Latest Posts

Here’s the number of Eagle Scouts per year from 1912 to 2015

How many young men have earned Eagle Scout each year since 1912? I thought you’d never ask.

Perhaps you’re an Eagle Scout and want to see how many other young men earned the rank the same year you did.  Or maybe you’d like to see how the number of Eagle Scouts per year has changed throughout history.

Here’s a year-by-year breakdown of the more than 2.3 million young men who have become Eagle Scouts since the award was first presented in 1912.

Number of Eagle Scouts per year, 1912 to 2015

2010 57,147
2011 51,933
2012 58,659
2013 56,841
2014 51,820
2015 54,366

Hat tip: Thanks, as always, to Mike Lo Vecchio for these figures. Photo from Flickr: Some rights reserved by MTSOfan

91 Comments on Here’s the number of Eagle Scouts per year from 1912 to 2015

1. How many William T. Hornaday Silver medals were presented in 2014? This year (2015) is the 100th anniversary of the Hornaday award.

• There were nine silver and three bronze in 2014. Still a total less that 1200 since the inception of the medal

• Info we had from National indicated 1 Bronze and 7 Silver and only 115 Badges for 2014.

• Mark Prescott // February 20, 2015 at 4:47 pm // Reply

This is great information. Can you identify Eagle Palms awarded?

2. Jeff Clausen // February 19, 2015 at 8:08 am // Reply

My year, 1973, held the record for the most Eagles, for 25 years. Now the numbers are even higher even though our generation of Baby Boomers was the largest. Why do you suppose the numbers are so high now?

• H. David Pendleton // February 19, 2015 at 8:38 am // Reply

This discussion on the increase in Eagle Scouts has occurred here on Bryan’s blog, LinkedIn, & Facebook. There is little chance of finding the exact reasons for the increase in the number of Eagles over time. Some factors that need to be considered, however, include: (1) Changes in the requirements such as the elimination of learning Morse Code or Semaphore for advancement to 1st Class; (2) Addition of the Eagle project; (3) Change that Scouts can earn Merit Badges immediately instead of waiting until they reached 1st Class; (4) Increased training for Scouters so that more understand the program; (5) Change in focus for some summer camps from a week of outdoor activities to earning 3-8 Merit Badges in a week; (6) Eagle Week at some camps; (7) Troop Eagle Advisors; (8) Easier access to Merit Badge Counselors through the Internet; (9) Proliferation of Merit Badge Forums/Fairs/Roundups; (10) Helicopter Parents who perceive the value of the Eagle Scout rank on college applications.

I am sure that others could list additional reasons for the flucuation in the numbers such as the large increase so Scouts could earn the special patch during the 100th anniversary year of the BSA.

• Jeff – I suspect that it is because more Scouts are aware of how good it looks on college / job applications. Parents push their Scouts harder to earn it or drag them kicking and screaming across the finish line.

• Instinctively I go with the “helicopter parent” answer, but I think that is too simple. I do think that kids these days are very motivated and are really hard workers. I look at these kids, I look at these eagle scouts every year and I am more and more impressed. I don’t know if it is simply my view of my area, but I am very optimistic about the future of our country.

• You will find this represents a higher percentage of boys achieving Eagle scout now than ever before. There are several reasons:
      – There are now more leaders who were Eagle scouts. So, rank advancement is better understood among troop leadership.
      – There are as many leaders/relatives out there who didn’t make Eagle and, looking back, wish they had. Boys coming into troops now get that message.
      – More boys come into the program with an eye towards earning Eagle some day.
      – In the nineties, the question was asked among many benefactors of scouting: “Why aren’t more Life scouts making Eagle?” One result at our summer camp was a “Trail to Eagle” area where First Class Scouts were encouraged to visit. (For a couple of years they were given pocket-knives if they did!) There, they could set goals and map out a plan for advancement for the next year.
      – The internet. This lowered the cost of advancement by making available alternate forms of learning … the most notorious being merit badge worksheets.

Some of this resulted in unintended consequences … troop meetings focusing on advancement to the exclusion of the boys actually planning/cleaning up from their outings … parents becoming more involved in their boys’ advancement undermining the fundamental objective of building self-reliance and resourcefulness … service being mainly defined as helping the next Eagle candidates project.

Needless to say, boys who don’t want to be “pushed to advance” beyond First Class avoid the program, and that has some say in our decreasing membership numbers … which further increases the percentage of Eagle scouts. The jury is still out as to how much better a program the average troop has as a result.

• Snappercaptain@ aol.com // February 20, 2015 at 2:14 pm // Reply

Simply kids don’t earn it parents sign off and push them through. Parentsin scouts equal eagles in a troop went to an eagle party a couple years back
      And got robbed as an eagle I hate this to be true but it happens and we had one hand knot tieing competition something I never did but was faster then most even with there tricks they learned if they could even tie them at all with two hands this is why there are so many eagles

• I would think the addition of the Eagle Scout Leadership Project (number 2) would NOT help increase the numbers. We should also consider that there are more choices in required MBs. For example I was required to earn Lifesaving MB to become an Eagle Scout (although my project effort was not the same as we see today). A number of my contemporaries were stuck at Life because they just couldn’t get through Lifesaving.
      I wonder why with less membership in Scouting the number of Eagle Scouts goes up? There are three data points to consider. Total membership in the BSA (so we can look at the percentage of membership earning Eagle; total NEW Boy Scouts in a year (to understand the churn of membership) and lastly the percentage of available youth in the US who are Scouts, year over year.

