You earned Eagle, now make sure you’re in the 2015 Eagle Scout Directory

Eagle-Scout-DirectoryThis blog and the pages of Eagles’ Call magazine are filled with stories of Eagle Scouts who have gone on to do great things.

And that’s just the ones we know about.

Another 500,000 Eagle Scouts have dropped off of Scouting’s radar since earning Scouting’s highest rank at some point in the award’s 102-year history.

To that end, the National Eagle Scout Association is gathering information for its 2015 Eagle Scout Directory, and NESA wants to ensure that you or any Eagle Scouts you know are included. That means all Eagles, whether they earned the award in 1958, 1978 or 2008.

Watch your mail in the coming months to make sure you don’t miss out.

The last Eagle Scout Directory project was conducted in 2008, and just like most university alumni associations conduct regular directory updates, NESA is ready to refresh its information about its accomplished alumni.

This info won’t be sold to anyone but will be shared with local councils to help them stay in contact with Eagle Scouts who have moved into their council’s borders.

It’s a proven tool. Information from the 2008 directory helped councils re-establish contact with Eagle Scouts and led to additional support and volunteers.

So will information about you be included without your consent?

Of course not. You decide how much or how little data is actually printed about you; it’s your choice. The company producing the directory is contractually forbidden from selling or exploiting your information.

When will Eagle Scouts be contacted?

Eagle Scouts will get an email, postcard or call in the coming months. It may be as early as this month (April 2014), or it may not be until August 2014. It depends on your region.

The company contacting you is PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts), a Dallas-based agency that NESA has selected to publish its directory.

PCI publishes directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities and military organizations across the nation. They’re also the folks behind the Eagle Scout Yearbook I blogged about earlier.

Keep in mind the yearbook and directory are separate projects. The Eagle Scout Yearbook is a new, annual publication that highlights young men who earned Eagle in the past year. The Eagle Scout Directory, on the other hand, will include the names of everyone who has ever earned Eagle, sorted by region.

If you or a fellow Eagle Scout has moved or fallen out of contact with Scouting, it’s possible you won’t hear from PCI. If that’s the case and you aren’t contacted, click here to learn how you can contact PCI yourself.

When will the directory be published?

Because there are so many awesome Eagle Scouts out there, the directory is being split into four regional editions.

The first of those is expected to ship in April 2015.

Four reasons why you should participate

Chicago volunteer Todd Plotner is a former NESA chairman and currently sits on the National NESA Committee. He calls the 2015 Eagle Scout Directory “an invaluable resource for Scouts, Scouters and the Boy Scouts of America.”

“Whether or not you purchase a directory,” Plotner says, “updating your contact information with PCI allows other Scouts and Scouters to contact you and for Scouting to stay in touch with you. Of course, you can share as much or as little information through the directory as you’d like.”

Plotner offers four compelling reasons why you should be a part of the directory:

1. The information collected is valuable to local councils as they use available resources to best serve youth through Scouting.
  2. The directory allows efficient networking with other Eagle Scouts — both for students and for those farther along in their careers.
  3. The directory is a permanent record of each Eagle Scout’s achievements.
  4. Proceeds from directory sales benefit NESA’s robust scholarship fund.

Speaking of, it’s projects like this one that have helped the fund grow almost every year. Take a look:

nesa-scholarships

Vote for your favorite cover

NESA is asking Eagle Scouts to choose which potential cover for the 2015 Eagle Scout Directory they like best. You can check ‘em out below, but you’ll need to respond to a card or email sent from PCI to cast your vote. So be on the lookout!

NESA_CoverOption_D NESA_CoverOption_C NESA_CoverOption_B NESA_CoverOption_A

Still have questions?

Find FAQs about the directory at this site.

21 Comments on You earned Eagle, now make sure you’re in the 2015 Eagle Scout Directory

1. Questions: All my contact info has changed. (I’ve moved once since the publication of the 2008 edition and will move shortly again.) Who should I contact? Also, will the CD-ROM version be Mac and PC friendly?

2. Kelly Horton // April 25, 2014 at 6:03 pm // Reply

The last time I provided my personal information which included “I do not want a copy of the book!” the NESA charged me $100. I sent the book back and the bill still kept being mailed to me. After a few months, I was told I was being sent to a collection agency. My credit score is around 800. So if you think I am going to go through this again? Forget about asking for any donations either.
    I know of one person in my district that paid the $100 but never received his copy and when he looked at the book, his name wasn’t even in it. His brother did not order the book, was not charged for it, received it anyway and his personal information was included.
    The NESA needs to get its act together.

• Jon Graska // April 29, 2014 at 7:37 am // Reply

This sounds similar to my experience. The company who was handling this was a joke. They could screw up a one-man parade! The BSA and NESA should either get it right or get out of this project, it does not do anything positive for the image of the BSA. They mixed my information with that of my son’s and could not get it right even after I contacted them. Then they expected me to buy a copy of all this incorrect data. I have seen a copy of the book and it stinks.

• Matt Nieberger // December 17, 2014 at 1:02 pm // Reply

Similar for myself (1983) and my son (2012). I gave them ALL our info, paid the $100, but neither one of us are in the book. WON’T GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN!!!!

