Meet your 2013 Silver Buffalo class

Words can’t adequately describe our gratitude for the sacrifice that Silver Buffalo recipients have made to Scouting over their lives, but I’ll offer two anyway: Thank you.

Thank you to the 12 men and women who will receive Scouting’s highest honor for adults. The distinguished dozen will get their medals in a special recognition ceremony at the National Annual Meeting in May in Grapevine, Texas.

And they’ll join a prestigious list that includes Jimmy Stewart, Yogi Berra, Bill Gates, Robert Baden-Powell, and many more who have kept Scouting strong for more than a century.

Here are the 2013 recipients:

The Silver Buffalo Award square knot and medal.

The Silver Buffalo Award square knot and medal.

Carlos J. Arboleya — Miami, Fla.

Jean Arnold — Lebanon, Pa.

George N. Boulukos — Freeport, N.Y.

Jack S. Butler II — Blairsville, Ga.

Raymond Capp — Nashville, Tenn.

Ralph De la Vega — Alpharetta, Ga.

Russ Hunsaker — Salt Lake City, Utah

William Keeler — Timonium, Md.

Steve McGowan — Cross Lanes, W.Va.

Ellie Morrison — Waco, Texas

John F. Pyfer, Jr. — Lancaster, Pa.

James Wilson — McLean, Va.

Related posts

2012 Silver Buffalo Award recipients

2011 Silver Buffalo Award recipients

2010 Silver Buffalo Award recipients

17 Comments on Meet your 2013 Silver Buffalo class

1. Joseph C. Carter // February 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm // Reply

thanks. I’ll email her today and call her tonight.

2. Congrats to all!!!

3. Congrats to all!!

4. Is there a summary of the citations explaining why each was chosen?

• Gary,

I’ll post that and photos of the recipients once I get it. Just have the names right now.

Bryan

5. Congratulations to each of these dedicated volunteers!

6. Andrew Yiannakos, Brooklyn Council, New York // February 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm // Reply

Awesome – I know George Boulukos, and in his quiet way, has volunteered for over 50 years, I guess. Especially helpful and generous to his Council on Long Island and as national Chairman of our Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting. AXIOS! (He is worthy)

7. Patti Murphy Dohn // February 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm // Reply

Congratulations to Baltimore’s Cardinal Keeler!! We are so proud that he is receiving this great honor!!

8. Would there be any harm in identifying William Keeler as Cardinal William Keeler?

9. Catherine Smith // February 9, 2013 at 10:36 pm // Reply

I wonder why Cardinal William Keeler of the Archdiocese of Baltimore is listed as William Keeler?

• Probably the same reason I wouldn’t call my Congressman, Commanding Officer, or anyone else by their professional title if we’re both volunteers within Scouting. We’re all on the same level as volunteers and not all of us are Catholic, military subordinates or in a capacity that requires us to refer to each other by title. This doesn’t mean we hold each other in any less regard.

• For the same reason I’m not ID’ed as “Lieutenant Colonel Mike Walton” on the Silver Beaver or Silver Scouter Award programs. Brad has it right below…

• Sophia Niarchos // February 10, 2013 at 8:45 pm // Reply

To both Mike and Brad…I meant neither a thumb’s “up” or “down” but I do wonder about the appropriateness of omitting any title, but especially that of an ordained priest/cardinal/bishop, etc. I don’t know. I think if you’re in a conversation among peers, certainly you wouldn’t refer to someone by their title but if you’re being recognized in a formal ceremony or on a list announcing you’ve been selected, formality would be in order.

10. Sophia Niarchos // February 10, 2013 at 8:46 pm // Reply

How does one nominate an adult leader for this award and can Scout families attend the ceremony?

11. http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Silver_Buffalo_512-102.pdf

12. Jim Kern, Lancaster Ohio // February 21, 2013 at 9:58 am // Reply

Congrats to Steve McGowan and Jack Butler; 2 well deserving volunteers.

2 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. More on the 2013 Silver Buffalo recipients’ service to youth « Bryan on Scouting
  2. Meet your 2014 Silver Buffalo Award class « Bryan on Scouting