My hypothesis is that numbers go up because the population of the US has more than tripled since the inception of Scouting (US census 1910 92 million; 2010 309 million). There are more Eagle Scouts simply because there are more people.

That doesn’t explain the percentage increase I think exists. It’s not caused by one factor, like Eagle Mentors or Merit Badge Forums. I think it may be more fundamental. Boys who join Scouting today are more dedicated to being Scouts. There are so many more activities and events for boys today so the ones who choose Scouting are more dedicated and more motivated/driven to become Eagle Scouts.

• Most scouts are leading service projects of one kind or another throughout their tenure. The only challenge with this one is the amount of paperwork. Proposals and reports are skills that many younger scouts are still developing. Thus the age shift.

But, now that there are two generations of scouters who understand how this all works, boys have better coaches, and are less intimidated. Honestly, what stands in a boy’s way these days is a willingness to start the conversations with adults who are waiting to help him.

• No one has mentioned this subtle thing called…wait for it…population growth…

3. I think it would be most revealing to see the number of registered Boy Scouts (not Cubs or others that cannot earn Eagle Rank) along side the number of Eagles.

• Chris Teschan // February 19, 2015 at 8:29 am // Reply

Unfortunately, there are many Chartered Orgs and Troops that have become “Eagle mills”….handing
      out the award to any kid that can do the Merit Badges.

4. I heard that it used to be much more difficult to get Eagle. Everyone had to get Lifesaving and if you couldn’t bring up a giant sack of potatoes from the bottom of the pool, you couldn’t earn the award.

I earned Eagle in the late nineties and some of the requirements were easier at that time than they were even in the eighties. I wish the rigor would have remained because I wanted Eagle and would have done anything to get it. It would have been a better challenge for myself.

• H. David Pendleton // February 19, 2015 at 11:08 am // Reply

Neil: Some aspects of getting Eagle are easier, but others are more difficult. Once upon a time there was no Eagle project required. There was also less paperwork to navigate as a Scout now has to visit with district or council representatives to get project approval.

Some Merit Badges were much easier to obtain. I don’t have my reprint of an early Scout Handbook with me, but remember that Swimming had ONLY 3 requirements with the most difficult one being able to swim 200 yards. Astronomy had only 5 requirements & basically it was telling how the planets & moon moved & pick out a few constellations.

The Internet, Merit Badge events, Troop Eagle Coordinators, & Eagle Summer camps all make the process easier.

The outside demands have also changed. I had little homework when I was in school & was able to work 30-40 hours a week while maintain an A average. Homework starts early & never ends in schools today. Back “then,” high schools were often close by. In many places (such as rural areas), there are now only 1 high school in the entire county. Thus, parents have to do more transportation (and thus organization) for their non-driving children. When I was a kid, I would walk the 2 blocks to the church where our troop met. My son’s troop is about 3 1/2 blocks from our house. During the summer, he sometimes rides his bike to a meeting when I don’t go (which isn’t often). My wife would not let him walk that distance in the dark even if I would let him.

Times change and we have to adjust. Isn’t that something that we learned in Wood Badge?

• Neil, I failed Lifesaving MB twice; was a good swimmer but wasn’t strong enough to pull up the High School linebacker who was twice my size from the bottom of the pool. If only he was a sack of potatoes! I had given up on Eagle until the program changed in 1974, providing Emergency Preparedness as an alternate to Lifesaving. Going with the new program meant I had to quickly earn all new required badges and skill awards. I finished my Eagle on the night before my 18th birthday in 1975 – the lowest Eagle year between 1960 and now. I doubt I would have been a volunteer for 32 years without that change.

• I was in the same boat. A skinny 110 lb Life Scout who couldn’t earn Lifesaving MB because it was the equivalent of Red Cross Lifesaving back then.

Ironically, I turned 21 (the max age for an Explorer back then to become Eagle) three months before the Emergency Preparedness option became available. And since I had learned Rock climbing (rope work and rescue was originally emphasized in EP) in ROTC, guess who then got to become the 21 year old Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge counselor at our camp in the summer of 1972? But no complaining, because I learned as a Scout to do your best and be cheerful.

Once again, Eagle is just one kids rank in the advancement scheme, which itself is just one of the EIGHT methods of Scouting. I know many Scouters who show more Scouting spirit as adults than some who earned Eagle as a kid. And the rest of the world seems to fulfill Baden-Powell’s vision without such a big emphasis on what rank beyond First Class and adult had earned as a kid.

5. HarshReality // February 19, 2015 at 8:19 am // Reply

I admit I’m a bit of a data nut, but I wonder why 1973 was so high, and then just three years later (1976, when I got my Eagle), the numbers were about 1/2 that? Makes you go “hmmm….”

