What you need to know if you’re visiting the 2013 national jamboree

2013jamboreelogo-200x326(Updated, May 13) First, you can give up your seat on the sidelines and get into the game.

Paying visitors this summer can sample some of the same high-adrenaline activities that the Scouts experience.

At past jamborees, a lot of the fun stuff — BMX, climbing, shooting sports — was off-limits to visitors. Not this time. But just like an amusement park, all that fun comes at a cost.

So brush up now on the 2013 National Scout Jamboree Visitor Policy

How to buy

On May 13, the passes went on sale. Click here to learn more.

Location

Jamboree visitors will park in the designated visitor parking area and be transported by motor coach to the Summit Center. Visitors are only allowed to explore the Summit Center; they aren’t permitted elsewhere on the jamboree site.

But the Summit Shakedown, which I wrote about last year, took place in the Summit Center. So I can tell you there’s more than enough to keep you busy there. (See “Activities,” below.)

Hours

Visitors must return to the visitor parking area once visiting hours are over for the day.

Visiting hours:

• Monday, July 15: Closed to visitors
  • Tuesday, July 16: Closed to visitors
  • Wednesday, July 17: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Thursday, July 18: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Friday, July 19: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Saturday, July 20: Noon to end of closing show
  • Sunday, July 21: Noon to 8 p.m.
  • Monday, July 22: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Tuesday, July 23: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Wednesday, July 24: Closed to visitors

Activities

What’s there to do? Lots.

• Exhibits
  • Main jamboree retail store
  • Retail food items
  • Brownsea Island
  • Boulder Cove
  • Challenger Course
  • Canopy Tour
  • Skateboard Plaza
  • Mountain Biking
  • Shooting Sports
  • Climbing
  • BMX
  • And more!

SHOWs

The opening show on the morning of July 16 is for participants and staff only.

The closing show on the evening of July 20 with Zambelli fireworks and lots more fun is open to visitors. The fee on the show day is a little higher (see “Fees,” below).

Security

As jamboree visitors prepare to board the motor coach en route to the Summit Center, screening — which may include checks of bags and walk-through metal detectors — will be conducted.

Youth Protection

All visitors will be shown a short, all-ages Youth Protection video on their bus ride between visitor parking and the Summit Center.

Fees

• One-day pass, specific date (non-show day): Adults, $35; youth (6-10), $25
  • One-day pass, any one day (non-show day): Adults, $40; youth (6-10), $30
  • Two-day pass, any two days (non-show): Adults, $50; youth (6-10), $40
  • Three-day pass, any three days (non-show): Adults, $60; youth (6-10), $50
  • All-day pass, all visitor days (includes show day): Adults $125; youth (6-10), $95
  • One-day pass, show day: Adults, $50; youth (6-10), $40

Note:

• Free admission for kids under age 6
  • Scouts/Venturers in full uniform will receive a coupon for a Trading Post discount (10 % off a single purchase up to $40)

Photo by W. Garth Dowling/BSA

29 Comments on What you need to know if you’re visiting the 2013 national jamboree

1. So if I’m reading this correctly then visitors will be able to do Jamboree activities after the Jamboree is over?

• Good question, Patrick. The answer is no. Though the “closing show” is on July 20, the last day of the jamboree is July 24.

2. When I went to the last NJ, I was able to visit friends and fellow Scouts and Scouters at the campsites. Now they’re saying I can’t do that anymore. I’m an Eagle Scout and Arrowman, currently a Commissioner, and they’re going to treat me like a tourist. Not my idea of a class act.

• Bob Basement // April 3, 2013 at 7:34 am // Reply

Oh Dave your a funny man. What makes you so special???? You have forgotten those who you serve. the jamboree isn’t about you and your good old boys club from your home council, but the boys you serve….

I was one of the scouts who didn’t get to participate in my scheduled activities because day visitors were partaking in my scheduled event…..Happened often enough that my patrol quit going to them when they were scheduled and showed up first thing in the morning.

I think it is perfectly fine they are limiting visitors to summit center…..Might control some of the theft we saw at the last jamboree, but I doubt it.

• Sorry Dave, but i dont think everyone should be able to wonder everwhere, no matter how much of a super scout you are. If Parents, etc were allowed to wonder all over the place, campsites, etc it would end up being a distraction from the goal of the Jamboree.. for the kids to get away from home for 10 days and enjoy scouting at its finest

3. Will you have to buy passes in advance, or will they be available on the day? And where is the nearest General Aviation airport? I’d like to fly down for a day, but I’m strictly a fair-weather pilot, so I can’t predict when I might be able to go.

• Mike, I believe they’ll be available in advance. Because you wouldn’t know which day you could go, I’d recommend the “any day” pass, which is $5 more. As for airports, I can’t help you there. See ya at the Summit!

• Mike Brown // March 1, 2013 at 12:38 pm // Reply

In case any other pilots are thinking of flying down, the nearest airport is Raleigh County Memorial in Beckley, West Virginia – identifier KBKW. Their website even says, “Proudly serving the Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, Raleigh County Memorial Airport will offer the closest air service to the future Boy Scouts of America High Adventure Base.”

