! And yes, there is a patch!

• Because, napping in the woods in your tent beats napping anywhere else. All you hear are woods noises as you nod off to sleep for an hour or two.

• Two words — camp coffee.

2. The best way to watch a young man grow is through Scouting. I love watching the bonds between the boys while at camp. Pretty amazing!

3. It’s like a retreat: I learn just how inessential I am. A humbling experience that gives me perspective.

4. Ray Knihtila // June 2, 2015 at 9:27 am // Reply

It’s a toss-up asvto who has more fun in our Troop, Scouts or Scouters. I get to work on my “Geezer Merit Badge”.

5. Number 2 isn’t as true anymore, with more and more councils making their camps “wifi capable”, so that young people can use a compass or GPS on their phone…

Denver Area Council’s camps are set up with wifi.

• Yes, National Capital Area Council’s camps are the same way. We could never really completely disconnect because, before wifi and cell service came, many would show up with Iridium Sat phones, especially if they worked in the Pentagon.

• Cell reception is terrible at PV – although it is pretty good at Magnessn

• Parents who don’t go want to feel connected to their kids who do go and want to see the pictures of their kids. I don’t have WiFi at the moment, and it means I can’t post the video I just took of the literal three inch long wolf spider (head to back off butt).

6. No prolonged negotiations about where to go for lunch. No fashion wars. Nature sounds are better than office sounds… even raindrops on canvas is more soothing than a shredder. Whittling or woggling during down time. Free Shooting beats golfing any day of the week. The feeling of walking on dirt trails instead of concrete and asphalt. Feeling the wind on your face rather than watching it though a window.

7. You get to chase a woodpecker through the woods for hours to take its picture. The next morning its sitting by your tent posing. Best time every working with grandson on bird studies.

8. What me Worry? // June 2, 2015 at 11:26 am // Reply

Sorry, I can’t make a recommendation now. I have a meeting with the Bobs.

9. There is no better week than Scout Camp !

10. For a change I get to hang out with some of the best guys I know on the planet. Great men that all have the best interest of their sons in mind by being there…
    That and getting to send the children to bed so we can act like them!

11. Number 1 doesn’t apply for me. We have Friday morning sing along at our office.

12. Larry DuGuay // June 2, 2015 at 2:27 pm // Reply

If you aint scouting, you should be pouting.

13. Mike Franks // June 2, 2015 at 4:45 pm // Reply

Napping. You don’t have to worry bout getting caught at camp. Wake me at meal time please.

14. Look around your home. How much “Stuff” have you got, only within eyeshot right now.? How much of that is REALLY important to you? Memories? Useful? Must have to secure life and limb?
    Then think about camp. How much “Stuff” do you have there? Even thinking about the Dining Hall? Is your life complete, there, at camp? How much “stuff” do you REALLY need? There’s a Camp lesson not often learned, or even considered.
    How ’bout Philmont or Katadhin? How is it possible to live so WELL, with only what you can carry on your back?

• Mr. Support // June 3, 2015 at 6:59 am // Reply

…only with what you carry on your back. (And a thousand people doing trail maintenance, packaging food, leading crews, training in outdoor ethics, serving your medical and spiritual needs, driving vehicles, and, yes, hiding all of those so you can carry it all on your back.)

15. No laundry, no cooking, and an excuse to share my flashlight collection!

16. Best time I ever had. Best friends I ever made.

17. Great Opportunity to take a break from watching over my elderly brother. I get to feel young again!

18. Every week I work at summer camp, I make less than half of what I normally make outside summer camp in a week. But this summer I’ll be spending a few days short of 12 solid weeks all told, three weeks of getting things ready and manual labor, one staff week, 8 weeks of actual camp, and a few days of manual labor cleaning up and putting everything away.

I can truthfully say that it’s one of the highlights of my year and I absolutely love it.

There’s still no way in this world that I’ll be paying $1500 to work the summer national jamboree thing, that’s just not going to happen, no way, no how, and I’m kind of insulted that National thinks it’s ok to ask me to pay that much for the dubious pleasure of working for a camp in Virginia that seems to be hemorrhaging money and focusing on the wrong things. That’s not a sustainable business plan.

My dad always said, no matter how beautiful a rose bush is, if it’s in the middle of a potato patch, it’s a weed.

Take the showers. Put in some solar panels, inline water heaters, or at least some above-ground plumbing, and hot or at least tepid showers could have been easy. Winter could freeze the pipes? Yeah, I heard that to. This is what happens when things are designed by committees who decide to ban water guns and have no experience with what they’re designing, and want everything built with robots. You add did extra taps to drain those pipes every fall, just like you might drain your sprinkler pipes every fall.

19. did you decide to crash the cubicle wall to see if you could land a promotion too?

20. hrmm…. apparently the in comments replies are gone, tht last comment was to my office space friend above….

21. Darth Vader // June 3, 2015 at 6:45 pm // Reply

Summer Camp? What is that? Need more details before a rationale comment may be offered……

Why all the napping?

You folks staying up too late with your phone and tablets at home & the Office?

22. The Professor // June 3, 2015 at 6:48 pm // Reply

Not everyone habituates an office or Cubicle domain.

How about those who experiment in a Lab, Plant, or Hospital??

Whole new sets of variable to consider, germs to avoid, processes to streamline, NO HAZARDOUS WASTE profiles or SHARPS containers…..

23. Because. Its. Camp.

24. Kevin L. Warmack // June 9, 2015 at 6:54 am // Reply

Scout camp is a week of pure relaxation, growth, maturity and fun. It’s watching your son and his friends do things that they would never do at home. It’s putting 3 young African American men through a Board of Review for their Life Scout rank with the leaders from a troop different council, watching them handle every question with no hesitation, then to have those gentlemen say, “I want to be there for their Eagle Court!! You have some great young men there!! (Unfortunately, they didn’t make Eagle. They were very involved in school activities)

I’ve been a way from being a Scoutmaster for a few years. But I treasure those weeks of Scout Camp!!

25. Since 1996, every even-numbered year, I’ve been fortunate enough to lead groups of one or two patrols to the Blair Atholl Scottish International Patrol Jamborette in Blair Atholl, Perthshire, Scotland. Everything everyone’s said about Scout camp goes double, or triple, if you get the opportunity to attend a Scout camp in another country.

At Blair Atholl each of our six-boy patrols is merged with an equal-size patrol of Scots, and they camp as a Scottish patrol for ten days before going home with a Scottish Scout they met at the Jamborette for a few days’ home visitation. We leaders get jobs at the Jamborette (I lead tours of Blair Castle), and have the opportunity to work with Scouts and leaders from twenty different countries. When you’re not working directly with the Scouts, there’s a Staff Club where you can socialize with other leaders over a cup of tea or take part in the entertainment every evening. I can’t wait to get back next summer!

26. I spent 8 days with 17 Scouts and 10 adults in South Dakota. On the first night I learned, the meaning of camp evacuation during a thunderstorm. A pole in my tent broke so I (and Scouts) learned how to shank.
    I also learned how to swamp a canoe and how difficult it is to steer without a paddle.
    I had so much fun and watching my son laugh and make new friends with the boys in his troop was priceless!

• How to shank? Shin, shank, meat, sewing. So you all started stabbing each other to see who’d get the dry spot?