• My memory is that the “Improved Scout Program” came into use and 1973 was the last year that a Scout could earn the Eagle using the older requirements. Among other things, again if my memory is correct, Eagle under the Improved Scout Program required 24 merit badges. So Scouts rushed to complete Eagle using the old requirements.

• The spike in the 1973 figures are really really easy to explain (and I am on of the 46,000,) It has been explained to a minor degree. Yes there was a significant change in requirements (this is the time that skill awards were introduced and we also lost the word “Boy” in our name… oh what a debacle) But most significant for those pursuing the rank of Eagle was that if you didn’t complete your Eagle requirements by the close of 1973 you would have to earn not 21 merit badges but 24. Many like myself saw the finish line pushed further away and decided to cross the line before the rules changed. (BTW I earned over 24 merit badges before I aged out). Many many Eagle that earned their eagle that year also have the date of earning the rank as 12/31/1973 most likely the most eagle recorded for any single day… since many many Eagle Board of Reviews were conducted after the close of the year.

• I was one of those 24 merit badge Eagles. Not only did the number of required merit badges change, but the set of required merit badges changed significantly. Now I had to earn the Citizenships and Environmental Science and others. That was pretty disruptive and I suspect part of the reason for the significant drop in numbers.

• In 65 you had to be able to get the swimming and lifesaving meritual badges. I believe this should still be part of the Eagle process.

• I suspect one reason 1973 was roughly the high point of BSA membership – which has seen an annual decline ever since. I know that in the troop I was in as a boy – 1973-1975 saw a handful of eagle scouts because there were a large group of high school aged boys. But after 1975 and onward, there was less than a handful. Eagle actually got easier at that point in time – because swimming wasn’t required for the first time. You could earn Sports MB instead. And lifesaving became optional. Those probably also help explain the spike. Lots of members – and alternate requirements for scouts who couldn’t get certain MB’s. Nowadays those scouts could have easily gotten difficult MBs like swimming and lifesaving – all they would have to do is show up at summer camp. Forty years ago – that wasn’t the case. Back then, you actually needed to be a proficient swimmer.

6. The Boy Scout program went through a serious decline in the 70’s when the program was changed to deemphasize the outdoor program and traditional scouting activities. This will be evident when the membership data, or at least the % get posted and the membership extrapolated.

I expect the rates for Eagle are currently at an all time high. In our area, advancement seems to take center stage over the experience as parents push for it to be on college applications.

7. Richard Hendry // February 19, 2015 at 8:47 am // Reply

Bryan, can you find numbers on how many Sea Scout earn the Quartermaster Award each year. I know in the 1960’s when I received mine there were about 160 nationwide, last couple years around 33 or so. Thanks for any info.

8. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the rate year by year of the number of boys who join Boy Scouts (not Cub Scouts) and the number who earn the Eagle rank. Last year it was about 34% earned Eagle based on the statistics from the national office (No it is not 1%). I think the numbers would show that this rate has gone up significantly. When I started keeping statistics in 1991 it was about 25%. If the number of boys joining the Boy Scout program is not available historically, comparison of the number of Tenderfoot ranks to the number of Eagle Scout ranks would give an approximation which should be available somewhere at the national office.

• Hello Tom,
      Your numbers are just about exactly the same that I have calculated.
      If the question being asked is “What percentage of Scouts earn Eagle in any one year” the answer is indeed currently about 6%.
      But if the question is “If 100 boys join as Boy Scouts, what percentage become Eagle Scouts”, I believe that your 25%-34% is correct.

The reason is that in the former case, the Scout only appears for one year in numerator of the calculation, the year that he becomes Eagle. However every Scout, whether they earn the Eagle or not, appears many times in the denominator for each year that he is a member.

Until recently, the national record keeping did not permit tracking of individual Scouts throughout their time in Scouting. But, exactly as you have done, the percentage can be approximated with the number of boys joining or, slightly less accurately, with the number of boys who earn Tenderfoot.

9. Bryan – a side-by-side comparison (by year) of Eagle Scouts, Quartermaster Awards and Silver awards would be very helpful and informative. How many Silver Awards have been presented since the start of Venturing by year?

10. It looks like the 1973 class was very large for the time. I wonder what caused that, as well as the 2013, which I think had something to do with the 100 year patch.

• See my comment from above.
      “My memory is that the “Improved Scout Program” came into use and 1973 was the last year that a Scout could earn the Eagle using the older requirements. Among other things, again if my memory is correct, Eagle under the Improved Scout Program required 24 merit badges. So Scouts rushed to complete Eagle using the old requirements.”

• The largest birth year of the Baby Boomers turned 16 that year. As others said, the coming program change prompted many to finish before 1974.

11. These numbers speak for themselves by showing that Scouting has become more about churning out Eagle scouts than anything else.
    How many summer camps now offer “Eagle week”? How many councils hold merit badge seminars now? How many troops base program solely around merit badges? How many troops have their own adults covering the Eagle based merit badges?
    We all know the answers to these questions. It’s a shame.