4. So even if I am not attending the jamboree itself, if I visit, and ride the bus in full uniform, I can get a discount of 10% at the trading post?

5. Wow, lots can change in 11 months. I was at a Univ. of Scouting last March where the CEO of the Jamboree spoke and said there would be no fee for visitors but they would not be allowed in the village areas where the scouts are and would not be able to take part in the high adventure activities (BMX, Zip Line….)

6. Tim Mcfarland // February 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm // Reply

I find it interesting that the youth prices are for children 6-10 years of age. Yet the boy scouts who are labeled youth by the BSA program will be asked to pay an adult price.
    What message are they sending us? I would think that a better method would have been to use the BSA guidelines for their established programs. Just a thought.

7. It would a shame if this is going to lengthen already long lines and wait times for the ones this is really all about, our scouts.

• It will not lengthen wait times for Scouts. These are separate activity areas built specifically for visitors. The Scouts have their own activity areas in a section of the site that’s off-limits to visitors.

• So where are the visitors Camping or being housed? or are they on their own?

• Visitors are on their own. They have to stay at a hotel or campground in a nearby town.

8. This seems like it will cheapen the experience for the scouts. They are earning/ paying a lot of money for this Jamboree (850$ just for entry), and now a visitor can get a 6 day pass for 125$? And like Wade said, this will lengthen the lines for the activities for the “full fare” scouts.

• Hardly cheapened, Brian. Visitors will get a nice taste of the jamboree, but they’ll hardly get the full jamboree experience that Scouts, registered adults, and staff will get.

• Visitors are limited to a very small area and can’t get to the main Jamboree area.

9. Like any event the National Jamboree will have cost and expenses to pay. My first comment is that the Jamboree is for the Scouts to come together at a National level and meet other scouts and share one of the important campouts in their lives. They pay out lot of money to share this experiance. I was so glad to hear that we now have a permanent home to host the Jamboree. The last 2010 Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill was restrictive and we had to abide by the Military protacol with to many Military personal always hanging around the events. The cost to non participants is really very small compared to the expense that participants pay out. This is the first Jamboree at the Summit and we should be patient and withhold judgement till the Jamboree is completed and see what changes need to be evaluated. Sincerely, Trenton Spears

10. Jeff Knoll // March 6, 2013 at 8:41 pm // Reply

Earlier supplied info showed the closing show on Sunday along with “Scouting Extravagana” (1-8PM) and “Subcamps open to Public” (1-6PM). Have these latter two events also been moved to Saturday, or eliminated completely?

11. Brian Kindron // March 20, 2013 at 7:32 pm // Reply

Bryan- have two sons that are Cub Scouts and are very excited to come and visit the Jamboree at the Summit. My oldest (10) and I visited the last one for 2010 and he loved it. We even marched in the Centennial Parade. My question to you is, as Cub Scouts, will they be able to do some of the activities that designated for visitors?

12. My 2 sons and husband are attending the Jamboree. As a visitor, will I be able to meet up with them if I cannot go into the main area?

• They’ll be able to come see you in the summit center, where there will be several great activities for all ages.

13. OK, I realize I am late to the party here. Anyone heard of a good place to stay while visiting? Totally willing to camp, primitive, etc…

14. Melanie S. // June 8, 2013 at 2:48 pm // Reply

Can someone tell me what is involved in these 2013 activities at SBR:

Brownsea Island
    Boulder Cove

And who will be presenting at the “Exhibits”

Thanks!

15. Melanie S. // June 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm // Reply

Ok I am confused – do the Jambo participants have to pay to get into the shows/fireworks?

from blog:
    SHOWS
    The opening show on the morning of July 16 is for participants and staff only.

The closing show on the evening of July 20 with Zambelli fireworks and lots more fun is open to visitors. The fee on the show day is a little higher (see “Fees,” below).

FEES
    One-day pass, specific date (non-show day): Adults, $35; youth (6-10), $25……………One-day pass, show day: Adults, $50; youth (6-10), $40

Note:
    Free admission for kids under age 6
    Scouts/Venturers in full uniform will receive a coupon for a Trading Post discount (10 % off a single purchase up to $40)

16. Do I need to bring a medical form for only one day and are there restrictions that come with the non-member pass?

17. Jim Massung // July 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm // Reply

Will Arrowmen visitors be allowed access to the OA Indian Village? I assume that it will not be located at the Summit Center but I do not know. I can understand keeping visitors away from lodging areas or from program areas where they would take slots away from Jamboree attendees. It seems to me that the OA Village and perhaps other areas would be able to accommodate both visitors and attendees alike.

18. greg roszczipka // July 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm // Reply

I’d still like to drive down for Saturday events with my son. My BMI is too high to be a full registrant and wonder if there is a restriction for visitors. And is the visitor program working out okay.

1 Trackbacks & Pingbacks