Which side does the American flag go on when marching or at ceremonies?

The American flag isn’t rare, and it’s not made of precious materials. You can buy a nice one for $10.

But still we treat it with reverence and care normally reserved for historic artifacts or priceless works of art. We make sure it’s properly displayed, we fold it neatly and we never let it touch the ground.

Why? Because while its materials are cheap, what it represents is not. The flag’s more than a flag. It’s a symbol of our country’s ideals. It’s a rallying cry for patriotism. It’s a reminder of the extraordinary sacrifice of the men and women who fought and died to protect the flag and the people who pledge their allegiance to it.

So, yeah, it deserves to be treated well.

Scouts and Scouters know that. We’re some of the most patriotic people you’ll find. We wear the American flag on our uniforms, and “duty to country” is in our Scout Oath.

It’s this reputation for patriotism that explains why packs, troops, teams, posts, ships and crews are often asked to serve as the color guard at community events. Making sure we respect the flag’s traditions is our obligation.

That’s why JayR Seymour with Pack 24 from Bradford, Mass., contacted me. His pack was asked to serve on the color guard for a Harlem Globetrotters game in a week or so. Here’s what he wrote:

In the next couple of weeks my Webelos den and a few of the Boy Scouts have the opportunity to present the colors at a Harlem Globetrotters game for the national anthem. I think this is a great experience for the boys and wanted to make sure that we are presenting the flags in the correct positioning.

Can you please tell me what is the correct positioning for marching the flags out onto the basketball court for the national anthem?

We are marching the U.S. flag, Mass. state flag, Troop 24 Flag and Pack 24 Flag. I have read some information and it looked like from the information and photos, the U.S. flag should be on the far right (as we march), and should always remain on he right. So when we turn to retire the flags, the Scouts do not just do an about-face, but need to pinwheel so the U.S. flag stays on the right.

Guard/ Pack 24 Flag/ Troop 24 Flag/ MA State Flag/ U.S. Flag/ Guard

I want to make sure what I teach the boys the correct method and do not want to show any disrespect to the men and women in the armed forces who may be in the audience.

You input would be much appreciated.

Well, JayR, merely asking the question means you’re respecting our nation’s military. You’re already ahead of the game because you cared enough to ask. And it seems like you interpret the rules the same way I do. The flag should always be on the color guard’s right when marching it in a line with another flag or flags.

For the source, I’ll direct you to Title 4 of the United States Code, Chapter 1,§ 7 – Position and manner of display. It reads:

The flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag’s own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line

Once you’re done marching, I agree that you would pinwheel the flags so that the flag remains on the guard’s right, or the audience’s left. That aligns with paragraph k of that same code:

Speaking of, I got this question from Scouter Jon Uzel:

My son recently passed from Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts, to the troop I myself spent most of Scouts in. One of the first things I noticed in the meeting is the fact they have the flags opposite of how we posted them for years. Now I do not want to be “that guy” who shows up and starts “correcting” everything, but I can’t help but wonder if it’s wrong now, or if we had it wrong all those years ago. Can you shed some light on that?

• Old: American Flag on audience right (SPL’s left)
  • Current: American Flag on audience left (SPL’s right)

Again, in a public auditorium, the flag should be to the speaker’s right, or the audience’s left as they look at the speaker. I would think most Scout meeting rooms and ceremony locations would have a spot for a speaker/leader, so this would apply in pretty much every occasion. So it seems like the “current” way you list above is correct.

Some confusion might exist because at one point some protocol did call for the flag being on the audience’s left. That’s no longer the case, as this post from the National Flag Foundation explains:

Right is right

Just remember, whether marching or setting up an auditorium, right is right — to the color guard’s right and to the speaker’s right.

Hope that clears it up. If anyone has additional insight on flag etiquette, please share it below.

Photo from Flickr:  Some rights reserved by D.Clow – Maryland

34 Comments on Which side does the American flag go on when marching or at ceremonies?

1. James Hendren // March 14, 2014 at 3:05 pm // Reply

Actually, the flag relative to the speaker is a little harder than that. The easy rule is to the right of the “owner” of the flag. If the flag is up with the speaker of behind the plane of the speaker it should be on his right. If it is equal or behind the front row of the audience, it is the audience’s flag and goes to the right of the audience. So, the answer was correct as long as the flag is in front of front row of the audience.