• Keith Johnson // February 20, 2015 at 1:21 pm // Reply

Patrick – You hit it on the head. When I was a Scout in the late 60s, early 70’s (yes, part of that class of ’73), the Troop worked with the younger Scouts to get them to 1st Class. After that, you were on your own, working on MBs individually and contacting MB counselors to set up appointments. My son earned his Eagle in ’06 and I don’t think he earned a single MB that wasn’t part of summer camp or a MB class.

• Yesterday's Scout // February 20, 2015 at 9:18 pm // Reply

Absolutely right. “Back then” most of my merit badges were earned on my own with a counselor who I selected and after I had made an appointment to meet with him. Very few of my merit badges were earned at summer camp and there was no merit badge university/college/day. In our troop today we have Scouts who pretty much refuse to work on merit badges outside of summer camp or structured merit badge classes.

• Does anyone know when BSA summer camps switched from being fun places to go for a week or two of outdoor activiites to a week of school where non-qualified 15 year old MB counselors hand out merit badges to scouts for merely sitting quietly in class and listening to their boring lectures?

• Yesterday's Scout // February 20, 2015 at 11:19 pm //

Not I. But I do know that my sons’ summer camp experience is very different from mine. I asked them when they had free time for swimming. They told they did not, that the water was in use for swimming or lifesaving classes all day every day. In any event, they could not have gone swimming even if there had been free time. Their days were packed from one end to the other with merit badge classes. A couple of boys even had classes at night.

12. Jim Robertson // February 19, 2015 at 10:33 am // Reply

Any stats on what percent of Eagles earn the different palms?

13. Robert Bardsley // February 19, 2015 at 11:21 am // Reply

Though not in the same league as the Eagle, Quartermaster or Silver awards, it would be nice to see a report on how many Varsity Scouts earn the Denali Award; which is the highest Varsity award. I just had three young men in my Team earn the award this month. We did the award presentation at our District Round table because no one in our Council knew what the award was .Being the only Varsity Team in the Council and in the State does pose challenges.

Of the three young men, one is a Life Scout; one an Eagle; and the third completed his Eagle BOR the night of the presentation.

14. In 2013, 56,841 Scouts earned the Eagle Scout rank.
    From 1912 to 2013, 2.3 million Boy Scouts earned the Eagle Scout rank.
    Around 7 percent of all Boy Scouts earned the Eagle Scout rank in 2013.
    In 2013, the average age of boys earning the Eagle Scout rank was 17 years of age
    From: http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSheets/EagleScouts.aspx

For all of you concerned about “churning” – you could expect that if there was a lot of push for this to be on the college application, the average age would be earlier – for a lot of kids in the troop, getting it at 17 means that you are getting it after the application process. Let’s agree that Scouting is expensive. From there I would say that being an Eagle Scout – in absence of anything else that would show you to be special – is economically not worthwhile. Related, I have read somewhere that the average age to be an Eagle has increased over time, which is an indication that it is harder accomplish, not easier.

The decrease in Scout membership did not occur because of a de-empathizing of outdoors in the program, rather it was the other way around, some of the Scout requriements because less interesting to youth. BSA is, above all, a business. You go where you perceive the market is going. You see that now. Kids are not joining Scouts in favor of “X” games, so the BSA build “The Summit” for High Adventure to try and compete – knowing full well how well the other special places like Philmont are popular.

I agree with H. David Pendleton – there are a myriad of reasons for the increase of Eagle Scouts over the Years. Let’s assume that for the majority the overall reasons are the honest pride of accomplishment and the prestige of the Award. Let’s not denigrate today’s generation of Eagle Scout with rude comments that the greater numbers today are a result lowering of standards or hovering parents. That is just plain wrong to do.

• H. David Pendleton // February 19, 2015 at 12:07 pm // Reply

Al: You made some great points. This is the 1st time I have seen a rebuttal to the reason Scouts are getting Eagle is to put it on their college application. Since many of the Eagles have their BOR after their 18th birthday, yes it is entirely possible that they have already applied to college w/o being an Eagle.

The overall emphasis (overemphasis?) on safety means that there are some teenagers that would rather participate in sports not sanctioned by BSA and thus eliminate joining BSA as an option. I saw an article about living in Europe & how they think it is inane to have to put protective rails on mountain trails or signs up that say, “Stay away from the edge. It’s a long ways down” as they believe that common sense should tell the individuals to do so. Not so in America with a lawyer waiting at the end of the trail to sue someone. Many other Scout organizations around the world allow their Scouts to do activities that the BSA would never sanction such as fencing to canyoning.

And yes, the average age of an Eagle Scout has never been higher. 50+ years ago, the average Eagle Scout was about 14 years of age. If it was so much more difficult to get Eagle, how come it happened on average 3 years earlier than it does today? There is a segment of the Scouter population that will never accept the fact that obtaining Eagle is still a difficult process and equivalent to what occurred during their “generation.” These are probably the same people that had to walk 5 miles to school each way, uphill, in snow, & barefoot to obtain their high school diploma.

