The calendar says summer doesn’t begin for a couple of weeks, but don’t tell that to the folks at Philmont.
Summer has arrived at the New Mexico high-adventure base. The first weeklong conference at the Philmont Training Center started yesterday.
And later this week, the first crews will begin their journey into Philmont’s legendary backcountry.
Here’s a look at the numbers:
- 2,100 crews will take a trek at Philmont this summer.
- 22,700 Scouts and Scouters will be on those treks — that’s the most in Philmont’s history.
- 50 miles is the length of the shortest 10-day trek, though most crews will add side hikes to increase their mileage.
- 110 miles is the length of the longest 10-day trek.
- 1,070 staff members will help make sure these participants have the trip of a lifetime.
- 3,000 Scouters are registered for one of the center’s excellent training conferences.
Speaking of those training conferences, there’s still time to register for one for this summer. Simply contact the Philmont Training Center to find out more information.
But let me offer a word of warning to those planning a visit: Go to Philmont once, and you’ll be hooked for a lifetime!