• James, I’m willing to admit I misunderstood the flag code, but where does it ever say the right of the audience is ever correct?

• Old guidelines had a distinction whether the flag was at the level of the speaker on a stage or the level of the audience. That distinction has been eliminated and the rule simplified.

For example, here’s a quote from a web page I found :

In some occasions the flags are displayed OFF the platform and in FRONT OF the speaker (making them a part of the audience). In such situations, the position of the U.S. Colors has occasionally been reversed with the National Flag placed to the audience’s right. The practice has fallen to general disuse, and such reversal of placement was a matter of custom not specified in the FLAG CODE. Should you see such a display, it is NOT necessarily erroneous.

2. Margee Egan // March 14, 2014 at 3:06 pm // Reply

I learned that the flag was always on the right — the flag’s own right.
    The problem arises in churchs: If the cross or altar is in the far end of the church and the flags are places on the floor in front of the congregation, facing the altar, it is on the right side of the congregation (facing the altar/cross/etc.)

If the altar is in the center of the congregation, again the flag would face the altar so it would appear on the left of the congregation.

Is that correct?

3. I think your answer is a bit incorrect as I don’t see whet you referenced in paragraph.K.

Here’s the COMPLETE reference from paragraph k:

“When used on a speaker’s platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker. When displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium, the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence, in advance of the audience, and in the position of honor at the clergyman’s or speaker’s right as he faces the audience. Any other flag so displayed should be placed on the left of the clergyman or speaker or to the right of the audience. ”

The question is “what is considered a ‘speaker’s platform'”? This question has come up in my district more than once.

I have over 25 years background preparing stages for various events. To the stage crew, when someone says “platform”, that means a raised platform. So the interpretation could mean if there is a raised platform, the flag goes to the speaker’s/podium’s right on that raised platform. If there is no raised platform, then the flag would properly be placed in the front of the audience on the audience’s right as you face the front of the room.

• That’s not how I interpret it. I think you’re connecting the first and second sentences but I see them as distinct thoughts.

There’s a point about a speaker’s platform and displaying it flat. Then a separate point about displaying it on a staff in a church or public auditorium. You can tell they’re distinct thoughts because it specifies “church or public auditorium.” If they meant speaker’s platform with flags on staffs, they wouldn’t have said “church or public auditorium.”

All that said, I could be wrong. It’s happened quite a lot!

But I still don’t see anywhere in the flag code it says the audience’s right is correct. The only time it mentions the words “audience’s right” is about “any other flag.” In other words, a state flag or a Scout flag would go on the audience’s right.

Am I understanding it, um, right?

• Interesting. I stand partially corrected.

If you look at “Your Flag” issued by the BSA (33188 2009 printing), on page 47 figure 4 allows placing the flag on the audience’s right or on the speaker’s right.

• I’m going to track down a copy of that, as I confess I’m just now hearing of this publication.

• H. Gilson // March 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm //

Again the term is right is right. The diagram that you are looking at shows the flags being displayed from two different prospectives. The Speakers prospective – the flag is to the right of the speaker. Then the other is from the audience’s prospective (then the flag is to the right of the audience). From “Your Flag” issued by the BSA (33188 2011 Printing)

• This line from the National Flag Foundation seems to support my interpretation:

“Years ago there was a practice (generally in churches) of placing the flag to the left of the speaker, or to the right of the audience, if the flag was on the floor in front of the speaker and between the speaker and the audience. This practice is no longer proper protocol. The flag should be to the left of the audience, defined by the greatest number of people observing it.”

Edit: I added this to my post above.

4. Lou Leopold // March 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm // Reply

There is an excellent resource available through http://scoutstuff.org, entitled “Your Flag” which contains “Everything you want to know about the flag of the United States of America.” Your local Scout Shop may have it available or you can order it on-line.

I’ve used it for both the pack and troop with with I am affiliated when instructing or providing materials for flag etiquette. It works well in conjunction with working with the boys on their citizenship requirements.

Hope this helps.

• Good addition, Lou. Thanks!