15. I chair Eagle Boards in District 5 of the Northern Lights Council in Fargo ND. I have had the privilege of fledging 85 – 90 Eagles in the years I have done this. It seems that no matter how old the Scout is he exemplifies the best of our youth. I am proud of the Eagles whose Boards I have chaired and look forward to many more. I really have no opinion on the increase other than to note the special Eagle patch for the Scouting centennial and probably for the Eagle centennial. My congratulations to all who earn the badge and my thanks for the volunteers who get them to the threshold.

16. OK, here is a chart that shows the data above in a visual format. It helped me see the data better.

This is a direct image link to a site I host. No ads or other images.

• H. David Pendleton // February 19, 2015 at 12:53 pm // Reply

Great visual!!! I wonder what the Scouters thought of that blip in 1973?

• Besides the 1973 blip, the other, smaller blips also seem to go with changes in Eagle requirements, such as the addition of the cooking MB as required.

• I had a similar idea about displaying the data in a graph. I did a bit of a meta analysis that agrees with a lot of the comments already posted. http://guthrieeyecare.com/icare/achieving-more-in-scouting/

17. Jerome F. Swan, Sr. // February 19, 2015 at 1:12 pm // Reply

When I held the Asst. Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster position in our Troop, I always told our boys that the only thing that could hold them back from Eagle was themselves. We planned our yearly program around getting Scouts to the First Class rank by using our monthly camp outs as a way to complete rank requirements. The older boys would teach the younger scouts the skills needed to complete these requirements. We would then have a game or activity to test the things they learned and the boys would complete requirements without even realizing that they had done so. Every boy that stayed in our troop until they were 18 earned their Eagle Scout, sometimes in spite of themselves. We were not an Eagle Mill, we encouraged and mentored our youth to become Eagles.

• “… earned their Eagle Scout, sometimes in spite of themselves.”

I am not one to throw around “mill.” But generally speaking that word applies when something is ground into something else in spite of itself.

I am proud to say that many boys stayed in our troop until 18. Not every boy who did earned an Eagle. They all had the opportunity. Some didn’t want to. Others wanted to but failed.

18. I see War & Conflicts a major issue in those years + low areas.
    First Thing i thought about. Back then at 17 you joined a service and went off to fight. Then it was 18 and drafted.
    But As An Army Brat & EAGLE MOM . i know where my dad & uncles & husband were. Not Eagles. Not in College. But ROTC + then in a War Zone.
    Goal for My Eagle = Honors College + “Eagle to FBI in 10 years “

19. Bryan, could you find more information on other awards? Like the Denali Award for Varsity Scouts, Quartermaster Award for Sea Scouts, Silver Award for Venturers (now Summit Award). I heard that the goal of the Summit Award was to equal or be better than the Eagle in 10 years. That being that it is as well known and as prestigious as the Eagle.

20. Wozzo the Wonder Dog // February 19, 2015 at 2:23 pm // Reply

In 2010 and 2012 there were special Eagle patches – gotta wonder if Scouts hurried up or slowed down in order to hit those years. If 500 Scouts did that, it would be a 1,000 Scout swing in the numbers. It may sound silly but I know of at least one in our troop who hustled to get it done at the end of 2012 for that reason.

• I say that’s a safe bet. There was a lot of push from boys of all ages (and their parents and leaders) to complete as much advancement as they could in 2010 to get the special 2010 rank advancement patches. And with 2012 being the Eagle centennial there was a big push to get those done then as well. Near the end of 2012 the district representatives who sat in on Eagle BOR’s here my way were booked solid and each getting scheduled to sit on EBOR’s almost daily…and sometimes more than one a day.

• Nice to hear that worked out in some part of the country. It wasn’t even a blip on our boys’ radars. In fact, our peak year was 2013! I wished at least a couple of those boys had hustled up. The summer was chock-full of courts of honor combined with grad parties!

21. There were new requirements for Eagle in 1972. Some older scouts had a grace period to get there Eagles done with the old requirements in 1973. In 1973 the 12 regions were reduced to 6 regions and 35 councils were also lost that year. Scouting reached it’s peck membership from 1971 to 1973 (6.4 million in 1971, 6.5 million in 1972 , and 6.4 million in 1973, 5.8 million in 1974, 5.3 million in 1975, 4.9 million in 1976, 4.7 million in 1977, 4.5 million in 1978, and 4.3 million in 1979). On 9/1/1994 Family Life became required so there were probably a surge of Eagle Scouts in the summer of 1994.

• “O 9/1/1994 Family Life became required ….”
      Please note that Family Life MB was a repackaging of the “Citizenship in the Home” MB that was part of the three required Citizenship MBs, and much earlier a single Civics MB. .

22. Was the 1975 – 1975 drop due to stopping Adults (over 18) fromgetting the Eagle Award ?

• Hi Carl, as of 1952, Eagle was for youth only. Some adults kept earning it anyway – and in 1965 youth leadership positions became required and so at that point, it was impossible for an adult to earn Eagle.