3. I think that last time I finally got these people to correct my entry or should I say “entries”. I was in the book twice, with the same Eagle date, 1200 miles apart. Only thru extraordinary effort was I able to get my entry corrected.
    At that, I got to look at the first computer list – only 3 of the 5 from my boyhood troops were there, but also another boy who did not make eagle….. My current troop had father and son mixed as 1 entry.
    And as for the computer edition – talk about crappy presentation and storage…..It set a record in that respect. I mean really – Access 95 in 2008?
    I think the only reason they did not just auto charge me and send a book is that I refused to give them my credit card number.
    As far as I can tell – just say no.

4. Abigail Bedford // April 28, 2014 at 6:01 pm // Reply

This sounds very similar to Who’s Who in American High School Students….a way to make money, nothing more. I thought BSA was better than that.

• I got ripped off by Who’s who…not exposing my son too this mess

5. David Lawrence // April 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm // Reply

How do I know if I’m included in the directory? I am eight Eagle Scout from Troup 788 in upper Falls Maryland I received my Eagle Scout in 1983 please contact me and tell me how I can tell if I’m included in the directory thank you

6. Fernando acosta // April 28, 2014 at 7:15 pm // Reply

A wonderful experience I am from Honduras we also have the same award but it is called Scout Lempira

7. Daniel Joseph Durant // April 28, 2014 at 10:32 pm // Reply

Hope to see my name appear:)

8. I earned eagle scout in 2003 with Souderton, PA troop 461. I would think being listed in a directory for making eagle scout would be free and a way to honor all eagle scouts. Being charged for something like this is yet another fine example of why scouting has a bad reputation anymore and the numbers are becoming far fewer every day. I am still an assistant scout master with my troop and have also helped in the creation of our sister ship, sea scout nautilus 461 of Souderton PA.

• Summit Scouter // July 23, 2014 at 8:58 am // Reply

It is free to be listed in the directory. However, they aren’t giving the books away for free.

9. Mike Clark // April 30, 2014 at 1:44 pm // Reply

Why the need for another directory when one was compiled yet a couple years ago??

Also, does NESA &/or BSA have updated information on ALL EAGLE RECIPIENTS?

I would not be nice to publish any name who is now deceased, someone who has separated himself from “pocketing” the proceeds beyond the basic costs….

10. So how do they get contact info on folks?
    My date to Eagle was September 1969 in Colorado. The next Spring we moved to Oregon. The Summer after that we in Panama. My last involvement with BSA was an Explorer Post in the Canal Zone in 1974.
    This Air Force Brat later spent 0ver 32 years in the Army. I am sure they have no idea that I even exist at this point, much less where or how to find me.
    And I am sure there are many like me, and some who have moved even more than I have.

11. Is there a special section for the gay Eagle scouts being disowned by the BSA?

12. James Murphy // May 4, 2014 at 10:58 am // Reply

I’m an Eagle Scout and also the former National President of my college fraternity. We used PCI for our National Alumni Directory that was supposed to be published in 2012 but took 18 MONTHS to complete because of the total incompetency of PCI. Their computer input programs are TOTALLY incompatible with anything a non-publishing entity, such as the BSA or a fraternity’s National Headquarters would use. This caused total chaos in getting information exchanged between us and the publisher. By the time the Directory was finally published a lot of information was out of date!!! I would STRONGLY suggest finding another publisher such as Harris who has done our directories in the past as well as those of my college Alumni Association. They do a fantastic job. Timely, accurate and professional!! We are going back to them in the future. PCI made all kinds of promises and never followed through. They are a disgrace. This is far too important a project to entrust to them.

13. Paul Knudsen // June 27, 2014 at 4:25 pm // Reply

NESA and BSA brand are tarnished by the McGraw Hill company.

“Attention to Detail” is not McGraw-Hill’s mantra. Over two editions they still can’t get multiple data items accurate “Do It Right The First Time” to include my state, Troop # and address.

I’ve paid for two editions and I won’t be buying a third. Frankly, I think they owe me a free edition.

Paul Knudsen

14. do you need to apply for anything or write something? does it apply to every eagle?

15. John Scot Fortner // September 23, 2014 at 6:32 pm // Reply

It has been a long time since I received this honor ,I’ am 59 years old and still have the box it came in and am honored to have it. I think only two of use received it in troop #7 in Riverside Ca. As all of use did, I work hard for it (with my dad pushing me to achieve it)

16. Frank D. Kuirkowitz // November 6, 2014 at 1:49 am // Reply

I am 82 years old, made Eagle Scout in 1949 as a Lone Scout in the Great Smoky Mountain Council. I was practically homeless at the time. 1949 was a turning point in my life, I had joined the US Naval Reserve to begin what was a very long Naval career. My parents were both extreme alcoholics and I was never provided A “Happy Home” as such. It was through the leadership of Scoutmaster Carl Niles that I succeeded in not being interred in prison. I later became completely homeless at age 18 and joined the US Navy for a long career of 30 plus years. I am proud to be a part of the BSA.

17. DONALD HINNANT,PH.D. // November 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm // Reply

I received a postcard , “please call immediately!” ? so on this site I’m not reading positive things. I have never been contacted by the BSA since I became Eagle in 1964 at age 14. Donald W. Hinnant, PH.D. Asheville,NC.