5. Some of the information above can be found in the Bear handbook, Boy Scout handbook and a few other basic manuals. The BSA also publishes a book ‘Your Flag, Everything you Want to Know About the Flag of the United State of America’ (33188A) that explains flag protocol including color guards and placement in auditoriums.

6. Just to add one thought that is not a factor in the case of the Globetrotters game.

If your color guard is bringing the flags in and then placing them into flag stands on the podium or at the front of the room, the Scouts carrying the flags will typically be required at some point to cross paths to get to the correct positions. When that happens, the Scout bearing the American Flag should cross IN FRONT OF (CLOSER to the audience) any or all of the other flag bearers.

It is also quite appropriate to “dip” the other flags as they pass by the American Flag as a sign of respect. However, don’t dip flags of other nations. And if flags of more than one nation are present, they should all be of equal size and on flagpoles of equal height. (They deserve respect, too.)

• These are good reminders. Thanks!

7. Tell Jon Uzel that the rules (apparently) changed; the flag would change sides if it were on the floor or on a platform. (audience’s right, speaker’s right, respectively.)

So perhaps the Troop adjusted to the change in etiquette.

8. I had some Girl Scouts call me a couple of years ago in a panic…”what do we do if the Flag touches the ground!!!”. I simply told them to “pick it up”. They wanted to kiss it 100 times…I like that idea as well. Before you get all upset…I only share this story as it is cute. I love the Girl Scouts…I am the proud father of a Gold Award GS.
    As a 20 year Navy Veteran, I feel that as long as you are respecting the Flag, all is good. Do your best to display it properly and care for it.
    One tool I have used to teach Scouts how to properly display the US Flag is their own heart. If the Flag is displayed on a stage with other flags; or is coming at you in a parade with other flags, or is hanging on a wall…your heart will tell you if it is displayed properly.
    Place your hand over your heart like you do when you do the Pledge…that is the side the Flag should be displayed on as you are lookig at it from the audience. If it hung on a wall…that is the side the Field of Stars should be on.
    Even the youngest Scout gets this.
    Thank you all for taking care of our Nation’s Flag. When deployed overseas, there was nothing better than turning the corner and seeing the Red, White, and Blue…my home…no matter where I laid my seabag, that Flag was flying above my home.
    Blessings to all.
    US Navy 1979-1999
    Scoutmaster T727

9. Another important part as I understand it is when the colors are retired. The scouts are to salute the flag and are to remain looking at where the flag was. They are not to turn their heads and watch it go away.
    Is this indeed correct?
    Does someone have a reference link to this part?

10. My 1973 copy of the BSA “Your Flag” book has an excellent diagram (page 49) showing the flag positions relative to audience and speaker, and there most definitely were arrangements where the US flag went on the right of the audience. Has this really changed? Guess I’d better buy a current copy and check.

• Appears to be the same diagram!

• I asked this at a recent training and was told by the trainer from the American Legion that yes, it has changed. I haven’t, however, had the chance nor the inclination to track down this change and confirm it.

11. For Many years I have studied the history and development of the flag and the Flag Code, but I have had a question that I have never been able to get an answer to that I could reference or document.

Title 4, Paragraph 7, Section (m) of the Flag Code states the following, “On Memorial Day, the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a state, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory.”

So here is the question, what is the proper way to display a flag on a pole in a building or a parade that is supposed to be at half mast? For instance a flag that is being carried in a Memorial Day parade before noon.

Over the years I have received many answers, but I have not been able to verify or document them. However, the most common answer I have received is that you should take a black ribbon and tie it in a bow on top of the flag staff and let the ends hang half way down the flag to signify mourning.

Does anyone out there have an answer that I can reference or document?

Trying to “Live the Oath”
    Bill

• That is correct. You add a black ribbon to the top of the pole. The length of the ribbon is equal to the height of the flag. I’ve seen bows and I’ve seen strips of ribbon used, but I’m not sure if it matters (anyone know?). My Girl Scout Flag Unit has only had to do this once and, I’m sure, no one but me knew that you were supposed to do this.

12. Bill Nelson // March 14, 2014 at 5:16 pm // Reply

The GPO has a guide available online:

• That printing (2003) may have outdated information as it references Title 36 US Code. The flag code is now part of Title 4 US Code. Not sure if when it was moved the flag code was changed or not.