• [Somewhat off topic]
        At various time, the idea of a ” BALD EAGLE” award program, pops into my mind.
        It would be for Senior Citizens with achievements equivalent to the various youth Scout ranks and merit badges, with allowance for life experience and declining physical ability.
        As mentioned, Scout advancement was open to adult in the past, so this is not unprecedented in the history of Scouting.
        It would provide a second_chance for persons who did not complete their Scout program, for what ever reason, and for people who did not have the opportunity to experience Scouting in their youth.
        It would provide a challenge for Senior wanting to do more – more than sit around and play bingo.
        For Irvine HQ, it could provide a new source of membership ….. {$}
        Just some out-of-the-box thinking out-loud.

23. As an Eagle Scout and a AM I believe it’s much easier to attain the BA ‘ S highest rank today. When I got my Eagle rank in “65 there were zero merit badge camps. You really worked hard.

• Joshua Martin // February 19, 2015 at 8:06 pm // Reply

I’m in the Eagle Scout Class of 2010, There is no denying that it was much harder to obtain Eagle in the 60’s. But yet I see it great too for the BSA to have many Eagle Scouts coming back to be Scout Masters and hosting these Merit Badge Camps. I couldn’t have got my Eagle without the help of these former Eagle Scouts. The BSA is such a great organization with many former scouts and Eagle Scouts running it 🙂

• Thanks, Joshua. I never considered the effect that having eagle scouts return as adults and their contributions to helping the next generation in attaining eagle.

24. I strongly expect that there is a strong correlation between the increase in Eagle numbers (and %) and the increase in average age. There are a lot of competing demands and opportunities on today’s youth. I think the boys who choose Boy Scouts (over other activities) are more likely to be in it for the duration and have their eye set on Eagle from the get go. As a result, they stay in and those who stay in are more likely to make it to Eagle.

25. Oh, and thank you Bryan for providing these numbers.

26. What percentage of Scouts become Eagles?
    A couple years ago or so, I saw that BSA said their records show there had been just over 2 million Eagles (now it’s 2.3 million), and something over 100 million Scouts since 1910. That works out to less than 2% who earn Eagle.

27. I can’t figure out how the number of Eagles has risen so dramatically in the last 20 years…when the number of boys enrolling in scouting has dramatically fallen. Logically…fewer scout would result in fewer Eagles…not more.

The only logical explanation for it seems to be the loosing requirements…they are pretty much giving the Eagle award away.

• Having earned my bird 30 years ago, and seeing the boys in my troop earn it now, I’m sure it’s no easier. But, more boys and parents are focused on Eagle. When I was a kid, it was the SM, his assistant, three or four committee members (who we saw only on review nights, and only if we stayed later for reviews) and forty of us! In my sons’ troop every family fields at least one or two scouters (between parents and older siblings).

All those cheerleaders make a difference!

Fortunately our cheerleaders love our boys even when they aren’t making rank. I would encourage scouters everywhere to keep an eye out for boys who have no interest in advancement but otherwise would love the brotherhood of scouting. If you’re attracting those types, you’re succeeding.

28. Bryan, some of us noticed the patch on the right pocket in the picture with your article. It is from Camp Barton near Ithaca, NY in our Baden-Powell Council and were curious about who the Eagle was in the picture.

• Here is the source of the picture.

Don’t know if that gets you closer.

29. 17 year SM. veteran // February 20, 2015 at 2:19 pm // Reply

Bryan, I made Eagle in ’68 and the first Troop I Scoutmastered had very few Eagles, just the opposite of the second Troop I Scoutmastered. When parents get involved, the program tends to be more friendly toward advancement.

30. CARL MELVIN BENNETT // February 20, 2015 at 5:08 pm // Reply

“1949 9,058”. My brother and I were two of these 1949 Eagles. CMB. NESA LIFE MEMBER.

31. Someone earlier asked about eagle palms. I think that would be interesting data to explore.

I see three types of scouts:
    those who do not earn eagle
    those who earn eagle then leave scouting
    those who earn eagle and continue on in scouting.

Some earn eagle and are out because they cram it in before they turn 18, others leave because that is all they came for – I know its a broad brush statement and probably an over-generalisation, but how much scout spirit did they really have – they (or their parents) were after the award and the rest didn’t really matter?

I think the eagle scout wanting to stay invovled in scouting needs new challenges – the eagle palm process is not that challenging or stimulating. My son has three palms and is working on his 4th but more stimulus is needed. There are several other scouting awards and also many beyond but they could do with being more accessible to leaders and scouts and of course there are other awards such as the PVSA or the Duke of Edinburghs award or the congressional award that could stimulate a scout in a scouting setting. Also, not forgetting that the OA also offers an amazing opportunity for leadership.

Of course, as well as there being three types of scouts, there are only two types of readers of my comment:
    1. those who agree with me
    2. and those who dont 🙂

Bryan, I wonder if more of this data could be released to the community so we can do some analytics on it? Just a thought – crowd source the analysis and see what hypotheses the big community of scouters can come up with!!!

Keep up the great work.

