Points in the Paint: Ohio troop’s trailer a slam dunk for the BSA

Want to get your unit’s recruiting up to speed?

Consider hauling your “Join Scouting” message everywhere your pack, troop, team, or crew travels.

Start by taking a page from Canton, Ohio, Troop 4’s playbook, which just wrapped its trailer with a complete visual history of the unit.

Michael Gorfido, assistant Scoutmaster, writes that the trailer has been “completely wrapped with graphics that tell the whole Troop 4 history in picture form and a nifty timeline that features WD Boyce, Baden-Powell, handbooks for each period, and the history of Scouting, including the 100th year celebration. It’s really cool.”

Troop 4 was formed in 1915, making it the oldest continually chartered troop in the Buckeye Council, Gorfido says.

“Our troop has more than 150 Eagles, a storied history of very committed Scoutmasters, has participated in Pipestone every year, Klondike, and goes to Philmont every other year,” Gorfido continues. “I transferred my son there two years ago because of the rich heritage and wanted him to experience that.”

Find some more photos of Troop 4’s mobile masterpiece below.

Related posts

Nine tips for preventing troop trailer theft

Take a look at some of my favorite troop trailers

More photos of Troop 4’s trailer

17 Comments on Points in the Paint: Ohio troop’s trailer a slam dunk for the BSA

1. Jack Ablon // June 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm // Reply

I strongly reccommend only troops with SECURE parking for their trailer do this. Otherwise, such a beautiful trailer is like a beacon with signs that say, “Free camping Equipment”.

• Hi all we were going to wrap our Troop Trailer but the cost over $3,600.00 was way over our head, even the charter partner was upset and we got a very large discount, Everyone the wrapping is not for everyone unless you have a lot of extra money or your troop is doing a fund raiser just for your trailer. My committee and the scout worked to gather for our design. It was just way to costly for a small troop like ours.

2. I was going to do something similar, but my problem was that I ASKED THE BSA FOR PERMISSION to use the logos and slogans (like it says in the license agreement and logo guides) I WAS TOLD N O .

• Gene ORourke // July 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm // Reply

Brian – this would actually make a good blog topic, or even a good magazine article. What are the requirements to do something like this “within the system?” Or, are you better off just doing it, and asking for forgiveness if anyone decides to complain? Another thought – Troop 4’s design is obviously a professional job – would they be allowed to share the design with other troops? Or even sell it? All kinds of interesting brand-management topics come to mind.

3. Worcester, MA // June 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm // Reply

how much of the work did the boys do

4. Shawn Graham // June 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm // Reply

Who cares how much work the boys did? Did the boys purchase the vehicle to drive the trailer? Why do I keep seeing all these complaints about Adults supporting their units? Adults are there to assist not just watch. Set the bar high! Deliver a quality program and boys will exceed your expectations.

5. Worcester, MA // June 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm // Reply

thought the troop is a boy-led activity

6. With our troop rapidly coming up on 100 years, the design was my way of giving back to the troop for all the amazing good it is doing for my son and for all the other scouts. I wanted to capture the troop history and create a dynamic visual that says; “it’s okay to be in scouting and, it’s actually cool”. If we are in this for the right reasons, we have plenty of adult-guiding (while the scouts are working to keep our troop boy-lead) to do. We all know how difficult and challenging it can be today, to not only keep boys interested in scouting (all the way through) let alone attracting potential new kids. So, let’s all celebrate what scouting really represents and provides, and cheer other troops who are trying to keep what Boyce and Powell had once envisioned. Let’s all row together and get behind our units, lead by example, and give back ourselves to an amazing and privileged service to the next generation of leaders. Men, all of this is about the boys. It’s about the scouts in front of us and those to come.

• This is awesome!!!! I would be interested, like the others on this link, in the graphics, design and how to get something similar for the trailer we hope to get. We have outgrown our trailer with a steady rise in membership. I want to be able to put forth a plan and a visual that gets everyone involved in the effort knowing that they have something for the long term. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

7. This is outstanding. I can appreciate the amount of time it took to not only do the design, but to solicit ideas from the scouts, work with the PLC, convince the troop committee it is a good idea, and then to work with a graphic vehicle wrap company that they should do it for a discount. Its amazing how much can get done in “just an hour a week”.

8. As adults it is our job to see that the unit has everything it needs to succeed. Two years ago a webelo’s dad made weekly comments about the plight of our two fading trailers. “Mike we really need to do something with those trailers.” He said it over and and over as he was leaving his meeting and I was coming for the troop meeting. Finally he said “Can you just bring them to my body shop?” I had never thought of what the impact would have on my Troop. 3 weeks later we rolled into Camporee with the best looking trailers in our District. The pride showed in our boys. We had given them options on colors and graphics that fit a very small budget and what they had picked really worked well. Two years later we still get compliments on the trailers. Now we are working on an LED lighting system for both and trying to figure out a way to make one of the trailers into a media center with speakers, TV’s, etc. to be used to recruit at bigger events. With the new gaming merit badge coming out it might just be the next big thing… I can see it now, Mike Row doing a show on Discovery, “Pimp my Boy Scout Trailer”…. LOL

9. Nice job! I’m sure the boys are proud when they are rollin’ down the road. Heads High! : )

10. Amazing job, Michael. Would’ve loved to have had something this cool when I was in the Scouts, what, 52 years ago?!?! Whoa. What a great way to inspire them to keep their heads up and rollin’ with pride.
    Dave Galasso
    Mexico City, Mexico

11. Tony Flores // July 8, 2012 at 10:51 am // Reply

We are looking into a new trailer now. These graphics are awesome! Who designed it, and how can we get one like it?

12. We are redoing our new trailer and its being wrapped how can we get some of the graphics or could we used them. That trailer looks so cool.

13. American Scout Graphics (no website yet)

I do:
    • Customized Trailer Sides and Full Wrap Design
    • Troop, Pack and Crew Logo Design
    • Vehicle Window Decals Design
    • Class-B Shirts Design & Screen Printing
    • Digital Wall Murals, Special Event Banners Design
    • Eagle Scout Recognition Banner Stands Design

My name is Michael Gorfido / Creative Design
    Email: darte@sssnet.com
    Leave VM: 330-417-4331

14. We just showcased the trailer at Summer Camp 2012 and then this past weekend we had it displayed at BPI (Baden Powell Institute) in Canton, OH this past weekend and had a number of charters with interest to do something similar.

The overriding message I want to convey to everyone is that “It’s still cool to be in scouting”. And, if we can “up the image” at the charter level, wether it is a great new logo design (I work with PLCs to get their ideas of who they are), Cool Class-B t-shirts, logo window decals, or vehicle wrap graphics, then we can watch our enrollment increase and keep these kids in scouting all the way through Eagle.

You can email to get things started: darte@sssnet.com

1 Trackbacks & Pingbacks