13. Stephen white // March 14, 2014 at 7:03 pm // Reply

On the marching right

14. Here’s one that will get everyone riled up: what about carrying a huge flag (like 20 x 40+) horizontally in a parade. We do it every year in our Independence Parade. I’ve heard all of the arguments. I’m sure some of you will side the Flag Code that says not to, but I have a response to that. Anyway, let me know what you think.

15. Jim Kangas // March 15, 2014 at 8:03 am // Reply

May I remind everyone also that the US Flag Code is a set of guidelines and not enforceable ordinance? Mikemenn asked about carrying a large flag horizontally; under the Flag Code this is not permitted, but yet at many public events we see the practice commonly carried out, including the Olympics, at football games, and even at the observances following September 11, 2001. There are exceptions to every rule, as they say. How would you have people carry an 800 square foot flag vertically? The weight alone makes it physically impossible unless you’re Clark Kent.

The American Legion and the VFW are very good sources of information when it comes to getting immediate answers to questions regarding the US Flag, and just love to talk about flag etiquette, especially with young people.

I am more upset with the attitude of the public in general when it comes to the passing of the flag. I have literally seen people sitting on the ground with a beer in their hand as the flag passed in a parade; as the flag passed, they raised the beer hand in a Hitler-like salute and took a swig. That makes the minor errors in presenting or carrying the flag trivial by comparison — it is down right disrespectful, not only to the flag, but to the Scouts and especially the many military veterans they were marching with.

16. Laura Mueller // March 15, 2014 at 11:36 am // Reply

I have always understood that one should stand and place their hand over their heart when the flag is in motion (those not in uniform). Whenever our flags are brought in or out of the room during our scout meeting, I do not see many adults doing that. Also, the scouts do not salute until after the flag is posted. I was thinking they should be saluting as the flag is in motion, coming into the room?

• The Scouts that salute after the flags are posted are the Scouts in the Colorguard. Everyone else should have been called to attention/stand/salute/hand over heart prior to the entrance of the flag. The Scouts in the Honor Guard do not participate in the Pledge as they are “guarding” the colors. After they are posted is the Scout’s opportunity to respect the flag(s).

17. The U S FLAG is always on it’s RIGHT, that is: there is no flag to it’s RIGHT,
    EXCEPT when flags of other nations are flown they are all equal, we usually place the ‘Stars & Stripes’ in the center OR right.
    ‘it’s’ Right is determined by the direction those carrying the flag are facing, or moving
    (They NEVER move backward!).
    The U S Flag never goes behind other flags, when crossing the other flags go behind it.
    I like the term ( used above) “who owns” the flag – it is to the owners right.
    When the flag is on a podium (you stand ON a podium & BEHIND a lecturn), it is owned by those at the lecturn and therefore on their RIGHT.
    When the flag is with (owned by) the audience it is on their RIGHT – it should be clearly in one or the other place. Don’t speak of the flag being on the LEFT of anyone, always on the Flag/Color Bearers right. (You carry on your right or centered in a halter) with your right hand above your left.
    Other flags may be dipped when saluting or the national anthem is sung/played.
    By the way ALL salute During the anthem, military & veterans & ‘uniformed’ (police, firemen, scouts etc,) salute (right HAND to FOREHEAD), civilians: right hand over heart (maybe hat in hand). THANK YOU!

When moving it should always be at full staff and RIGHT OF, or in FRONT, CENTER
    of others.

18. Buss Price // March 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm // Reply

If you are wearing your uniform, look at your shoulder patch. The flag is always on your right

19. Bill Jameson // August 15, 2014 at 3:22 pm // Reply

It has become common place to see a large American flag carried flat by scouts in a parade, yet the United States Flag Code states in Section 8 (Respect For Flag) that “The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free”. How does one reconcile this practice with proper flag etiquette? Are scouts today taught to disregard the U.S. Flag Code?

20. The flag of the United States of America is subordinate to nothing; it’s relative positioning is one of rank superiority (subordinate is to the left and two paces back… from the military perspective). Any positioning that doesn’t reflect this concept is incorrect.