32. Good conversation on why the increase in eagle scouts. While we all know that their are some parents who push their kids through at the cost of the boy not learning what scouts is supposed to teach. That could be said for school, sports and many other good endeavours. I personally believe that scouts is seeing an increase in eagles while experiencing a stall in total scouts enrolled has more to do with our new culture.
    Twenty years ago a large majority of boys started working to earn money around 16 where today less than 10% have regular jobs so you tend to see youngmen stick with scouting longer.
    Second I believe that by 12 years old if a boy has not chosen a sport or other hobby to focus on then it is almost to late to start. As recently as twenty years ago three and four sports for a youngman was common because they only played them during the given season. By 12 they have to dedicate year around to one and maybe two sports. This has two effects; the first depleting the pool of boys who participate in scouting and second the scouts who join do so for the long haul.
    That is my thoughts

33. many interesting comments here, good to have SOLID data including the nice bar graph.

I joined a local Troop in 1973; can’t answer nor explain the high data point that year.

Personally, I thought it was harder to earn the Eagle Scout Award in the 50’s, 60′, 70′ & 80’s. However, the numbers clearly show a trend:

a. as membership has decreased steadily from the membership highpoint of the early 1960’s, more Eagle Scout Awards have been earned.

b. the same applies the same way with fewer Troops in the same time period.

Therefore, something has occurred within the program and/or society, in general, to cause the noted INCREASE in Eagle Awards over the past 50 years. The BIG QUESTION is what?

How or Why too many Troops made “earning the Eagle Scout Award” their sole focus than the tangible assets of the outdoor program, community service, etc.?

Summer Camps are a symptom of this trend – they too are a business Unit of the BSA and have adapted to stay solvent and serving their customers.

I see too many Troops whose sole focus is producing, as an assembly-line, Eagle Scouts. Some of these Troops are so focused, non-interested Scouts drop out over the emphasis of “Everything Eagle”…

Does anyone want to have fun, go outdoors, enjoy the time with others these days..??

34. Mike Rossander // February 26, 2015 at 5:17 pm // Reply

While interesting, this would be a lot easier to read and interpret as a chart, especially if the percentage were plotted on a secondary axis of the same chart. I’d be happy to do that if you can post it.

35. It is great to know and see these numbers. Since 1912, the requirements and process for applying for the rank of Eagle Scout has also changed allot. What number I would also like to know is what the average age of a scout when he completed his Eagle Board of Review. I know from a BSA graphic, that shows the average age just over 14 years old in 1949, and now averages just over 17 years of age today. Is there data out there to plot this for each year since 1912?

36. James Alliston // April 25, 2015 at 9:54 am // Reply

I wonder what percent of eagles scouts have parents involved in scouting. It would be interesting to see if having a parent in the troop helps boys to become eagle scouts.
    For example: The amount of paperwork is massive to become an eagle scout. For example, having to send in all of your dates of merit badges earned on your eagle application. In my council, only people involved in the terop can access that info. Thus having a parent involved who can get those things for you is much easier than having to wait for someone from your troop to get them.
    I’m not trying to start a war here, I just think it would be an interesting statistic.

37. Adam Campbell, Jr. // July 6, 2015 at 1:54 pm // Reply

Any idea of the breakdown state by state? Year by year?

38. This is a great thread! My son is about to earn his Eagle. He will be the third generation in our family (his dad and both his grandfathers). Any stats on how often this might happen?

• wonderful Vanessa. it will be an immensely proud moment!

• Bryan Wendell // July 21, 2015 at 8:52 am // Reply

Whoa, that’s awesome! I don’t know about how often it happens, but it’s certainly rare.

39. Jerry Hoyle // July 24, 2015 at 4:38 pm // Reply

Scouting as changed drastically in the last several decades. The socio-economic level of our scouts is now mostly middle class or upper middle class. Today scouting has abandoned the lower classes. It was founded in the slums of London. In the US many poorer kids used to belong. Today it is too expensive and in many ways too demanding of parents for most lower class families.

I helped organize and worked with a Cub Scout program designed for poorer families. I worked in several capacities for 18 years as a Cub Scout leader. We paid the dues for many students, bought shirts (pants are too expensive, we only expected the boys to wear shirts), purchased books, provided pack tents, paid for summer day camp, picked up boys to take them to meetings, etc. We had a lot of success. 7 of our boys went on to earn their Eagle Scout award. None of our poorest boys earned it. Boy Scouts is not very inviting to the poor kids and families.

So, why is the percentage of boys earning their Eagles so high? I believe it is because most of the boys in Scouting are now from upper middle homes where the parents push their sons to achieve. Scouting is now closely identified with our shrinking mostly white middle class. This does not bode well for Scouting.

