I’ve never written a gear review. Best leave that to the experts (like our gear guy Stephen Regenold), I say.
But after using the Avex Wells AutoSpout water bottle for the past few weeks, I just had to tell you about it.
Turns out, it’s the best water bottle I’ve ever used. Here’s why:
I’ve tried a lot of H2O vessels in my time. I’ve used them indoors and out, on the trail and on the street. I’ve shoved them into backpacks, car cupholders, and bike cages.
Each one, though, came with a compromise. The traditional Nalgene, with me through it all — Philmont treks, college classes — has that large mouth that’s great for mixing in Gatorade but less useful for actual drinking.
I like the look of Sigg water bottles, but I dropped one from waist height and put a quarter-size dent into it.
A CamelBak flip-top I used for a while made sipping simple, but I needed a second hand to open.
And then came the Avex. Could a company I hadn’t heard of make the perfect, compromise-free water bottle?
Yep. It’s got it all: a one-hand design (push a button and the spout flips open; use your thumb to shut the lid when you’re done), durable (BPA-free) plastic that has already survived a few drops in the parking lot, and a so-called “spout shield” to keep germs out.
And at $14, it won’t dent the wallet.
What I liked
- One-handed drinking (crucial on a bike or in the car)
- Spout shield to keep nasty stuff out
- Durable, BPA-free plastic
- Built-in clip that can attach the bottle to gear
- Reasonable price
What I didn’t like
- Bottle makes a faint whooshing sound when you’re drinking. Don’t buy if stealth is a priority.
Features (from the manufacturer)
- Patent-pending AUTOSPOUT™ lid features a press-to-release button that opens the drinking spout. When the button is pressed, the durable silicone spout pops open for drinking.
- This water bottle features one-handed operation for easy drinking during activities.
- Patent-pending AUTOSPOUT™ lid design eliminates leaks.
- Spout shield covers and protects the spout when the spout is retracted.
- Water bottle has a handle with built-in carabiner clip to attach to gym bags, backpacks and gear.
- Handle folds down out of the way when not in use.
- Rugged high-imact-resistant design and materials.
- Volume markings help you gauge water intake.
- No plastic odors or taste because this water bottle is made out of FDA-approved, BPA-free Tritan™.
- Water bottle is top-rack dishwasher-safe.
- 25 oz. capacity.
Where to buy
At the Avex online store.
Disclaimer: Avex sent me a free, unsolicited product sample. Avex did not pay or otherwise compensate me for writing this review.