Jerry Hoyle

• Jerry, my feelings are mixed about Scouting having changed into an upper middle class (suburban) program.
      (1.) The view that there were substantial numbers of lower class and minority (“negro”) members in the 1920 and 30s is more of a rosie colored view of the past. Scouting has never been strong on Native American reservations or populations. The 1930 BSA effort to extend Scouting to rural youth never got very far and remains far behind 4H and FFA for a dwindling population.
      (2.) With upward mobility, today’s suburban upper middle class are the successful grandchildren of yesterdays urban lower middle class clerks and factory workers. They have fancy college educations to do modern versions of what sharp eight-grade graduates did as skilled workers, draftsmen, salesmen, clerks, school teachers & farmers did in a simpler world. They have nicer adult toys and bigger air-conditioned houses, but not that different economic status in inflated dollars (and consumer debt) than earlier generations. “Right side of the tracks” still means about the something, even if the community is much larger and the railway tracks have been pulled up years ago.
      (3.) Intact two-parent households is a major factor. Also regular church … attendance/membership/identification is also a factor in who are Scout families – again the word “family”. Again, considerable overlap with who-were-Scouts in the earlier generations and now a smaller part of the overall US population.
      (4.) Public support for Scouting, both at the local and national level (including favorable press) has evaporated. Ignoring Gay issues and their backers, it is fair to say that our national priorities have moved on and Scouting has been left out. Also, the multiplication of organized youth activities and the dominance of on organized competitive sports (e.g., try to find a ‘fishing’ page or article in the daily newspaper). .
      (5. – we agree) The cost of the program to the individual and family. This structural cost growth is frequently a problem when programs become institutionalized (including: layers of paid employees – Christ never met a payroll). BSA has reduced the quality of uniforms, shopped overseas, and tried to develop money generating programs. But, keeping cost down has not been big issue for national BSA attention and action. (for example, allowing units to adopt ‘uniforms’ that are not the Authorized version sold by BSA, online free merit badge booklets, …v. costly national Jamborees and High Adventure Bases). .

40. I would have earned eagle in 86 – 88. Our troop did what some of you suggest and reacted to the non-green bar bill program with an emphasis on outdoors to the exclusion of advancement. We do lots of high adventure ans OA stuff but no one pushed eagle. In fact it was discouraged as it was no longer worth what it once was. Fast forward to today and I get to give my “life for life” is my biggest regret story. Nope, not on my watch. If a boy is starting to Peter out I try to motive…does not always eork, but if you get to life you stay life only if you really want to.

41. C Vogel-Brown // September 6, 2015 at 7:47 pm // Reply

There are many boys who are worthy of the rank of Eagle and will earn the rank with or without helicopter parents. The problem is when you have scout leaders who are afraid to deny a boy the rank for fear of trouble from parents etc. I have seen too many boys who are bullies or are too immature to be Eagles. That ruins the significance of the Eagle rank for all.

42. Do you have any idea of the number of Eagles earned by youth under 18 prior to 1950? Adults were able to earn the rank alongside their sons for many years. Thank you!

43. I hate to say it, but it has become easier to become an Eagle Scout compared to when I was a scout in the 70s, it was a lot if hard work, with nothing laid out on a plate for you. If you wanted to be an Eagle back then, you had to really work hard finding counselor’s for merit badges and fulfilling the requirements. I am involved in scouting with my son and I still love the program, but merit badge fairs, and summer camp has my 12 year old star scout almost ready for life scout before his 13th Birthday, out if 50 kids in our troop we have 5 eagle Court of honors last year with a possibility if having more than that this year.

44. mark wendlinger // February 3, 2016 at 10:48 pm // Reply

I am going to agree exactly with Duane above. I was 1973 and you HAD to search down a merit badge counselor… The total year’s my troop ran… 1966 to 1991 there was probably 500 to 750 that came and went….. total number of Eagle scouts……7……… Far and few between.. And they made it hard on you…. I had to wait 1 extra year after total completion before I was awarded… Merit badges could not be earned till first class and THAT in itself made it more difficult…. The COMPUTER age probably more than anything has made it much easier.
    …But I cant help to think the same thing Duane says….. They are dishing it out Much much easier … Im sorry..but it’s true… .. I remember once going for Corn Farming…. I remember the poor guy was the ONLY one in the entire state and came to see me …. cause the corn fields could not come to him… Poor guy probably had to come half way across the state!!!

I loved it…. Never will forget it !!! Peace to all, ~Wingding~

45. John Kaletski // February 26, 2016 at 1:30 pm // Reply

What was the age of the youngest Eagle scout awarded and when did it happen?

46. In the state of Kentucky what troop holds the most Eagle Scouts

47. I’m going to join the conversation. The requirements are similar to those that I had to complete. I think many remember a harder time, I believe a motivated Scout can accomplish these tasks in a rapid time period. I was 12 and a half when I was awarded the Eagle badge way back in 1972. We had 24 merit badges and 18 months of leadership “position” and we had a service project, not built in a PMP deliverable like today but we had the same requirement to lead Scouts, improve our community and serve that community. I have three palms, am brotherhood OA, and several Scout of the quarter brass awards, been to several National Jamborees and served as staff on one. I cannot tell you how gratifying and important Scouting was to me. I am currently participating as a troop committee member and just completed a trek to Philmont. I didn’t have sons, just daughters, so I will be handing my Eagle pin to the son of my closest friend this weekend.